Different colors of jerseys and pants in baseball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve never had an issue with alternates over gray/white pants. It’s baseball. Everyone outside of the 70s has done it that way. And, quite honestly, colored pants would be hella weird to me.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

For example: red jersey with white pants or blue jersey with grey pants.

I'm not a fan.  Normally I like to see colors, but this looks weird to me. 

I think baseball is the only sport where an all white uniform looks good.

Your thoughts?

I'm not 100% against this look, but I too generally like to see the shirt match the pants. My favorites are the Oakland Athletics' all-yellow uniform from the '70s and several teams' powder-blue roads. I was very pleased to see the Cardinals announce they were bringing back powder blue as an alt, even though I'm a Reds fan.

I am completely in the camp that the pants and jersey should be the same color.   I probably have stronger feelings about it than most, but I absolutely detest the color jersey over gray or white pants.  It's been said before, but it looks like batting practice / Spring Training / Little League / Beer League Softball.  Most likely an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the A's and Padres all-yellow from the 70s, the Indians Bloody Marys, and even the Orioles all-orange from the 70s over the mismatches.

A baseball uniform should function as an integrated unit, not two unmatched parts slapped together.  That being said, I have no problem with it at all in football, so perhaps I should confess to hypocrisy. 

I honestly don't mind color over gray or white, unless it's a clash of solid tops and pinstriped bottoms.  Home whites and road grays are fine for the "Original 8" in each league, but I like it when expansion teams get a bit more experimental.

I think the A's and Padres solid golds could work great as a home or a road uniform.  Hell, I even liked the Padres "sand" roads. 

I would like to say any "pastel" color has the potential to work as a road uniform, but there's a few I'm not so sure about.  Pink and lavender immediately come to mind.  But then I start to imagine ludicrous scenarios where even that would work.

That said, the A's wearing their gold and kelly green tops with white pants are also among my favorite looks in baseball.

I don't think this is an issue there should be any hard and fast rules for (apart from the solid/pinstripe combo I mentioned at the top). Though I would prefer that teams wearing colored tops would just establish them as their primary look rather than rotating them in and out.  Especially those who wear the colors more than their regular white or gray.

13 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I am completely in the camp that the pants and jersey should be the same color.   I probably have stronger feelings about it than most, but I absolutely detest the color jersey over gray or white pants.  It's been said before, but it looks like batting practice / Spring Training / Little League / Beer League Softball.  Most likely an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the A's and Padres all-yellow from the 70s, the Indians Bloody Marys, and even the Orioles all-orange from the 70s over the mismatches.

A baseball uniform should function as an integrated unit, not two unmatched parts slapped together.  That being said, I have no problem with it at all in football, so perhaps I should confess to hypocrisy. 

This.  Add all powder blue to the list.  

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

3 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I almost can't think of an all-white football uniform I don't like. White-on-white in football looks so clean that it almost salvages all the modern Nike sets.

Also basketball anything other than all white, or mono chrome looks completely out of place

I don't mind alt jerseys. They add a good touch of color every now and then. But I dislike it when the alt tops are worn more frequently than the white or gray (example 2018 Indians wore navy tops for almost 100 games) or when both teams wear them for the same game. 

Go A's!

On 12/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The 1990s NBA called... 

chi-bulls-michael-jordan-era-home-620x89

os-shaq-hall-of-fame-brian-schmitz-0907-

duncan_robinson.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 12/30/2018 at 1:31 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is in the running for the wrongest statement possible. 

All-white uniforms look good in literally every sport you can think of.

Image result for ny lizards mll  Related image

aaron-garcia.jpg  Image result for ny cosmos 1977

Image result for beach soccer england

Image result for audl dive

Image result for team handball

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Based on the available evidence, I will disagree.

I almost always agree with your sense of style, Ferdinand. You're a classy dude. But that Maple Leaf example in all white seals-the-deal why hockey needs contrasting jersey and britches!!

Archived