Report: 2020 Winter Classic in Dallas

TBGKon

Just now, AstroBull21 said:

Not at all, I would like to see places like Minnesota, Colorado and Columbus get shots, as well as Nashville, Vegas, and hell why not Tampa.

Minnesota seems like it would be great but IIRC they failed to sell out the Stadium Series game they got, so I'm not sure if the NHL considers them viable.

Colorado and Columbus are far too northern for the likes of some people, sadly.

I can't speak to Vegas or Nashville, but Tampa's main issue would be the humidity.

Anyway my larger point is that the whole thing is, at the very least, grounded in the idea of some sort of romanticized notion of pond hockey. You can choose to scoff at that as much you like, but that's the original appeal behind the whole thing.

And that is a fundamentally northern cultural touchstone.

6 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

True question, but if Montreal hosted one where would it be played?

Is Olympic stadium off limits because of the dome?  Saputo and Molson stadiums seem small for a WC

Molson, in all likelihood.

6 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I think the Coyotes should move out Glendale myself, but I am definitely bot against expanding the game to "non-traditional" markets.

I'm against staying in markets that haven't produced a dime in revenue in the past two+ decades. I'm also against the NHL telling its loyal customers to pound dirt while it chases hypothetical fans some place down south.

Which I think is why this whole thing bugs me as much as it does. The NHL has had a consistent track record since the 1990s of treating its traditional fans in traditional markets with disdain so it can chase the housing bubble in the suburban New South.

And now the premier outdoor game is going to G-ddman Dallas? As hokey as the WC has gotten, it's still grounded in an inherent romanticization of a northern US/Canadian cultural touchstone. And now we're losing that too. Great.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

As hokey as the WC has gotten, it's still grounded in an inherent romanticization of a northern US/Canadian cultural touchstone. And now we're losing that too. Great.

They took our ponds!

TERK ER PERNDS

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Dallas Stars Winter Classic promotional kit will be all these soft-focus videos of players saying "this is a return to childhood, in many ways, as a kid I had so much fun making stupid videos and underachieving, and now I'm doing that on such a big stage, it's amazing, really," and then Jamie Benn asking if "outside ice" means he can eat it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

As hokey as the WC has gotten, it's still grounded in an inherent romanticization of a northern US/Canadian cultural touchstone.

BREAKING: Jason Spezza demands trade away from Canadian cultural touchstone

I get the complaints about this, but honestly I'm more happy to see different teams getting to play in this thing for once, instead of the same ten teams NBC deems worthy. And yeah, how do they pull off an outdoor hockey game on a Texas afternoon?

(Although, Dallas' high temperature today is just 39°F/4°C, with the chance of rain in the forecast later in the week; if it's the same in a year they'll probably have few issues.)

Honestly the way I see it is, if they manage to pull it off without a hitch we'll get a good hockey game, and if they don't it'll be a trainwreck probably still worth watching, just for the wrong reasons. :P

6 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I get the complaints about this, but honestly I'm more happy to see different teams getting to play in this thing for once, instead of the same ten teams NBC deems worthy.

The Stars should wear 2003 throwbacks for when they were one of the three teams ESPN deemed worthy.

Boy, I just don’t know how I feel about that. If they want to do a Stadium Series in Dallas, go for it, but a Winter Classic? The biggest outdoor game of the year? Gads that seems risky. Sure Dallas can get in the 30’s (and it is 39 as we speak) but it’s also gonna be in the 60’s in just a few short days and rainy in between that so who knows what you’re gonna get. 

Well positive thinking; we could get a really nice Stars uniform. Lots of good opportunities there. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Stars should wear 2003 throwbacks for when they were one of the three teams ESPN deemed worthy.

This reminds me, as much as the NBC roster of the same teams gets annoying, people really forgot the All-Wings-Avs-And-Stars-All-The-Time rotation ESPN had going the final years.

But yeah, Cotton Bowl will be a fun little change of pace for a year. I get wanting to get Montreal into hosting an outdoor game, but Molson Stadium at McGill's only about 1.5K larger than Bell Centre and Olympic Stadium would more or less be indoors anyway. Plus at least Dallas breaks up the Chicago/Pittsburgh/Philadelphia/Boston rotation a bit. And hey, big time event at the Cotton Bowl on New Year's like old times!

Also saw a report that the Heritage Classic is coming back with Flames-Jets in Regina, so definitely gimmie a bunch of drunk melonheads hanging out to watch two really fun teams in a fresh location as well.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

8 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Also saw a report that the Heritage Classic is coming back with Flames-Jets in Regina

UNKLE ADAMS INTERMISSION CONCERT DO IT DO IT DO IT 

45 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Sure Dallas can get in the 30’s (and it is 39 as we speak) but it’s also gonna be in the 60’s in just a few short days and rainy in between that so who knows what you’re gonna get. 

It's currently 61 degrees in Philadelphia.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sun and rain can certainly be problems, but I don't think enough people realize that ice is maintained in a 60something degree environment every time an NHL team plays indoors.

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Sounds like they need to move the Flyers to Quebec.

I’m struggling to come up with a better solution. That might be the only option. 

How fast can Gritty learn French?

5bb631f41f0000df0024adad.jpeg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, willmorris said:

They could always play in the parking lot

FYP for a potential Coyotes outdoor game.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The Athletic has a story on how this came about and apparently ATT Stadium was once considered last season for their 25th anniversary.

The Dallas Sports Commission gave the NHL a tour of the Cotton Bowl during the Fair and the Texas/OU game.  That's peak Cotton Bowl, of course the game and a full Midway on a Saturday looks impressive as hell.  Show them the stadium the weekend of Grambling/Prairie View

Archived