• Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Opening Lines from Vegas:

Colts at Chiefs (-6, O/U 56.5)

Cowboys at Rams (-7, 49.5)

Chargers at Patriots (-4.5, 48)

Eagles at Saints (-8, 51.5)

I'm not a better, do those odds mean all the home teams are favored?

2 hours ago, See Red said:

I tune in for five seconds and I already see an officiating gaffe (or an awful rule).

Basically, it was a completed pass and a fumble but since nobody recovered the fumble, they're just going to say it was an incomplete pass?  That is completely ridiculous.

*clears throat*

the rules clearly state that in this scenario (where a player completes a catch and fumbles, but nobody picks it up because it was incomplete), the ruling of an incomplete pass stands.

It says  here:

Spoiler

"When a pass is ruled incomplete, either team can challenge that it was a catch and fumble and that they gained possession of the ball, if there is a clear recovery. The replay official can also initiate a review of this play if it occurs after the two-minute warning or during overtime. If there is video evidence of a clear recovery by either team, the ball will be awarded to that team at the spot of the recovery, but no advance will be allowed. On fourth down or inside two minutes, the ball will be brought back to the spot of the fumble if recovered beyond it."

The key sentence then follows: "If there is no video evidence of a clear recovery or the ball going out of bounds, the ruling of incomplete stands."

I can't disagree that it's a weird rule, but who would you give the ball to? The bears lost it, but the eagles didn't recover it.

tinysig.jpg

Parkey walks into the tunnel amidst a sea of boos. The rage of a city that is no stranger to scapegoating roars upon him, then fades as he shuffles inside, his head hung low. A figure in a winged helmet approaches him, like a messenger of the Greco-Roman gods of old.

"You know I can never show my face in Chicago again, right? I might not even get another offer to play again after this season. Is it worth what you promise me?"
"It is worth it and more. You are ushering in a new era in our league, Cody. Last postseason was only the beginning. Your new life is worth every boink you've ever had the misfortune of kicking. I have you set up nice and neatly. A village in Vermont, witness protection secured, legal name change paperwork ready to file, living expenses covered for life. Who knows? Maybe your career isn't over. They may have an opening in Arizona, where careers go to pasture and die like aged derby horses. We'll see."
"Alright. I guess I'm still on board. Let's go."
With a handshake, the figure says, "You're making a wise choice, Mr Parkey.

Welcome to the Foled."

Meanwhile, in Foxboro, Tom Brady sits in a dark film room. Super Bowl LII is rolling on the screen for the thousandth time. Brady has poured over every frame backwards and forward. He will not let it go. His phone buzzes. It's a notification, simply reading:
"FINAL: PHI 16, CHI 15"
In a cold sweat, Brady sits in silence. The Philly Special play rolls on the screen.

ICXC NIKA

Just now, habsfan1 said:

Also, what happened to Carson Wentz?

Wasn't Foles just the temporary solution? I thought that when I saw him start again. Is he the new permanent starter now?

Wentz had/has a few cracked vertebra and isn’t cleared. He’s not on IR, but I have a feeling he won’t be cleared next week either. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, Jake3.roo said:

*clears throat*

the rules clearly state that in this scenario (where a player completes a catch and fumbles, but nobody picks it up because it was incomplete), the ruling of an incomplete pass stands.

It says  here:

Hide contents

"When a pass is ruled incomplete, either team can challenge that it was a catch and fumble and that they gained possession of the ball, if there is a clear recovery. The replay official can also initiate a review of this play if it occurs after the two-minute warning or during overtime. If there is video evidence of a clear recovery by either team, the ball will be awarded to that team at the spot of the recovery, but no advance will be allowed. On fourth down or inside two minutes, the ball will be brought back to the spot of the fumble if recovered beyond it."

The key sentence then follows: "If there is no video evidence of a clear recovery or the ball going out of bounds, the ruling of incomplete stands."

I can't disagree that it's a weird rule, but who would you give the ball to? The bears lost it, but the eagles didn't recover it.

Ball is placed at the spot of the fumble is the obvious answer.  It was a catch.  The Bears didn't "lose" it... it's only a lost fumble if the Eagles recover it.

What an awful rule.

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

That's why the Eagles called that strategic timeout. Had they not called the timeout, Parkey's first try woulda been good & Bears win.

2nd try he hit both posts and the ball bounced off the wrong side at the end there. Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

Icing the kicker fails more often than it succeeds.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

34 minutes ago, See Red said:

Ball is placed at the spot of the fumble is the obvious answer.  It was a catch.  The Bears didn't "lose" it... it's only a lost fumble if the Eagles recover it.

What an awful rule.

It really is a dumb rule.  If they are looking for a clear recovery, then that implies that there was a fumble, which can only happen if it was a catch.  I don't get how any coherent person could be typing that out in the rule book and not stop to question it.

6 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Icing the kicker fails more often than it succeeds.

I was complaining that he did it.  it really is stupid - say he misses the first one - you just gave him a second chance. 

I don't mind taking the time out well before the ball is snapped, so as to give him extra time to think.  That's fine.  But when you do it a split second before the snap, so that he actually goes through with the kick, that's bush league, and I (almost!) always hope that the kicker misses the first one so he can win it with the second and prove the opposing coach to be a dummy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I really hope the Rams wear those gorgeous throwback uniforms. 

With the game in the Coliseum, the game would look like the old Cowboys-Rams games from the 70’s and 80’s. 

Unless it's like the 1979 NFC championship game where LA wore white and made Dallas wear the blue jerseys.

most of you are really bad at picking football games.  You should probably just stop.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

most of you are really bad at picking football games.  You should probably just stop.

I can safely say with 100% confidence that my Arizona Cardinals will not lose next week :3

A few Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles players are claiming that the missed FG was actually tipped.  I saw one gif that kindasorta confirms that, but it's hard to tell. Guess it'd let Parky off the hook if it turned out to be true.

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

A few Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles players are claiming that the missed FG was actually tipped.  I saw one gif that kindasorta confirms that, but it's hard to tell. Guess it'd let Parky off the hook if it turned out to be true.

Not the clearest but his fingers appear to bend backwards as if the ball hit them.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived