College Football 2019

29texan

In regards to TCU, I'd only like to see red primarily as a tertiary color within a one-off set. They do just fine in white, black, and purple.

I'd just suggest they own a design element, but don't go negative, like the disaster that was the frog skin set; That way, they'll be distinguishable vs a Northwestern (easily recognized via northwestern stripes), who has the same color scheme. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boise State's uniforms just got a lot less fun for me cuz it looks like they just got a 2019 catalog template a year early.

Don't get me wrong, its still an alright look, but a good chunk of the value they provided was the fact that they were unique to Boise (or so i thought)

Not sure if this is something thats already been brought up, i just learned about it today from a pic in a recruiting article:

UmAPtoa.jpg

BSU Jersey Stripe:

Boise%20State%20uniforms%204%20-%20BSU_1

That photo is from Nike’s premier high school camp, The Opening. The linemen are always provided with the latest uniform template and the new design for the upcoming catalog. I’ve been fortunate to attend the last two years, though I’m not too happy it was moved from Nike’s headquarters in Oregon to the Cowboys’ practice facility in Frisco (where it will remain for the foreseeable future after Jerry Jones purchased the company that runs the event. Nike is just a partner/official outfitter.)

The Fall 2019 catalog shows both that design and the one used at The Opening 2017 (and notably worn by high school teams like Bishop Gorman last season) as the top two options.

https://www.bsnsports.com/pdfs/nts-football-19.pdf

That said, any design Nike (or adidas or Under Armour) creates will eventually end up in their respective catalogs. Boise, much like Oregon in the past, is lucky it had the ability to wear it a season in advance rather than wait until it was sold in the catalog.

1 hour ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Boise State's uniforms just got a lot less fun for me cuz it looks like they just got a 2019 catalog template a year early.

Don't get me wrong, its still an alright look, but a good chunk of the value they provided was the fact that they were unique to Boise (or so i thought)

Not sure if this is something thats already been brought up, i just learned about it today from a pic in a recruiting article:

UmAPtoa.jpg

BSU Jersey Stripe:

Boise%20State%20uniforms%204%20-%20BSU_1

Catalog uniforms like Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, and Texas are all just horrible.... Templated garbage

30 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Catalog uniforms like Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, and Texas are all just horrible.... Templated garbage

A. I never claimed that the fact that they are a catalog template made them horrible garbage, just not as good. This is a misplaced reduction to the absurd.

+

B. Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, etc. aren't really an appropriate comparison here, as all of them have had an established look with only minor tweaks (see PSU white collars, Clemson Shoulder Piping/Paws, Texas wordmark/numbers) over the past couple of decades. Calling any of those "templated" is a very tough sell.  When Boise revealed their new uniforms last year, they really seemed to be "owning" the double diagonal stripes (see BSU social media from the past year), which made it a bit disappointing that it wasn't an element unique to their school.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with templated uniforms for non-P5 schools, im just a bit disappointed that it is not, in fact, a unique element.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

That photo is from Nike’s premier high school camp, The Opening. The linemen are always provided with the latest uniform template and the new design for the upcoming catalog. I’ve been fortunate to attend the last two years, though I’m not too happy it was moved from Nike’s headquarters in Oregon to the Cowboys’ practice facility in Frisco (where it will remain for the foreseeable future after Jerry Jones purchased the company that runs the event. Nike is just a partner/official outfitter.)

The Fall 2019 catalog shows both that design and the one used at The Opening 2017 (and notably worn by high school teams like Bishop Gorman last season) as the top two options.

https://www.bsnsports.com/pdfs/nts-football-19.pdf

That said, any design Nike (or adidas or Under Armour) creates will eventually end up in their respective catalogs. Boise, much like Oregon in the past, is lucky it had the ability to wear it a season in advance rather than wait until it was sold in the catalog.

What uniform elements and applications does this apply to? For example, i don't ever recall seeing Oregon's 2012(?) shoulder wing pattern in catalogs, nor have I (as of this past Nov) been able to find an adidas template with Nebraska's sleeve cap stripes.

29 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

A. I never claimed that the fact that they are a catalog template made them horrible garbage, just not as good. This is a misplaced reduction to the absurd.

+

B. Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, etc. aren't really an appropriate comparison here, as all of them have had an established look with only minor tweaks (see PSU white collars, Clemson Shoulder Piping/Paws, Texas wordmark/numbers) over the past couple of decades. Calling any of those "templated" is a very tough sell.  When Boise revealed their new uniforms last year, they really seemed to be "owning" the double diagonal stripes (see BSU social media from the past year), which made it a bit disappointing that it wasn't an element unique to their school.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with templated uniforms for non-P5 schools, im just a bit disappointed that it is not, in fact, a unique element.

I feel the exact opposite.. I feel like it's absurd to expect every major school to have a uniform packed with unique/"proprietary" elements that look ridiculous, horribly contrived, and incredibly forced.. sometimes they get a uniform that comes together nicely (a la Florida State - but it was still arguably a downgrade from the previous set).. 

There are TONS of ways to put together a great looking, unique set using "catalog" options.. and the uniforms of all those schools I mentioned could be ordered using traditional, catalog-style methods.. 

People knock on "catalog" and "templated" uniforms here, and I truly don't understand it.. being a catalog uniform just means it isn't some wild, unheard-of design.. it doesn't mean it's any cheaper, plainer, uglier, or inferior in any way.. It just means the Nike team didn't spend months turning it into garbage (looking at you, Minnesota).. especially since most "custom" uniforms are just a "catalog uniform" with a custom/proprietary number font.. 

27 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

What uniform elements and applications does this apply to? For example, i don't ever recall seeing Oregon's 2012(?) shoulder wing pattern in catalogs, nor have I (as of this past Nov) been able to find an adidas template with Nebraska's sleeve cap stripes.

You can get the same basic design, just not manufactured the same exact way..

56 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

+

I'm glad someone noticed, now I feel proud 😎

spacer.png

31 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

BSU was a total downgrade for me. they used to have five jerseys and gradient numbers! I loved that. At least bring the black uni back.

they'll get new blue turf this year !

Black has no place in Boise State's uniform set. It was BFBS at the highest order. Also there was nothing special about their previous uniforms save for the helmet. The new uniforms are more uniform with each other and are a definite upgrade. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

2 hours ago, See Red said:

Something I made and thought you guys might appreciate.  Gators uniform combos since 2010.  There's one known error (7th game, 2013 should be O-W-B).

PwnOhfVG_o.png

Florida has hands down some of the best uniforms of all of football. Change my mind. They almost always look good (except for gator skin, wtf was that)

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

34 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Florida has hands down some of the best uniforms of all of football. Change my mind. They almost always look good (except for gator skin, wtf was that)

I agree but really wish they would go back to the pre-2013 font and fix or ditch the orange alternates.  I wouldn't be sad if the white helmet went away

IUe6Hvh.png

Just now, See Red said:

I agree but really wish they would go back to the pre-2013 font and fix or ditch the orange alternates.  I wouldn't be sad if the white helmet went away

I’d disagree, the orange blue white combo is fantastic, along with the font. Although it could work without the white outline. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Florida's number font looks like the standard number font that a good amount of MLB teams uses. It looks fine on a baseball uniform, but not on a football uniform.

I can't think of any other teams that use this awful font (that has grown on me a little)

2018-10-07-Chauncey-Gardner-Johnson-Feat

IUe6Hvh.png

44 minutes ago, See Red said:

I can't think of any other teams that use this awful font (that has grown on me a little)

2018-10-07-Chauncey-Gardner-Johnson-Feat

The basic form of the 2 is similar to the standard MLB numbers, but the pointed counters and thickness of the numbers depart from it. I actually like the Gators’ football numbers for the most part, though the trim on them is so small it may as well not even be there. Filling in the blue gap with orange would work better for me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

The basic form of the 2 is similar to the standard MLB numbers, but the pointed counters and thickness of the numbers depart from it. I actually like the Gators’ football numbers for the most part, though the trim on them is so small it may as well not even be there. Filling in the blue gap with orange would work better for me.

Or thin out the numbers. They look fatter than they used to. At least this font replaced those horrible numbers based off of the wordmarks.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived