NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (League COMPLETE 5/28)

JB Designs

With the NFL adopting a COLOR RUSH Series and its relative success after pulling back a bit on some of the nastier designs, its only a matter of time before we see the same (or at least something similar) in the other major sports leagues. Today, we take it to the ice and begin a 31-team look at how to add some pop to the lone major sport played on a white surface. We'll start it off with the Atlantic Division in alphabetical order, but if you have any requests, we can see about switching up the order. I've got about half the league done at this point and I'll be working on the rest as the others are posted, so we should be able to keep these coming one-per-day for the full 31.

Some ground rules for the series:

1) Each team will have a unique primary jersey color in their division. This would allow any divisional match-up to be a COLOR RUSH game and guarantees some unique looks for the league.

2) Each team will have a unique primary-secondary scheme in the league. For example, though there may be a few black COLOR RUSH looks, there will only be one black and white team and one black and red team and so forth.

3) Each team will adopt a COLOR RUSH jersey of a different primary color than their primary home jersey to give fans something new to look at (and something new to buy). 

First up,

The Boston Bruins

Boston adopts a Gold and Brown look inspired by their history and their first Winter Classic look. Overall pretty self explanatory. Gold and Brown, the boys are ready to Bear Down.

33BAnwp.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One day in and we’ve already fallen off schedule. To make up for it, we’ll be doing three teams today (one for Yesterday, one for today, and an extra to make up for the Christmas confusion). First up...

The Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo rocks the Royal Blue for their Color Rush. The Winter Classic leaping buffalo finds a new home on the chest and the crossed sabres move to the sleeves, pants, and helmet. The yoke ends feature end caps inspired by buffalo horns, a new adaptation of the Bison-head look of Buffalo’s black and red days.

NMPaaFX.png

As always, C&C appreciated. I’ll see you again in a couple hours.

Next Up...

The Detroit Red Wings

Detroit isn't exactly known for their creativity, so its hard to expect anything different from their Color Rush. The Red Wings are rocking a white heavy look that swaps the colors on their current road sleeves, giving us white arms with red stripes opposite of what we're used to seeing. Swap the winged wheel out for the Stadium Series steaking-D and we're battle ready. The Red Wings have a solid look going for them, so its best not to mess with it too much.

vFonlGY.png

Let me know if you've got any C&C on the three we've seen so far. We've got a Christmas surprise up next (We're heading outside the Atlantic for this one).

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (DET added 12/26)

Time for that special Christmas Surprise...

The New Jersey Devils

The Devils throwback to their original look for their Color Rush, but with a new twist. Green takes over as the primary here while the phantom stripe created by using the same pattern as the original whites remains. The pants remain identical to the green ones used in the Devils original set, pushing the Color Rush theme through the entire uniform.

BdEdjiU.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (NJD added 12/26)

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The Florida Panthers

Florida banks hard on state pride with their Color Rush look. After adopting the Florida state flag pattern in their laces in the move to Adidas, the Panthers go beyond dipping their toes into the water and dive headlong into it by adopting the crossing bars into the arm striping. This pattern melds into a chest stripe design on a sweater entirely devoid of red. In its place, navy is promoted and more gold and white are inserted into the look. The equipment follows this pattern and a simple Florida wordmark can be seen on both the helmet and pants, keeping the uniform from getting too crazy with its ambitious sweater design.

FYqboyU.png

C&C appreciated as always.

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (FLA added 12/27)
15 hours ago, GT Designs said:

They all look great! I’m guessing a St.Pats Design for the Leafs

Thanks. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. We've got three more teams before we hit Toronto.

The first of those three teams...

The Montreal Canadiens

Montreal pays tribute to the city's hockey heritage by adopting the maroon of the (well) Maroons. The Canadiens stay on brand with a chest stripe design paired with thick white cuffs and collar to give it that retro feel. The TV numbers rest squarely in the chest striping while both the front crest and #OB peek out on either side. Clean, simple, and nothing too crazy. What we've come to expect out of the lone team from the La Belle Province.

KucKuWK.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (MTL added 12/28)
20 hours ago, JB Designs said:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The Florida Panthers

Florida banks hard on state pride with their Color Rush look. After adopting the Florida state flag pattern in their laces in the move to Adidas, the Panthers go beyond dipping their toes into the water and dive headlong into it by adopting the crossing bars into the arm striping. This pattern melds into a chest stripe design on a sweater entirely devoid of red. In its place, navy is promoted and more gold and white are inserted into the look. The equipment follows this pattern and a simple Florida wordmark can be seen on both the helmet and pants, keeping the uniform from getting too crazy with its ambitious sweater design.

FYqboyU.png

C&C appreciated as always.

Not a Panthers fan, but this may be the sexiest FLA concept I have ever seen... Love the rest of them as well, but that cats jersey...

canada.png

The Ottawa Senators

With a concerning lack of creativity in their jerseys in recent years, Ottawa tries to buck the trend of their recent looks. The sideways centurion returns along with a new take on the barber pole striping complete with a sublimated laurel patter. The shoulder patch of the early 2000s returns, but its wings are clipped so it fits better as a shoulder patch.

YnBo1zr.png

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far. Keep it coming and I'll be sure to keep the concepts coming as well.

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (OTT added 12/29)

Before 2018 finishes, we finish off the Atlantic...

The Toronto Maple Leafs

The Leafs throw back, way back, for their Color Rush look, adopting the color and layout of the Toronto St. Pats jerseys of the early 1920s. Thick striping dominates from the hem to the cuff to the collar and simplicity reigns across the set. Green means go, so the buds are ready for battle.OMK3OqF.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (TOR added 12/31)

My apologies for the delay. Got caught up in the New Year's festivities. Today we head to the Metro!

The Carolina Hurricanes

Carolina certainly pushed the envelope when they unveiled this year's alternate sweater. Their Color Rush recognizes this progress and takes it a step further. Storm grey is adopted as the primary color here while black and red serve as accents and white is entirely omitted. The thick-thin-thick pattern of their alternate is adopted here as well and a black yoke supports the top of the set. Outside of the logos, black never touches storm grey, always separated by red in some way shape or form.

WXVjWFX.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (CAR added 1/3)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 4:45 PM, ldconcepts said:

I think the second flag should be added to the crest here, I don't think it would be very hard if you overlaid their current secondary logo over the triangle.

The last few have been really nice.

You've got a good point there. I'll see what I can put together on that end. Originally went with the single flag logo because how vertical the alternate logo is really bothers me, but its worth at least a look.

My apologies for falling off schedule again, back for the beginning of a new semester here at college, so I've had some things to handle up on. Moving right along...

The Columbus Blue Jackets

This is actually of the first (if not the first) sets I designed for this series. I love the double-blue look for the Jackets as well as the cannon logo, so both of those are on display here. The Jackets keep the navy full-length yoke and the stars of their primaries, albeit a bit rearranged. Chevron striping inspired by the Union army adorns the sleeves and vintage white or cream is used throughout the set, most prominently in the one-color adaptation of the primary logo on the sleeves. All in all this color rush is meant to build on the success of the Jackets' Alt by cleaning it up a bit and giving fans yet another unique Jackets look to love.

PVznMU2.png

• JB Designs changed the title to NHL COLOR RUSH by JB Designs (CBJ added 1/11)

Archived