Variations on the Canucks (2022: My ideal orca set added, series finished!)

vtgco

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!

So there are lots of cool Seattle NHL concepts right now (yay!), but I thought I'd try my hand at our soon-to-be archrivals, the Vancouver Canucks!

_overall_header.png

Johnny Canuck x Flying VRetro WHL-inspiredSalish Art / Grizzlies Synergy (Deprecated)new_skate_icon.pngflag_icon.pnglumberjack_icon.png

2022 updates/additions

new_skate_icon_2022.pngskyscraper_icon.pngsalish_icon_gray.pnggrizzlies_icon.pngoptimized_icon.png

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

As I'm sure you're all aware, Vancouver hockey has had a bazillion different identities. Here's an overview of Vancouver's hockey history for those who are unfamiliar:

logo_history_display.png

In this series, I'll try to combine or introduce different styles to some logos through their history.

The uniform template I will use is this Adidas template by Matthew McElroy.

Please enjoy, and let me know if you have any combo recommendations!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Without further ado, here's the first Variation:

flying_v_johnny_display.png

It's my attempt to combine the infamous Flying V era with the fan-favorite Johnny Canuck.

The secondary logos are adapted versions of the Millionaires V and the Stick-in-Rink.

The uniforms keep some of the Flying V style, but focus on a primary crest.

I also tried it in West Coast Express colors, and I think it works well:

spacer.png

Let me know what you think! Which color scheme do you prefer? Does this combo work?

Second variation will be posted shortly.

• Like 5

Please, everyone, don't shout all at once! 😋

Here's the next entry:

retro_style_display.png

The goal here was to capture the vibe of Vancouver's pre-NHL days.

The primary logo here is the 1950s Johnny Canuck logo with some minor edits.

The secondaries are the Millionaires V with a block font and a brand-new Lions Peaks logo.

The home jersey is a close adaption of this '50s jersey, while the away incorporates some elements of this one from the '60s. The alternate is a Millionaires fauxback.

Please, let me know what you think of either of these sets! C&C and suggestions for new variations are greatly appreciated!

Edited by vtgco
Updated 01-23 with the backs of the jerseys. Arched nameplate is a reference to the '50s jersey.
  • Like 8

• vtgco changed the title to Variations on the Canucks (Updated 01-04)
On 1/6/2019 at 2:14 PM, Poffsicle said:

This is an awesome era mash up. Looks great so far. Can’t wait to see all the possiblities. Hope there’s more to come.

Glad to hear you like it! There's definitely more stuff on the way.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Those look awesome. I would try the WHL Johnny Canuck on a Millionaires maroon jersey. I would also use black highlights instead of navy for JC's outline.

Always a good sign to hear that a fan of the team likes it!

Here's a quick mock-up of your idea. I found that a darker maroon looked better than black for Johnny.

retro_style_alt_002.png

On 1/6/2019 at 3:48 PM, Black Dragon said:

What would It look like with th plaid shirt for Johnny 

I briefly tried that for the retro style, and thought it looked a bit muddy in my darker color scheme (navy & brick red). However, maybe I'll give it another go when I return!

Thank you for your feedback!

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Another Variation for your enjoyment is AVAILABLE HERE.

Salish Art / Grizzlies Synergy (Deprecated)

In this edition, the Canucks would match the colors of the old Vancouver Grizzlies, and go all out on the Coast Salish nations' art style.  The 1997-present Orca logo had that inspiration, but really only took that style halfway.

2022 EDIT: I'll leave my original concept linked above for reference. TWO updated versions have been posted later in the thread:

• The first is with the logos created by Tsimshian artist Chase Gray for the IRL Canucks' First Nations Night, AVAILABLE HERE
  • The second is with my own custom orca logo based on the '90s vibes of the Grizzlies logo, AVAILABLE HERE.

salish_icon_gray.png      grizzlies_icon.png

I'll be out of town without my computer for a brief while, but I plan to work on a couple more Variations after that!

In the meantime, if you have any comments or ideas for future Variations, please leave them here!

Edited by vtgco
Two updated versions, one with the actual logos created for the Canucks' First Nations Night and one with a custom '90s-style orca logo, have been posted later in the thread. I'll leave my original concept linked above for reference.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

• vtgco changed the title to Variations on the Canucks (New Variation 01-06)

The retro style variation is wonderful. It works beautifully and could be nice color swap in the event the new Seattle franchise opts for a green and blue scheme.

• Like 1

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Pulv! said:

The retro style variation is wonderful. It works beautifully and could be nice color swap in the event the new Seattle franchise opts for a green and blue scheme.

Haha, you found my ulterior motive!

Yeah, glad to hear that someone else agrees that the blue & red works well for Vancouver!

In LOVE with that grizzly/native art set. The grizzlies have my fav color scheme of all time, period, I'm a sucker for anything related to their branding/logos/colors. Love the vibe that set captures, seems very local, very Vancouver, if that makes sense. Great look, even the alternate, which I usually don't like with the giant V. 

• Like 1

Here we are again!

On 1/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, jaytavo305 said:

In LOVE with that grizzly/native art set. The grizzlies have my fav color scheme of all time, period, I'm a sucker for anything related to their branding/logos/colors. Love the vibe that set captures, seems very local, very Vancouver, if that makes sense. Great look, even the alternate, which I usually don't like with the giant V. 

Thank you for the nice words; it's a high honor to hear I've fixed the flying V for you!

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Speaking of fixing, here's my attempt to salvage my own least favorite Canucks uniform, the Red Flying Skate:

new_skate_display_old.png

I'm not a big fan of the Flying Skate era, since it seems so messy, so I've tried to clean it up a bit here.

The logos are pretty straightforward. I tried to keep the motion line idea from the original.

Note that the "primary logo" is shown in a standalone format, but would normally appear as part of a wordmark as it does on the jerseys.

My uniforms are mostly inspired by the aforementioned abomination 1990s alt. Rather than using gradients, I incorporated the motion lines and the primary logo in the chest and pants striping. I'd like to think the whole thing is a tad more clean and classy than the original!

I think that this logo & uni set works even better in West Coast Express or Whitecaps colors:

http://vtg.co/sports/canucks/new_skate_colors_display.png

Now that they're in blue, the motion lines double as water reflections! Much more locally relevant, IMO.

Tell me, was I able to save the red Flying Skate jersey, or is this at the same level? I've got another Variation planned out, but in the meantime, C&C and suggestions are appreciated!

2022 EDIT: The original concept remains above, but an updated version is posted in A FOLLOWING COMMENT!

new_skate_icon_2022.png

• Like 3

• vtgco changed the title to Variations on the Canucks (01-13: Flying Skate)
On 1/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, NoE38 said:

Definitely looks like something the 90s would have produced. What would the backside of the set look like? Really like it in Whitecaps colours. Good work!

I've updated the Variation with a backside for the Flying Skate set! Thank you for that suggestion; I hadn't really considered it before.

Hopefully you think it's like a good product of the '90s and not like one of the many terrible ones!

On 1/13/2019 at 5:38 PM, Chromatic said:

These are all interesting, I’d like to see Johnny Canuck in Grizzlies colours.

Here are both my Johnny Variations in that color scheme. I don't think it's amazing, but it's certainly not bad:

spacer.pngflying_v_johnny_display_grizzlies.png

Thank you both for your feedback!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

I've updated the Variation with a backside for the Flying Skate set! Thank you for that suggestion; I hadn't really considered it before.

Hopefully you think it's like a good product of the '90s and not like one of the many terrible ones!

Here are both my Johnny Variations in that color scheme. I don't think it's amazing, but it's certainly not bad:

grizzlies_colors_display.png

Thank you both for your feedback!

I like it. Only thing I’d add is maybe an extremely thin stripe of bronze on the Flying V.

• Like 1

Hopefully you all can entertain my nerdiness on this next installment...

Let's get vexillological!

flag_display.png

The main crest combines the shape of the shield from the Vancouver flag, the waves and sun of the BC flag, and a maple leaf. The monogram is based off of this unused Canucks logo.

The secondary logos are an Orca logo and a streamlined Stick-in-Rink.

The home is based on the Vancouver flag, with the green chevron and blue wave pattern. It has a bit of a Whalers feel--then again, so do the current Canucks jerseys!

The away is based on the British Columbia flag. It's heavy on the blue with only sparse amounts of green, given the flag's color scheme.

The alternate is a 1970 Canucks fauxback, with the striping changed to match the Cascadian flag. No yellow at all here.

All uniforms' respective flags are used as shoulder patches.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, NoE38 said:

That backside makes it even better. I meant that if I was a kid in the 90's and saw that jersey, I'd love it.

I appreciate the nice words... but as previously mentioned, I'm hesitant to trust the aesthetic judgements of the '90s! 😋

On 1/14/2019 at 4:05 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

Your flying skate is miles better than the real one, which is honestly one of the ugliest logos of all time.

I'm happy you think so, but I think you and I both agree that's a pretty low bar... 😂

On 1/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, Chromatic said:

I like it. Only thing I’d add is maybe an extremely thin stripe of bronze on the Flying V.

http://vtg.co/sports/canucks/grizzlies_flying_v2.png

I'm not sure it looks quite as good when I keep adding colors to the mix... However, I gave it a go!

Please let me know what you think! C&C is gladly accepted.

I'd also really appreciate your suggestions for new variations! Thanks!

• Like 5

• vtgco changed the title to Variations on the Canucks (01-20: Flag-Inspired)
  • 1 month later...

So inspiration struck for an exciting idea in this series, so here's another. Hope you like it!

lumberjack_display_2022.png

Johnny Canuck is a lumberjack, after all, so plaid is definitely appropriate. I've seen the occasional plaid concept for the Canucks before, so I figured it's not too out there!

The primary logo is a plaid-ified version of the Johnny-in-V logo.

The secondary is brand new, with a two-man saw, blue plaid water, and the Vancouver skyline. It's partially inspired by the Denver Nuggets skyline logo.

Finally, my geometric, full-body Johnny dons plaid flannel for the alternate.

The home and away jerseys are fairly simple, with striping based on the primarily logo.

The alternate jersey is my take on the Canucks' odd 2001-06 alternate jersey, with plaid replacing the gradient. Hopefully you think it works!

s-l400.jpg

The font is High School USA Sans.

C&C for any of these concepts is welcomed, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• vtgco changed the title to Variations on the Canucks (03-03: Lumberjack Style)
Guest darkpiranha

This is an awesome implementation of Johnny.  I've always been in favor of the green and blue plaid idea, but seeing this blue-red and plaid version?  Beautiful.