NHL City Edition Series - 03/13/19 Seattle posted (32/31)

Edubdesign

Toronto is the only team I've had multiple requests for, so here you go. Once again stealing an idea from the NBA (for the last time in the series, I think), showing off an OVO-inspired black and gold uni with a little bit of Leafs blue (just because I feel like Toronto would riot without the Leafs wearing at least some blue)

DJWZfTl.png

We're now past halfway and we're still going strong.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

This is a fantastic thread!  I love out-of-the-box ideas where nothing is too sacred to totally go to town on.   I'd love to see what you would do with the Whalers.  

Continuing on with the LA Kings - wearing purple and gold, as god intended, but in slightly less saturated shades. The wordmark logo looks a little off and skewed - it's actually meant to look like the Hollywood sign.

O0ryUQ1.png

And on request by @jaytavo305, here are the New Jersey Devils. Horns and hellfire are the name of the game with this, what would be the first all-black jersey the team has ever worn.

ysQKZTv.png

I've got two more jerseys to post, but first let's get to some questions and comments here.

23 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

On the Coyotes, how about substituting orange with copper?

I tried to do that, but I found it clashed with the maroon. The colour you're seeing here is basically the same as the star in the Arizona state flag, maybe brightened a couple of shades.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:19 PM, darkpiranha said:

This is a fantastic thread!  I love out-of-the-box ideas where nothing is too sacred to totally go to town on.   I'd love to see what you would do with the Whalers.  

Why thank you. I love working with a totally blank slate. I might give the Whalers or other defunct teams a shot - I'm currently having some laptop issues though, so there may not be any more new concepts for a little bit, but once that's sorted, it's on my list.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:49 AM, vtgco said:

Dallas is a cool idea, though I think the old star hem is a bit much.

Detroit's uniform totally feels like old sports cars. Good going!

I love the city flag idea for the Canadiens! I understand @NoE38's concerns about the Nordiques, but it doesn't bother me because it matches the other teams in the city well and just feels so Montreal! That said, if that bothered you, you could maybe try red pants and/or a red helmet?

I'd fill in that gap in the logo with silver for Edmonton, but otherwise, looks great.

That Florida concept looks really sweet! I love the neon-style logo; it's just so perfect! My only issue is with the black-on-black numbers. I'd just fill them in pink.

Winnipeg looks fine, though I think you should use the full retro logo.

Some more really great work here! If you're still going out of order, could we see San Jose or Toronto?

Alrighty then - I didn't know what else to do with the hem for the Stars, to be honest. It seemed empty without something and just adding a normal stripe just... it didn't seem like the Stars, you know?

Red pants might be good for Montreal. I'll give that a shot, along with the Edmonton logo and Florida numbers. I wanted to avoid the retro logo for the Jets because I always liked that old jet, thought it was nice and minimalist.

Anyway, with that in mind, here are the Senators and the Sharks.

First, Ottawa. The city has deep indigenous roots and was a centre for Algonquin people long before any government buildings were erected. With that in mind, here is the "Kichi Sibi" uniform - using a triple meaning behind the logo, an "O" for Ottawa, shaped like a sun from traditional Algonquin art and a dreamcatcher.

zDCn4kQ.png

And here are the Sharks. I like the idea behind their new thirds, but not necessarily the execution. I wish there was some more colour. So with that in mind, here's my idea of the "Silicon Sharks".

nBcxDmV.png

6 hours ago, Eric Westhaver said:

Alrighty then - I didn't know what else to do with the hem for the Stars, to be honest. It seemed empty without something and just adding a normal stripe just... it didn't seem like the Stars, you know?

I guess; but I kinda feel like normal striping would work. Either way, it might be nice to have the thickness of the hem striping match the sleeve striping.

I really like that take on San Jose! I'd have two hem stripes coming in opposite directions, since right now it feels kinda unbalanced. Also, an outline around the logo would help.

The Senators look good for the most part. I don't know much about Algonquin art, but the spikes on the hem look kinda out of place, but still good.

I love the Hollywood sign font for LA. Nicely done.

The new Devils logo is interesting; I think it's a slight improvement.

Toronto's pattern feels like a logo for an Olympics hosted in Canada. Kinda cool, IMO, but the colors are jarringly dark compared to the Leafs' normal duds.

Some more good work you've done here! I hope your computer issues are resolved soon!

I love how every NHL team gets inspiration from its own city. Gives off a unique feel to them.

I love to see how my Rangers are like. Who know's? Might be Yankees-inspired? Skyline-inspired? Or a modification of the Americans back in the pre-Original 6 era?

I'm waiting.

9 hours ago, JB Designs said:

Maybe it’s the native inspiration,

maybe it’s the barber pole striping design, but I can’t help but see Chicago when I look at your Ottawa design and I’m not entirely sure what can be done to fix that

How can that be Chicago, though?

Because if I think of Chicago, the first thing in my mind is the mafia. Maybe Eric could do that!

That Sharks jersey is a massive improvement over the stealth look.  I also like the idea behind those jerseys but the decision not have the black and teal separated by white makes for a monochromatic dirge on the ice.  You've fixed this issue with a proper colour hierarchy and some creative striping to boot.  The shoulder yoke is also a tasteful touch that recalls their first Edge look.  My only suggestion would be to make the primary logo a bit smaller and give it a white outline so the fin doesn't get lost against the black background.  Stellar work though, I look forward to seeing what you do for the Canucks.

Well, I'm glad to see this thing is getting some love. Here are two teams that have been requested previously.

Let's start with Minnesota. We're getting wild with this one (with an idea I first did in my old NHL Hitz expansion series that I shamelessly stole from @Jimmy Lethal and @HarperK) and using the woods to create a unique striping pattern. I think it's the happy medium between '90s craziness and '10s clean.

YYEZj0d.png

Now, the Rangers. I won't lie - this is the team I had the most trouble with. There's so much imagery in New York that you just can't settle on one thing. So instead, I threw it all at the wall. There are stars, there are stripes, there are checkerboard stripes just like on Yellow Cabs, there's a skyline and an all-around homage to their old rivals the Americans without completely stealing their look.

Here we go.

07ljMrt.png

That's a very loud jersey set, to be sure, but I'm a fan, personally.

There are eight teams remaining - Nashville, the Islanders, Philly, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Tampa, Vancouver and Washington. Where do we go next?

6 hours ago, Eric Westhaver said:

Well, I'm glad to see this thing is getting some love. Here are two teams that have been requested previously.

Let's start with Minnesota. We're getting wild with this one (with an idea I first did in my old NHL Hitz expansion series that I shamelessly stole from @Jimmy Lethal and @HarperK) and using the woods to create a unique striping pattern. I think it's the happy medium between '90s craziness and '10s clean.

YYEZj0d.png

Now, the Rangers. I won't lie - this is the team I had the most trouble with. There's so much imagery in New York that you just can't settle on one thing. So instead, I threw it all at the wall. There are stars, there are stripes, there are checkerboard stripes just like on Yellow Cabs, there's a skyline and an all-around homage to their old rivals the Americans without completely stealing their look.

Here we go.

07ljMrt.png

There are eight teams remaining - Nashville, the Islanders, Philly, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Tampa, Vancouver and Washington. Where do we go next?

I am crying at the Rangers. It's so beautiful.

7 hours ago, Eric Westhaver said:

YYEZj0d.png

Here we go.

07ljMrt.png

Big yes to wild, big no to rangers. Colors contrast too much and it’s incredibly busy. Stars, Skyline, text, and a stripe? And then the hem stripe as well. Try choosing one. For say the taxi checkers. And settle with it and only use it with the New York text maybe on top of it. Or something like that

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Totally second @BellaSpurs. The Rangers uniform has way too much going on. I'd drop at least 2 elements.

Minnesota is awesome! Maybe incorporate the shooting star somewhere (on a dark green yoke?)

I'd like to see Nashville and Tampa Bay!

18 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Totally second @BellaSpurs. The Rangers uniform has way too much going on. I'd drop at least 2 elements.

Minnesota is awesome! Maybe incorporate the shooting star somewhere (on a dark green yoke?)

I'd like to see Nashville and Tampa Bay!

The dot in the i could be used for the star!

Also I’d love to see your take on the Bolts

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Well, they can't all be perfect. I'll put an update together when I get a computer back up and working. 

Up next, let's do Tampa Bay and Vancouver.

This isn't really the most original idea for Tampa, but one I really like. I literally drew this up for the first time when I was eight, doodling hockey jerseys on my school tangfolder. I can't fathom why they haven't at least considered doing like this.

8XTXHK2.png

Up next is Vancouver. Let's combine a bunch of things that people think of when they think of Vancouver and the Canucks - trees, flannel and lumberjacks meet Chinese culture and the Canucks' old-school Flying Vs.

4iuojCF.png

And then there were six. What you want to see next?

Archived