Report: 2020 Winter Classic in Dallas

TBGKon

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Reports say Dallas will host the 2020 Winter Classic.

Aaaaaand with that, the concept has jumped the shark. The Winter Classic should be for traditional hockey cities only — northern cities. The average low in Dallas in January is well above freezing, about 40 degrees.

Having an outdoor game in Los Angeles, which is a little warmer than Dallas, is bad enough. But L.A. is in a class of its own; it is a global cosmopolitan city where no type of cultural event would be inappropriate.

Dallas, on the other hand, just like every other city outside the Original Six and the Second Six, is just too far south for an outdoor game of hockey to have any special significance.

Detroit and Chicago and Toronto and Montreal should have many of these games before any city in the American South gets a single one.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Aaaaaand with that, the concept has jumped the shark. The Winter Classic should be for traditional hockey cities only — northern cities. The average low in Dallas in January is well above freezing, about 40 degrees.

For me, the concept was over when they made what looked like a board game setup of New York City. It was so corny and made the league look like a school play.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think it would be safe to say that AT&T Stadium would be out because of the Cotton Bowl and potential Cowboys playoff game. Gerald Ford Stadium (SMU) could be an option but seems kinda small for an outdoor NHL game. This would leave the Cotton Bowl and Globe Life Park. Cotton Bowl makes the most sense as the bowl game it hosts now is usually near the beginning of the bowl season. I would question Globe Life Park only because even though the Rangers would have moved out at this point we still dont quite know what will be done with the stadium to change it over to the XFL club in 2020

Signature intentionally left blank

41 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I think it would be safe to say that AT&T Stadium would be out because of the Cotton Bowl and potential Cowboys playoff game. Gerald Ford Stadium (SMU) could be an option but seems kinda small for an outdoor NHL game. This would leave the Cotton Bowl and Globe Life Park. Cotton Bowl makes the most sense as the bowl game it hosts now is usually near the beginning of the bowl season. I would question Globe Life Park only because even though the Rangers would have moved out at this point we still dont quite know what will be done with the stadium to change it over to the XFL club in 2020

The Cotton Bowl may give them empty seats and there's not much around Fair Park meanwhile Texas Live! is nextdoor to Globe Life Park. Plus, there's one more year of city of Dallas funding for the Servpro First Responders Bowl, unless it moves to SMU or play very early in the bowl season, the Cotton Bowl won't be available for setup until a week before and the NHL has a stadium for at least two weeks before the game to set up.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Having an outdoor game in Los Angeles, which is a little warmer than Dallas, is bad enough. But L.A. is in a class of its own; it is a global cosmopolitan city where no type of cultural event would be inappropriate.

Dallas, on the other hand, just like every other city outside the Original Six and the Second Six, is just too far south for an outdoor game of hockey to have any special significance.

Detroit and Chicago and Toronto and Montreal should have many of these games before any city in the American South gets a single one.

Take your blinders off bud, the WC is far from an O6 or Second 6 showcase.  It’s a league showcase.  Why not let the league show off some other teams outside of traditional markets.  ...and who says it needs to be freezing to play outdoors.

This is is why I hope the traditional teams are left out of the Dallas matchup.

Let's face it, hockey is really played in a room-temperature building where it is cold only at a refrigerated ice level. Playing it outdoors at Dodger Stadium and Levi's Stadium is closer to what NHLers are used to than outdoors in Calgary. 

I saw, I came, I left.

12 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Take your blinders off bud, the WC is far from an O6 or Second 6 showcase.  It’s a league showcase.  Why not let the league show off some other teams outside of traditional markets.  ...and who says it needs to be freezing to play outdoors.

So when you said that this was good for other teams you only meant teams south of the Mason-Dixon line. Got it. 

2 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Let's face it, hockey is really played in a room-temperature building where it is cold only at a refrigerated ice level. Playing it outdoors at Dodger Stadium and Levi's Stadium is closer to what NHLers are used to than outdoors in Calgary. 

Which is what makes the games outdoors in cold weather so interesting ;) 

Not to mention it’s visually reminiscent of pond hockey, which you CERTAINLY can’t play in LA. 

Honestly, I am not really a fan of the outdoor games and I gag at the "myth" of resembling pond hockey. If you really want a NHL game to be played outdoors  .. put up a game on an actual outdoor pond or lake. THAT would be interesting. 

I saw, I came, I left.

4 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Honestly, I am not really a fan of the outdoor games and I gag at the "myth" of resembling pond hockey.

shrug

If you don’t like it that’s cool, but it’s kind of the whole point. Though I wonder what about it is gag-worthy. 

Regardless, the “myth” that teams south of the Mason-Dixon line are so hard done by is why I’m so not feeling putting one of these in Dallas. 

The notion that Dallas gets to host one of these before the G-ddamn Montreal :censored: in’ Canadiens is just wrong :P 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Related image

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

it could be worse, it could be Las Vegas.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived