Nike x Notre Dame College Football Playoff Concept

Scheuer

9VSnbqk.png?1

When Under Armour announced that they would be equipping Notre Dame with alternate uniforms for the Cotton Bowl CFP game, everyone's minds jumped to a potential 1979 throwback. The 1979 Cotton Bowl was one of the most legendary games in Notre Dame and college football history, when Joe Montana led the Irish to an incredible comeback victory against Houston. The uniform featured a white jersey with bright kelley green numbers, something that would stand out just as well today. While I quite like the set that Under Armour rolled out, they missed a huge opportunity to include green more prominently in the uniform. Based on the team's marketing this season, I thought it was fitting to take a stab at a uniform that was more based around green that the Irish would wear through the playoffs. 

For this uniform, I took the route of a fauxback, combining different elements from Notre Dame's great uniform history. The set is based around a shade of green somewhere in between the 2000s green and the 1979 green. The helmets are the standard gold, but with a modernized shamrock on one side, calling back to the helmets of the 1950s and 60s. The jersey is a recolored version of the current ones, prominently featuring the green numbers with a gold outline. The pants are standard, with a green ND logo on one side. For the socks, I chose to go with a striping pattern used on the shoulders of Irish jerseys in the 50s. It helps emphasize the fauxback look while keeping it modern and clean. 

fg9XADY.png?1

Looks good. I especially like the sock striping. If Notre Dame and OU were to meet in the final, I assume ND would be the home team, so I would love to see your take on a home version of these alternates for the Irish in either Navy or Green

Archived