NHL City Edition Series - 03/13/19 Seattle posted (32/31)

Edubdesign

Here's a new series. 

I like the idea of Nike's NBA City Edition uniforms - making departures from a team's existing brand for local shout-outs, using bits and pieces of a team's history, cultural references, etc. I wish that would branch out to other sports.

With that in mind, I've decided to make City Edition uniforms for all 31 NHL teams.

Let's start with the Anaheim Ducks. Since the team has started to embrace its location in Orange County and history with Disney - even bringing back some of the logos and colours - it made sense to bring back some old heat with new touches.

Anaheim's City Edition uniform is the "Wildwing 2019" uniform.

JoDfLnN.png

And to continue the series kickoff, here are the Arizona Coyotes.

This uniform is meant to recall the look of sedimentary rock formations in Arizona - particularly one famous example, "The Wave", at the appropriately named Coyote Buttes, AZ - and turn them into a retro-style barber pole stripe pattern. It also features a pattern similar to the Arizona state flag on the arms.

Here are the Arizona Coyotes "Rock Solid" uniforms.

IwnDn5L.png

And just for reference, here's a shot of "The Wave".

the-wave.jpg

That's two down, 29 to go. Let me know what you think, if there's anything you'd like to see changed, or if you have any ideas for what I can do with other teams.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's really funny is I had just started working on a city edition series of my own about a week ago.  

Everything looks great, especially the Coyotes jersey. No complaints for either one, especially since you managed to make the wild wing logo work. Showcasing a skate design for each team is also a cool and unique idea.

I know it's a long way off but I'm excited to see what you do with the Caps!

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm a little unsure how I could simplify either of those jerseys without ruining the effects. We'll see. I'll go over them again in the next few days.

In the meantime, here's Boston's "Battle Scars" uniform - a fauxback of their 30s and 40s unis with hints of scarring from Gerry Cheevers' famous mask in the striping.

wpNl8kz.png

Boston is quite interesting. Might wanna switch black for brown. Arizona is simply amazing though. Very creative idea to use the wave as barber pole striping. The only thing I think you're missing on that uniform is sleeve/shoulder numbers. Those could help a lot. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

As much as I like the idea for Boston, there's nothing about it that's distinctively related to the Bruins. If I saw somebody wearing that, my first idea would be that it's a beer league jersey rather than an NHL one.

It's super well done, and the idea behind it is great, it's just not very Bruins-y to me.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, Eric Westhaver said:

Here's a new series. 

I like the idea of Nike's NBA City Edition uniforms - making departures from a team's existing brand for local shout-outs, using bits and pieces of a team's history, cultural references, etc. I wish that would branch out to other sports.

With that in mind, I've decided to make City Edition uniforms for all 31 NHL teams.

Let's start with the Anaheim Ducks. Since the team has started to embrace its location in Orange County and history with Disney - even bringing back some of the logos and colours - it made sense to bring back some old heat with new touches.

Anaheim's City Edition uniform is the "Wildwing 2019" uniform.

JoDfLnN.png

And to continue the series kickoff, here are the Arizona Coyotes.

This uniform is meant to recall the look of sedimentary rock formations in Arizona - particularly one famous example, "The Wave", at the appropriately named Coyote Buttes, AZ - and turn them into a retro-style barber pole stripe pattern. It also features a pattern similar to the Arizona state flag on the arms.

Here are the Arizona Coyotes "Rock Solid" uniforms.

IwnDn5L.png

And just for reference, here's a shot of "The Wave".

the-wave.jpg

That's two down, 29 to go. Let me know what you think, if there's anything you'd like to see changed, or if you have any ideas for what I can do with other teams.

While I think it looks good, I think there would be an issue with the coyotes logo looking too similar to the Islam logo. Is anyone else seeing this?

So I took some advice for changes to the Arizona and Boston sets - looking for feedback on those.

First off, though, is the next uniform in the series: Buffalo, going "Back to Black" for a fauxback return to the 1990's Goat Head era, mixing in some touches from other former Sabres unis.

JOaUMLM.png

Here's an updated, slightly simplified Arizona set. I doubt there would be any issue with the logo looking like a Muslim star and crescent, so I'm keeping it as is.

bWLyqYv.png

And an update for Boston, with brown instead of black. Not sure how I feel about it.

3af3tT2.png

Alrighty then. Let's get weird.

Calgary is next up. The city is called "Cowtown" for good reason. It's smack dab in the middle of the wild west. Cowboy culture runs deep there, including the world's largest Western festival, the Stampede. Sports teams there are called the Cowboys, the Stampeders, the Wranglers.

The Flames' old thirds paid some slight tribute to that by showing a pointed shoulder yoke, like old style western shirts. People thought it was too weird. I don't think it was weird enough.

With no further ado, here are the "Cowboy Country" Calgary Flames. 

fsydEw0.png

Anaheim: I'm sorry to say, Wildwing looks even worse in the current color scheme...

Arizona: Absolutely stunning! I might drop the sleeve flags if I were you, but otherwise perfect!

Boston: Looks better with black, IMO, but those scratches might look better sublimated.

Buffalo: It's a good use of the Head logo. Maybe consider a gray primary color, since Buffalo's the Nickel City?

Calgary: Love the font and primary logo! Looks great as-is, but simplifying just a tad. Maybe include the horseshoe rivets on the numbers and ditch the full horseshoes?

Really cool series with some real beauties! Keep up the good work!

6 hours ago, Eric Westhaver said:

Alrighty then. Let's get weird.

Calgary is next up. The city is called "Cowtown" for good reason. It's smack dab in the middle of the wild west. Cowboy culture runs deep there, including the world's largest Western festival, the Stampede. Sports teams there are called the Cowboys, the Stampeders, the Wranglers.

The Flames' old thirds paid some slight tribute to that by showing a pointed shoulder yoke, like old style western shirts. People thought it was too weird. I don't think it was weird enough.

With no further ado, here are the "Cowboy Country" Calgary Flames. 

fsydEw0.png

Shut up and take my money

Since it's the weekend and I'm feeling happy about not having to work for a couple of days, here's two more designs.

First off, here's something we haven't seen before, a modern set for Chicago. I designed this with two things in mind - to represent the city, not strictly the team, and to do something radically different but still somewhat on brand.

Here are the Blackhawks' new "War Paint" sweaters.

eTEG2Tb.png

Next up are the Colorado Avalanche. When you think of Colorado, the odds are good the first thing you think of is the Rockies. I mean, they named the team after them in a way. So, it only makes sense to have the team celebrate being "Rocky Mountain High".

tdpQmRU.png

Let me know if I'm on the right track with these - I'm seeing a few likes, but not that many comments, good or bad. 

The designs are way too busy for me, I know that's the intent though.  The template is a little awkward for some reason, maybe it's the turtleneck, but man the logos for Colorado, Arizona and especially Carolina are fantastic!  I see a C and H in there and it's still the basic hurricane symbol... Love it.

Archived