Do the Browns, Bengals, Broncos and Bears, Dolphins, and Buccaneers all use the same orange?

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Where’d you get that?

It doesn’t seem particularly accurate. I don’t know where it’s from, but Team Color Codes has been marginally accurate at best in my experience, and TruColor is definitely the best source for this stuff, especially if it’s recent history we’re talking about.

From what I’ve gathered through TruColor over the years, in terms of print colors (what are typically considered the “official team colors”), I think every one of those clubs except for the Bears switched over to the same orange when Reebok took over in 2002, while the Bears were the only team using the darker, redder, more burnt orange. Since then, both the Dolphins and Buccaneers moved to the brighter Tennessee-style orange, but the Dolphins switched back this year. The Browns switched to an orange even darker and redder than the Bears’ orange in 2015.

The fabric palette is typically a bit more condensed, so there very well may be only two orange fabrics used even though there are four print oranges currently in use; the bright, vivid orange used by most of the teams, and the brighter orange used by the Buccaneers, and previously used by the Dolphins. It honestly looks like the Broncos might use the lighter orange for their uniform fabric when you compare them in game to other orange teams, even though they use the typical orange as their print color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

the Browns made a point to say that they changed their orange to make it more red when they killed their uniforms by making them garbage that someone crapped on after eating garbage.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

the Browns made a point to say that they changed their orange to make it more red when they killed their uniforms by making them garbage that someone crapped on after eating garbage.

Yep.  Lost in all the horror involved in looking at that nightmare design is that the color scheme has been downgraded by choosing an orange that doesn't work nearly as well with brown.  It would really take a committee of CCSL experts to decide which is the biggest NFL downgrade of all... Browns or Bucs.

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

which is the biggest NFL downgrade of all... Browns or Bucs.

I don't think there's an answer to this.  It's like looking at a body with no head, and another body with bullet holes all through it, and trying to decide which is more dead.

I really don't think that there's a single positive take away from either of those sets.  Literally nothing that I'd like to see carried forward.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/22/2018 at 9:06 AM, MCM0313 said:

I didn't say they HAD to have a unique color, only that if they chose to I read somewhere several years ago that each team could only have one. It could've been wrong, I don't know.

Fun fact: the Cowboys' silver-green pant color is also used as a non-uniform accent color by the Eagles.

Not true. The Eagles use a shade of Silver in their helmet decals that used to be designated by the Cowboys as their helmet color. Nike changed the Silver in print, but in reality I don't believe their helmet changed colors at all.

7 hours ago, TruColor said:

Not true. The Eagles use a shade of Silver in their helmet decals that used to be designated by the Cowboys as their helmet color. Nike changed the Silver in print, but in reality I don't believe their helmet changed colors at all.

Really? Hmmm. I thought I saw that on your site. Guess I misremembered.

Really joining into this discussion way late, but another aspect to consider is that the NFL provides textile colors for matching, but ultimately Nike is using their own proprietary set of fabrics for the on-field stuff.

For a number of years now I've been compiling as much information of the Nike color palette as I can find, but they inexplicably define these colors as CMYK which in my opinion makes them difficult to depict digitally.

3 hours ago, TruColor said:

Really joining into this discussion way late, but another aspect to consider is that the NFL provides textile colors for matching, but ultimately Nike is using their own proprietary set of fabrics for the on-field stuff.

For a number of years now I've been compiling as much information of the Nike color palette as I can find, but they inexplicably define these colors as CMYK which in my opinion makes them difficult to depict digitally.

Just from a sourcing perspective no apparel company can effectively maintain fabrics in all of the custom team colors for retail or even team outfitting for that matter. This rings especially true when comparing colors on physical products in the open environment. The average just sees navy or orange (with the exceptions being vols or longhorn shades). Sure for things like sublimation, screening, embroidery etc. you have a lot more flexibility for custom hues than stocking 5 unique shades of orange and navy dri-fit or cotton/poly jersey blend across multiple contract factories.

Archived