infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 16

infrared41

Before we get started, apologies for last week's thread getting a little out of hand. I think some of us forgot rule #1 with these silly lists - all opinions are welcome. That said, there are going to be disagreements. It's just the nature of the beast. Frankly, we all could have done a better job last week, but when it was all said and done, everyone shook hands, remained friendly, and moved on. That isn't always the case around here so if nothing else, at least we got that part right. OK, now that we have that out of the way...

Week 16 was another solid week of uniform match ups. We have a couple classics leading of the best list. I had a tough time deciding which of the two I liked best. We also had a couple real clunkers for the worst list. As always the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may be different than mine and that's still perfectly OK. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to the uniforms. With that, let's put 60 seconds on the clock and play our game. 

BEST:

1. Packers - Jets: This is the last time we'll see this rare match up of two great uniforms and that's a shame. I always hold out hope that a uniform change will result in something good, but the truth is that Nike and the NFL's track record ain't the greatest. While there's always a chance that the Jets will switch to a "modern classic", I'm not betting on it. The Packers road uniform is in my top five. I like the Jets home uniform more than most people, but what can I say? I think it's one of the best looks in the league. 

6VeED7i.jpgbn0V2ek.jpg8BVoXhp.jpg

2. Giants - Colts: Two classics. Every game should look this good. I know some people have an issue with the Giants using red for the road jerseys. I like the "quirkiness" of it. Well that, and it's just a killer look. Great helmet match up too. 

fTT18UO.jpg

QsfDHIp.jpg

3. Bears - 49ers: I kinda wanted to rank this game a little lower because of my usual tired "the Bears need to wear all white against certain teams" bit. Couldn't do it. This game looked fantastic. I'll just have to deal with it, I guess. That said, it might have looked even better if the Bears had gone all white. B) Great looking game.

HGJq2If.jpg

I38SQvt.jpg

4. Texans - Super Bowl Champion Eagles: Another good looking game. The Eagles home uniform has really grown on me over the years. I didn't much care for it when it debuted way back when, but over time it's slowly climbed the ranks to become one of my favorites. The Texans uniforms need something, I'm just not sure what.

wmuVvy4.jpg

5. Bills - Patriots: The Patriots are so close to having a great uniform. Switch to the CR jersey and set up the pants to match it. Boom. Done. Top ten look. I'm glad the Bills went all white in this one.

8vMJGcv.jpg

6. Vikings - Lions: This game is a good example of what we were talking about last week. I see it on the schedule and think it's going to look really good. Then I watched some of the game and it didn't look as good as I'd hoped. Still a fine looking game, just not as good as I thought it would be. 

f6DgsQ0.jpg

Thanks for nothing game of the week: 

Jaguars - Dolphins: If the Jags had gone all white, this game probably makes the best list. Instead, we got this. Oh well, at least we got another look at those awesome Dolphins throwbacks.

bYZouB5.jpg

WORST: 

1. Bengals - Browns: Love the Browns CR jersey, hate the all brown monochrome. Throw in that disaster of a Bengals uniform and here we are. 

bzNrrdQ.jpg

2. Falcons - Panthers: Carolina has won exactly one game since they started doing the all black look. The uniform is 1 for the season - which is one more win than the uniform deserves. The Falcons road uniform is a few tweaks away from looking good - fix the sleeves, get rid of that awful side panel, and lose the piping/pants stripes that look like something I drew while doodling and it could be a fine look. Until then, it's just another example of a bad modern uniform. I'm not crazy about the falcon logo on the helmet either.

1bQwQgu.jpg

I believe that is it for this week. We're down to one to go. We'll do it all again and close out the season next week. I hope you all had a safe and happy holiday. Thanks for dropping by. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Vikings/Lions would be the top of my list. I liked the Browns Bengals but really wish they could wear white pants with that look.

Pats/Bills did not deserve it's rank IMO.

Vikings - Lions at #1, eh? Interesting choice. Bengals - Browns would have looked a lot better if the Browns had worn white pants, but there's no saving those Bengals uniforms. They're awful. What didn't you like about Pats - Bills? 

BB52Big.jpg

15 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Vikings - Lions at #1, eh? Interesting choice. Bengals - Browns would have looked a lot better if the Browns had worn white pants, but there's no saving those Bengals uniforms. They're awful. What didn't you like about Pats - Bills? 

To me it's maybe the Bengals best combo given that it doesn't have the side panel issue.

Pats have bad jerseys. Bills look good in all white but don't make up for it to be that high. And it's a boring color matchup, where the Lions and Packers both have vibrant looks.

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

To me it's maybe the Bengals best combo given that it doesn't have the side panel issue.

Pats have bad jerseys. Bills look good in all white but don't make up for it to be that high. And it's a boring color matchup, where the Lions and Packers both have vibrant looks.

There were 6 games I liked well enough for the best list. Pats - Bills came in 5th...or next to last depending on how you look at it. So I don’t see that one as being highly ranked. B)  I’m not going to get into the whole color thing again except to say that color match ups have little to do with how I rank the games. To me, it’s all about the uniforms. If the colors work well together, great, but I don’t penalize a match up because the colors don’t match well. I’m not saying it’s wrong to base it on colors, it’s just an argument that doesn’t persuade me at all. 

BB52Big.jpg

Re: Bears in all white

Would you prefer they wear the white socks from the standard roads, or the blue socks that go with the homes? 

nov-2000-sam-cowart-of-the-buffalo-bills

chicago-bears-kicker-paul-edinger-is-con

The blue socks is traditional, but the white matches the sleeve stripe. Ultimately, I feel like the blue socks make it a stronger look, though it also triggers my OCD. 

39 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Re: Bears in all white

Would you prefer they wear the white socks from the standard roads, or the blue socks that go with the homes? 

nov-2000-sam-cowart-of-the-buffalo-bills

chicago-bears-kicker-paul-edinger-is-con

The blue socks is traditional, but the white matches the sleeve stripe. Ultimately, I feel like the blue socks make it a stronger look, though it also triggers my OCD. 

Definitely the blue. Things like perfectly matching stripes between socks, jerseys, etc., aren’t that big of a deal to me. All I care about is whether or not it looks good. The white looks good too. 

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Maybe, but I feel like it needs a little more than that. 

The red socks helped the road look tremendously, but that's true for every team that has the ugly matching sock/pants thing going... Contrasting socks improve everybody.

I agree with infrared... The Texans' uniform has really lost its luster. At first I really liked it but now I feel like I'd like to see something else. Although with the current trends in uniform redesigns, it might not be a good idea to chance it.

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Definitely the blue. Things like perfectly matching stripes between socks, jerseys, etc., aren’t that big of a deal to me. All I care about is whether or not it looks good. The white looks good too. 

I’d be totally fine with the Bears wearing white pants on the road a couple times per year to shake things up. And they could even get more frisky by wearing the blue socks one time and the white one time. 

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

BEST:

1. Packers - Jets: This is the last time we'll see this rare match up of two great uniforms and that's a shame. I always hold out hope that a uniform change will result in something good, but the truth is that Nike and the NFL's track record ain't the greatest. While there's always a chance that the Jets will switch to a "modern classic", I'm not betting on it. The Packers road uniform is in my top five. I like the Jets home uniform more than most people, but what can I say? I think it's one of the best looks in the league. 

This game was helped tremendously by the Jets' wise decision to wear the white pants instead of the green ones.  I'm generally not a big non-white monochrome fan to begin with, but I consider the Jets' green monochrome one of the worst offenders . . . even with white socks.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The Texans need to use red socks when they wear navy pants, and IMO that’s all they need to do. I don’t want them to switch to red primaries, I definitely don’t want them to go to those awful white helmets, I just want contrasting socks. I would even argue that mono-navy, with red socks, isn’t that terrible.

ExJworW.png

1 hour ago, msubulldog said:

How about style points for the Redskins vs Titans

I detest WAH this late in the season)?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking for. 

Just curious, but what does being late in the season have to do with it? Do you like the Redskins (I'm assuming that's what "WAH" is referring to) when the season starts and then dislike them a little more each week as the season progresses? B)

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The Texans need to use red socks when they wear navy pants, and IMO that’s all they need to do. I don’t want them to switch to red primaries, I definitely don’t want them to go to those awful white helmets, I just want contrasting socks. I would even argue that mono-navy, with red socks, isn’t that terrible. 

Yeah, red socks would help. Other than that, I'm not sure what needs to be changed. Hell, I'm not sure anything needs to be changed. OldSchoolVikings nailed it when he said the Texans uniform has "lost its luster." That's exactly how I feel. It needs something, I'm just not sure what. When you consider that a change could result in something like the Titans, or worse, the Bucs, it's probably best to leave well enough alone. 

I'm with you, leave the helmet alone. It's great. 

BB52Big.jpg

22 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Giants - Colts: Two classics. Every game should look this good. I know some people have an issue with the Giants using red for the road jerseys.

I want to chime in here as one of those people. While I'm usually pretty committed to the Giants reinstating blue on their road jerseys, Big Blue and all that, I do have to admit it provides Matchup Problems when visiting the Colts. At the very least, there would have to be some red retained: perhaps outside stripes, names, and TV numbers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking for. 

Just curious, but what does being late in the season have to do with it? Do you like the Redskins (I'm assuming that's what "WAH" is referring to) when the season starts and then dislike them a little more each week as the season progresses? B)

I was just surprised that home-standing Tennessee chose to wear white tops instead of one of their blue ones. I liked the balance of "primary" colors in that game--two shades of blue for the Titans, plus yellow and burgundy (an offshoot of red) for Washington.

I'd probably have the Niners-Bears up top, but I prefer Chicago in their blue pants on the road. The white pants look on the road for them just looks so empty.

I would give the Jag-Dolphins  game the They Did Their Best award for going with the best combo they could based on what's sitting in their closets. Like the Bears, I don't think the Jags look good in all-white and I'm glad they didn't add more teal to the equation. The Dolphins looked their absolute best.

38 minutes ago, msubulldog said:

I was just surprised that home-standing Tennessee chose to wear white tops instead of one of their blue ones. I liked the balance of "primary" colors in that game--two shades of blue for the Titans, plus yellow and burgundy (an offshoot of red) for Washington.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that the Titans wore white at home too, but you didn’t answer why you “detest Washington this late in the season.” B)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived