College Football 2019

29texan

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I don't think the shiny numbers will translate that well to the field, but that being said the new look is definitely an upgrade, though I like the Boykin and LaDanian sets more. The comparison to Black Panther is actually really cool, I like that effect.

sJ4Vghn.png

7hzaywc.png

ruBmQt4.png

I don't really get the shiny vibe from these. They aren't nearly as iridescent as the adidas number Louisville has used for years. The actual uniforms shot have a lot more lighting surrounding them than what would occur on game days. These uniforms are the opposite of the old ones for me though. I felt the white jersey with limited frog skin was their best look. With this set I think they stand out because of the yoke carrying the pattern instead of the collar. However, it works for the purple and black uniforms. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MattMill said:

I followed y'all while in the wac and MTN west, then nike got a hold of y'all. Call me old school. I really felt the old triangle collar/trim look was super unique to TCU. Now they'll have that back in a big Nike way with this new design. 

I do like it better than some past years. When a team changes a jersey design so often, I guess I don't get the overall hype. I checked their Twitter. They put a lot of work into the whole reveal. Next year we'll get something new. 

Not really talking losing seasons persay but that's for another team thread. My bad bringing it up. 

You're good. 

TCU has been with Nike since around the time L.T. left. Every now and then, there will be questionable design choices, but this program usually has some of the better looks (since the late 90s, that is).

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I'm actually liking these much more than their full-frogskin unis, but do see where they could have done better.  I think they should have gone with solid facemasks instead of the striped ones and gone with gloss helmets instead of matte helmets.  On the unis, I really do think they were trying to mimic both the spike and scale pattern on real horned frogs and the look from the Black Panther suit but it's not a bad look.  Only part I don't like there is it extending beyond the nameplate.

52 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I'm actually liking these much more than their full-frogskin unis, but do see where they could have done better.  I think they should have gone with solid facemasks instead of the striped ones and gone with gloss helmets instead of matte helmets.  On the unis, I really do think they were trying to mimic both the spike and scale pattern on real horned frogs and the look from the Black Panther suit but it's not a bad look.  Only part I don't like there is it extending beyond the nameplate.

I would agree. Surprisingly, I spent so much time looking at the yoke and collar that I failed to notice the masks. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

sJ4Vghn.png

7hzaywc.png

ruBmQt4.png

I don't really get the shiny vibe from these. They aren't nearly as iridescent as the adidas number Louisville has used for years. The actual uniforms shot have a lot more lighting surrounding them than what would occur on game days. These uniforms are the opposite of the old ones for me though. I felt the white jersey with limited frog skin was their best look. With this set I think they stand out because of the yoke carrying the pattern instead of the collar. However, it works for the purple and black uniforms. 

I just wish there was a tinge of red in these.  Barely any, but just enough to pop.

2 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

I just wish there was a tinge of red in these.  Barely any, but just enough to pop.

Maybe for a one off uniform they'd add it. They didn't use any red at all last year that I can recall. Possibly a red outline on the black helmets stripe or a red outline under the eyes could work. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

sJ4Vghn.png

7hzaywc.png

ruBmQt4.png

I love the black uniform with purple helmet. The purple on the shoulders blends nicely up in to the helmet in the photos at least. 

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The mascot. it's a Texas thing and I'm not a Texan.

So you hate the Buckeyes name too then? Distinct nicknames in college are better than half the league being called Tigers or Bulldogs.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

So you hate the Buckeyes name too then? Distinct nicknames in college are better than half the league being called Tigers or Bulldogs.

I totally agree with you.  I never said it was a bad name, but not being from the area I can't connect with it.  

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

20 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I totally agree with you.  I never said it was a bad name, but not being from the area I can't connect with it.  

From Heisman Traditions:

Texas Christian University Nickname:  Horned Frogs
Perhaps few college nicknames if any, receive the discussions that TCU's Horned Frog nickname does. Many people seem to insist that they're actually the "Horned Toads" instead of the "Frogs." And of course it is difficult for some fans to resist the temptation of substituting "Horny" instead of "Homed." But before you're quick to pass judgement on what you perceive as a vulgar fraternity house interpretation, the Texas creature is commonly called a Horny Toad. One thing you could call the horned frog in the late 1880s, was abundant. Their presence on campus made the nickname adoption an easy process to hop on. 
The "Homed Frog" nickname first arrived on the Fort Worth campus in 1887 as the name for the school's annual. A committee from two student library societies picked it over the name "Cactus." And while it must have been a prickly decision, the Homed Frog name leaped forward since the University of Texas in Austin had already named their annual, "The Cactus." Gradually the "Horned Frog" name jumped into the University's athletic circles. An unusual fact about TCU's Homed Frog is that it's actually a lizard. The Merriam Webster Dictionary describes it as a small harmless insect eating lizard with spines on it's head, resembling horns. You must wonder if these lizards, feel like the frogs have stolen the spotlight from them, much like the rivalry that exists in the Budweiser advertising campaign. While The Horned Frog name rests deep in the heart of Texas, it's reputation has spread across the nation. The nickname's crowning moment was when ESPN selected it as the No.1 sports nickname in the United States.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived