College Football 2019

29texan

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the new TCU look. The shoulder/collar is a great throwback look (albeit a bit over the top, but coming from a Duck fan take that for what it's worth). Either way, the uniform is modern, contains nods to the team, coach, and school tradition, and is miles better than the frog skin era...

tcu-unis5.jpg

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

22 hours ago, razorback447 said:

I love the black uniform with purple helmet. The purple on the shoulders blends nicely up in to the helmet in the photos at least. 

I'm getting a strong oregon circa 2012 vibe from these. I am curious to see if nike is going back to more embellished uniforms after going hard minimalism the last two seasons. I don't think their designers can embrace simplicity for more than a season or two...it's just not their DNA.

5 hours ago, Green27 said:

I love the new TCU look. The shoulder/collar is a great throwback look (albeit a bit over the top, but coming from a Duck fan take that for what it's worth). Either way, the uniform is modern, contains nods to the team, coach, and school tradition, and is miles better than the frog skin era...

tcu-unis5.jpg

The frog skin era would have been great if it was contained to just the numbers, collar, cuffs and helmet stripe like their black and white uniforms. I understand it would barely be visible on white elements with the purple and gray sets, but such subtlety could have been a timeless look. The chrome helmet really set the black and white sets off, too.

I'm probably in the minority here but the "We All We Need" and "We All We Got" in the collars really bugs me.  I would think that a university, a school, that teaches things like proper English would insist on something better than that,

3 hours ago, Lucas718 said:

I'm probably in the minority here but the "We All We Need" and "We All We Got" in the collars really bugs me.  I would think that a university, a school, that teaches things like proper English would insist on something better than that,

I get where you're coming from with respect to the academic standpoint, but i think those inscriptions are more geared towards the players.

Seeing as dropping the copulas be, is ,are, etc, is prevalent in both Southern dialect and African American Vernacular English (and there's a of of overlap between the two at TCU!), i think its a safe bet to assume that the phrasing chosen would resonate more with the players.

7 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

I get where you're coming from with respect to the academic standpoint, but i think those inscriptions are more geared towards the players.

Seeing as dropping the copulas be, is ,are, etc, is prevalent in both Southern dialect and African American Vernacular English (and there's a of of overlap between the two at TCU!), i think its a safe bet to assume that the phrasing chosen would resonate more with the players.

I don't think it is geared more towards the players..

KNOW it is geared COMPLETELY towards the players.. 

Doesn't make it good (or even acceptable on the uniforms of an academic institution of higher learning) though..

13 hours ago, Lucas718 said:

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I don't think it is geared more towards the players..

KNOW it is geared COMPLETELY towards the players.. 

Doesn't make it good (or even acceptable on the uniforms of an academic institution of higher learning) though..

Yeah... I reeeeeeeaaaaly don't think that's a topic you want to get into...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

14 hours ago, Lucas718 said:

I agree but in a world where anything can be right/wrong or be what we now decide it is for the moment (GOAT... sorry that is not the Greatest of All Time), I'm sure this is considered proper English.

8 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I agree but in a world where anything can be right/wrong or be what we now decide it is for the moment (GOAT... sorry that is not the Greatest of All Time), I'm sure this is considered proper English.

Yeah, trying to claim that different vernaculars are “post-truth” is a bit of iffy statement.

Like @29texan said, it’s a big cab of worms we really don’t want to open.

My thoughts on TCU's new set:

I can't get past thinking of the Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park when I see this collar.

dilophosaurus-gif.gif?w=402&h=214

BUT, I do like it. As said by @j'villejags, I think the pattern being matched with the jersey in a tonal fashion would've worked best, especially for the road jersey. I also like that, despite the design's overwhelming size, it is the focal point of the set (glad they kept the number font the same too).

My gripes would probably be with the lack of pants stripes/design, which hasn't been a good trend. The two-toned facemask is unnecessary, and I kinda would like to see the purple chrome helmet return in the rotation.

As a collective, I think it's decent; but we all seem to be in accord, we need to see it on field first.

6 hours ago, 29texan said:

Yeah... I reeeeeeeaaaaly don't think that's a topic you want to get into...

The fact that it looks silly and sounds even sillier (not to mention it's completely unnecessary, given its location) is the sort of topic this board was built on getting into.. so, yeah, I'm good getting into that topic

39 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The fact that it looks silly and sounds even sillier (not to mention it's completely unnecessary, given its location) is the sort of topic this board was built on getting into.. so, yeah, I'm good getting into that topic

No... This board was created for talking about sports logos and uniforms, not dialects. 

When you get into that, you're bringing up history, difference in culture, difference in economic status, etc... then it basically gets political and we CERTAINLY don't need that here. I'm almost not wanting to ask what you meant by "unnecessary, given its location", but I'll let that slide. 

Just don't get into it at all. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived