NHL City Edition Series - 03/13/19 Seattle posted (32/31)

Edubdesign

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's inch closer to completion with these bad boys.

Here's my favourite jersey of the bunch, for the Flyers. What could the logo be? What would be the most logical choice in 2019 for a new Flyers logo?

Hmmm...

CIX2pQk.png

The other uni is for the New York Islanders. Here's a jersey inspired by the New York subway map and the trains linking Long Island to the rest of the city. Some Helvetica numbers, odd stripes, another new logo (based off the logo on Chico Resch's Isles mask back in the day) and some sleeve numbers meant to resemble subway tokens.

0ukHbRJ.png

Okay. Mixed signals, but okay. 🤨

Anyway, here are two more teams. 

Here's Nashville, using a smooth little guitar-neck sash.

4iyQEJ1.png

Aaaaand here are the defending champs, the Washington Capitals. Using an unused logo (that I love dearly) by Andrew Sterlachini, this one is a stars-and-stripes spangled dandy.

nVKo3z7.png

Only two more teams remain: St. Louis and Pittsburgh. What do you think?

Tampa Bay looks really cool, but that sleeve piping feels kinda shoehorned in. Maybe fill in a black sleeve-length yoke around them?

Gritty's eyes look like fried eggs. Kinda fitting, I guess... 😄

The Islanders' jersey looks good besides the Helvetica, which is too wide for the back number. I think the N in the logo is a bit heavy compared to the Y.

Nashville is almost there; just move the pick logo down to be more centered on the sash.

The Capitals look great! That WDC is a really clever logo. It's fine as-is, but maybe make the numbers red to match the DC flag more? (It currently feels way more 'Murica than DC)

I look forward to the final two! If you're looking for ideas, I'd suggest incorporating the blue+white checkers from the city seal for Pittsburgh.

I don’t tend to like many caps concepts bc they never can seem to get a better logo than what they have, not sayin their current logo is great, it could definitely be worked on, however most people can’t fix it. That’s monogram is a good logo I wouldn’t mind seeing full time. 

And the guitar pick might hit too close to the blues but it’s much better than the cat thing they have now tbh

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Alright. Let's finish up the league with the last two teams. They're two particular favourites of mine.

Pittsburgh first. Black and gold (since nothing says Pittsburgh like black and gold), striping based on the girders of the Fort Pitt Bridge, with those three US Steel stars (in the shape of Stars of David - a subtle memorial to the Tree of Life victims) and a big Pittsburgh "P".

uZqYd3V.png

And the last design of the bunch - actually the first one I finished - for the St. Louis Blues.

Instead of shouting out the blues, let's pay tribute to rock. Specifically, let's pay tribute to Chuck Berry, born and raised in St. Louis, and the first pressing of his legendary "Johnny B. Goode".

2KPLwHf.png

Chuck_berry_-_johnny_b_goode_-_record_la

I'm open to doing other concepts for NHL cities (if you've got a good idea that I haven't done) and updates on the stuff I've already posted.

But... yeah. That's 31 teams up, 31 teams down.

4 hours ago, Eric Westhaver said:

Alright. Let's finish up the league with the last two teams. They're two particular favourites of mine.

Pittsburgh first. Black and gold (since nothing says Pittsburgh like black and gold), striping based on the girders of the Fort Pitt Bridge, with those three US Steel stars (in the shape of Stars of David - a subtle memorial to the Tree of Life victims) and a big Pittsburgh "P".

uZqYd3V.png

And the last design of the bunch - actually the first one I finished - for the St. Louis Blues.

Instead of shouting out the blues, let's pay tribute to rock. Specifically, let's pay tribute to Chuck Berry, born and raised in St. Louis, and the first pressing of his legendary "Johnny B. Goode".

2KPLwHf.png

Chuck_berry_-_johnny_b_goode_-_record_la

I'm open to doing other concepts for NHL cities (if you've got a good idea that I haven't done) and updates on the stuff I've already posted.

But... yeah. That's 31 teams up, 31 teams down.

How about doing City Editions for extinct teams? (Nordiques, Whalers, Golden Seals, Scouts etc.)

Also, could you do something practical for the flyers? Like some sort of liberty bell thing?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 6:56 PM, Blindsay said:

Also, could you do something practical for the flyers? Like some sort of liberty bell thing?

43121189_506400449863191_680320758737525

Anyway, let's do some updates.

First off: the Rangers. I know the first post was a a little... controversial for being busy, but those who loved it really seemed to love it. In order to declutter, I made the pants blue and cut back on the stripes a bit, while keeping some of those New York touches.

ExlgPF1.png

Second, here's Pittsburgh. When I posted these to my design IG page, a Penguins fan blog reposted my concept and literally every person in the comments despised it. Now, maybe they just didn't get it, but either way, 50 people might not be wrong. I understated this one a bit too, making it black but switching it all up otherwise.

PRzEAOf.png

You sure? No liberty bell? I mean gritty is awesome, but what if you did this last year, when gritty was just a thought?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

3 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

You sure? No liberty bell? I mean gritty is awesome, but what if you did this last year, when gritty was just a thought?

Honestly, I think hockey fans in general would really embrace a Gritty jersey, not just Flyers fans. I feel that he's become, in a weird way, an ambassador for the city. Last year I might have gone with something different, maybe a Rocky Balboa thing, maybe this, maybe that, but we'll never need to worry about that.

Either way, if I was going to redesign something for the Flyers, I wouldn't use the Liberty Bell. I think that's almost too easy – mostly since the 76ers and Phillies already have logos featuring the bell.

Also, apologies if the Gritty joke up there seemed rude. That was just rhythm and opportunity.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, Eric Westhaver said:

Continuing on here with the Blue Jackets, living up to their name. I know their current brand has been inspired by iconography from the Civil War, since Columbus is where the uniforms of the Union Army were made.

Considering that history, I looked through what Union Army uniforms looked like and found a striking look in there - that of a cavalry sergeant. Those uniforms would feature three chevron stripes on the arms, bright cyan pants and a special crossed cannons insignia. So, I figured that's what I'd do for CBJ's new "United we Stand" uniforms.

5sDoA9e.png

On another note... I'm getting tired of doing the standard "alphabetical order" thing. I've got all the teams already done. What should I post next?

Artillery wore red chevrons and red pants stripes during the Civil War. Going with buff to give it a vintage look still works though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, MSO94 said:

Love the template and the concepts are nicce. BUt that collar is so big  WHY ?

It's meant to be an integrated safety measure for the uniform, made out of Kevlar and recycled fibres - think like a neck guard that doesn't get clingy or wet.

Anyway, here's a new design. Since we know there will be a team in Seattle soon, but we don't know what the name will be or what the colours would be... why not give it a hack and get weird?

nJTm5aUh.jpg

More still to come.

Archived