infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL 2018 Week 16

infrared41

8 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I'd probably have the Niners-Bears up top, but I prefer Chicago in their blue pants on the road. The white pants look on the road for them just looks so empty.

I would give the Jag-Dolphins  game the They Did Their Best award for going with the best combo they could based on what's sitting in their closets. Like the Bears, I don't think the Jags look good in all-white and I'm glad they didn't add more teal to the equation. The Dolphins looked their absolute best.

Just to clarify, I didn’t put the Bears - 49ers at three because of the blue pants. I put that game at three because I liked the games ahead of it better. I thought it was a great looking game - blue pants and all. 

I think the Jaguars in all white would have looked a lot better against the throwbacks. It would have given the game more of an old school look.  No argument on the Dolphins looking their absolute best. That set is easily one of the best in the league. Rumor has it that they’re adding a white jersey next season. Can’t wait to see that if it happens. 

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Yeah, I was a little surprised that the Titans wore white at home too, but you didn’t answer why you “detest Washington this late in the season.” B)

WAH stands for white at home

1 minute ago, jmoe12 said:

WAH stands for white at home

Ah...OK, that makes sense. But I still don't understand why it's a problem. What difference does it make if a teams does WAH late in the season? Serious question. I'm genuinely curious. 

BB52Big.jpg

All the hype for another Dolphins throwback game, and I didn't realize they were going to be wearing them against the Jags. It's like if someone invites you to a big fancy dinner, and then you wear sweatpants.

I lean a little bit more towards the colors/big picture side of things than Infrared. I like pretty traditional uniforms, but I can sometimes ignore an ugly one if the game looks good from the pre-snap TV angle. I give bonus points to games where teams don't share similar color schemes. A good example is Colts/Giants and Cowboys/Bucs. I would probably rate both uniforms in Colts/Giants above either in Cowboys/Bucs, but I like the matchup of Cowboys/Bucs better. The Bucs' uniforms are bad, but they wore what is probably their best combo, and it looked good enough from that all-22 view. Packers/Jets gets docked a few points for being green/white vs. green/white/yellow, but the Packers' heavy use of yellow over green helps.

1. Niners-Bears

2. Lions-Vikings

3. Jets-Packers

Honorable mention:

Cowboys-Buccaneers

DvHo6yAVsAAU8YI-1024x570.jpg

Chiefs-Seahawks

YMQKdm5.png

I'm kind of numb to the Seahawks' mono navy, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good-looking game.

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Yeah, I was a little surprised that the Titans wore white at home too, but you didn’t answer why you “detest Washington this late in the season.” B)

I was detesting the idea of teams wearing white at home this late in the season (including my beloved Cowboys), but I was not detesting the Washington Redskins. WAH is short for "White at Home"

1 hour ago, msubulldog said:

I was detesting the idea of teams wearing white at home this late in the season (including my beloved Cowboys), but I was not detesting the Washington Redskins. WAH is short for "White at Home"

I know, someone explained it a couple posts back. It still doesn't really answer my question, it just changed the topic. Why do you detest WAH so late in the season? What difference does it make? That's a serious question. I swear I'm not trying to be a smart ass. 

BB52Big.jpg

29 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I know, someone explained it a couple posts back. It still doesn't really answer my question, it just changed the topic. Why do you detest WAH so late in the season? What difference does it make? That's a serious question. I swear I'm not trying to be a smart ass. 

Wondering this too. Is it because it's theoretically cooler late in the year, so it negates the argument that you might wear white because it isn't as hot? Because I think that argument is pretty much nonsense anyway.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:06 PM, infrared41 said:

2. Falcons - Panthers: Carolina has won exactly zero games since they started doing the all black look. The uniform is 0 for the season - which is exactly what it deserves. The Falcons road uniform is a few tweaks away from looking good - fix the sleeves, get rid of that awful side panel, and lose the piping/pants stripes that look like something I drew while doodling and it could be a fine look. Until then, it's just another example of a bad modern uniform. I'm not crazy about the falcon logo on the helmet either.

1bQwQgu.jpg

They actually won in Week 9 with the all black look which was the first game of the season with that look

Thanks for this weekly thread infared41.Nice place to see what some folks like or dislike.For what might be the last time in Oakland I liked the Raiders/Broncos matchup.Same for Bears/49ers.Also like the Giants road jerseys.They seem to like them as well as they've won 2 Super Bowls in them.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:58 PM, DouglasQuaid said:

Red Socks.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:23 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

The red socks helped the road look tremendously, but that's true for every team that has the ugly matching sock/pants thing going... Contrasting socks improve everybody.

I agree with infrared... The Texans' uniform has really lost its luster. At first I really liked it but now I feel like I'd like to see something else. Although with the current trends in uniform redesigns, it might not be a good idea to chance it.

I felt the same especially during last season. I think they need more red in general in their uniform scheme. Maybe bring back the red pants to wear under the navy if you don't want to switch to Battle Red as the primary (which I have begged many times for them to do). Or maybe switch the striping on their pants. I would also say white striped socks but that's too derivative of the Bears. Or hell, swap to the CR at their primary with their original navy jerseys as a throwback. 

On 12/27/2018 at 7:53 PM, infrared41 said:

I'm with you, leave the helmet alone. It's great. 

I cannot imagine them with any other helmet color than navy. Maybe go with red facemasks. I wish they had the white helmet option on Madden like they did in NFL 2K5, not that I want us looking like the Cards.

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wondering this too. Is it because it's theoretically cooler late in the year, so it negates the argument that you might wear white because it isn't as hot? Because I think that argument is pretty much nonsense anyway.

I'm guessing tradition as well. Teams should wear their colors at home or something like that. Or leave the WAH to the Cowboys?

18 hours ago, Cosmic said:

All the hype for another Dolphins throwback game, and I didn't realize they were going to be wearing them against the Jags. It's like if someone invites you to a big fancy dinner, and then you wear sweatpants.

I lean a little bit more towards the colors/big picture side of things than Infrared. I like pretty traditional uniforms, but I can sometimes ignore an ugly one if the game looks good from the pre-snap TV angle. I give bonus points to games where teams don't share similar color schemes. A good example is Colts/Giants and Cowboys/Bucs. I would probably rate both uniforms in Colts/Giants above either in Cowboys/Bucs, but I like the matchup of Cowboys/Bucs better. The Bucs' uniforms are bad, but they wore what is probably their best combo, and it looked good enough from that all-22 view. Packers/Jets gets docked a few points for being green/white vs. green/white/yellow, but the Packers' heavy use of yellow over green helps.

1. Well said.

2. I get that. Sometimes, I'll catch myself thinking "you know, even though that Bucs uniform is God-awful, the colors in this match up really work." That said, if I started adding that type of game to the best list, it would make this entire exercise pretty pointless.

I know you already know this so the remainder of this post is just in general...I don't mean this as a knock on people who put color match ups above anything else, but the idea behind this thread is what I think are the best uniforms, not the best color match ups. As Ice_Cap pointed out last week, every NFL team has a good color scheme, but not every team has a good uniform. I focus solely on the uniforms. To those of you who think colors matter most, more power to you. I have no issue with that. I'm all about how good the uniforms look first and foremost. That said, I welcome the "colors first" crowd and their opinions on the match ups. All that really matters is that we're all enjoying the thread. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

Thanks for this weekly thread infrared41.Nice place to see what some folks like or dislike.For what might be the last time in Oakland I liked the Raiders/Broncos matchup.Same for Bears/49ers.Also like the Giants road jerseys.They seem to like them as well as they've won 2 Super Bowls in them.

My pleasure. Glad you enjoy it and that you're participating. 

BB52Big.jpg

Seeing the Panthers’ crappy combos makes me slightly miss Jerry “Cotton Hill, but with shins” Richardson. Slightly

Excellent list, @infrared41. I’m just wondering, would you have ranked Colts-Giants as high if the Giants were wearing the 1980s-styled white set? I detest the 1980s-style look, as it looks like so generic in comparison to the current road set.

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Seeing the Panthers’ crappy combos makes me slightly miss Jerry “Cotton Hill, but with shins” Richardson. Slightly

Excellent list, @infrared41. I’m just wondering, would you have ranked Colts-Giants as high if the Giants were wearing the 1980s-styled white set? I detest the 1980s-style look, as it looks like so generic in comparison to the current road set.

It wouldn't have been the #2 game, but it probably still makes the list. In my opinion, the 80's set isn't awful, but you're exactly right, it is about as generic as it gets. It looks like the Giants called the manufacturer and said "send us a generic red, white, and blue football uniform." And that's what they got. Hell, even the helmet logo looked generic. As I said earlier, I know some people don't like that the current Giants road jerseys use red instead of blue, but I think it looks great. The current road jerseys are way better than the 80's road set. 

BB52Big.jpg

The Giants road look is great... maybe my favorite in the league.  I'm disappointed in the homes now... the white pants are such a huge downgrade.  And a stupid compromise, too. The whole point of the Giants current uniform is it's connection to the 50's uniform... that's the thing that makes all the "inconsistencies" so awesome, instead of just, you know... inconsistencies. Adding white pants to what is essentially a museum-piece uniform was puzzling, annoying, and ultimately worst of all, a visual mistake.  

I personally wish the Giants would've kept their other gray pants--the ones with the simple blue/red/blue braisher stripe--over the ones they have now. Just much simpler and cleaner.

Bring those back, and they'll most likely never need to change their uniforms ever again (unless they opt for a tasteful number font update--but that's as far as they should go.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

47 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Giants road look is great... maybe my favorite in the league.  I'm disappointed in the homes now... the white pants are such a huge downgrade.  And a stupid compromise, too. The whole point of the Giants current uniform is it's connection to the 50's uniform... that's the thing that makes all the "inconsistencies" so awesome, instead of just, you know... inconsistencies. Adding white pants to what is essentially a museum-piece uniform was puzzling, annoying, and ultimately worst of all, a visual mistake.  

37 minutes ago, Buc said:

I personally wish the Giants would've kept their other gray pants--the ones with the simple blue/red/blue braisher stripe--over the ones they have now. Just much simpler and cleaner.

Bring those back, and they'll most likely never need to change their uniforms ever again (unless they opt for a tasteful number font update--but that's as far as they should go.)

yup. 

BB52Big.jpg

14 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

14 hours ago, Buc said:

I agree with both of these sentiments. The grey pants perfectly complement the grey mask, and I especially loved how the simpler pant stripe connected to the helmet. I really like their 50s look as it was when they originally brought it back (it’s chaotic perfection for me), but I’d actually love to see a few tweaks to make their look a little more contemporary; adding red Northwestern stripes to the blue jersey and changing the numbers on the white jersey to blue.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived