NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Don't you find it interesting that 2007 was the year of spygate, and the next three years the Patriots didn't make an AFC championship game? The Patriots were in 3 straight AFCCGs before Spygate. Then, punished and had their 'edge' taken away and couldn't make it for three straight years.

Correlation does not imply causation.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

53 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

So do the saints fans want to go back to the missed face mask call on Goff and go forward from there?

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So do the saints fans want to go back to the missed face mask call on Goff and go forward from there?

Rams defense was going elbow's high to the head frequently.  Those should have been called as well.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 1/20/2019 at 10:13 PM, Brass said:

What a game. I know a lot of people are obviously and understandably upset with the result, but whoever won or whoever lost doesn't take away from the fact that it was a damn good game of professional football. The Chiefs and the Patriots played goddamn good football today and THIS game felt like the Super Bowl. The Chiefs will take over the Patriots throne in the AFC sooner rather than later. They're a very good football team and this will go down with Super Bowl XLII as the two best Patriots games I've ever seen.

Best of luck to the Rams fans here. Good to see guys like @rams80 enjoy their team in the big dance. Looking forward to a great game versus Los Angeles in two weeks!

If Kansas City had marched down the field I don't think people would be as cranky about the result. Remember, after that "roughing the passer" call the next play was a pass to Gronk who was being being ridden by the KC defender who loked like he had paid his quarter for the horse ride in front of the grocery store when I was a kid. It was obviously a make up call. KC had three different chances to get New England off the field and didn't do it and that's on them, not the refs. 

On 1/20/2019 at 10:46 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

I said in the 2018 MLB postseason thread that the CCSLC is pro Boston. So much for that.😄

Only when they play the Yankees, not when they've dominated the AFC since forever. 

On 1/20/2019 at 11:43 PM, alxy8s said:

If they didn’t do it over Deflategate, they’re not doing it for a missed call. Certainly not to put New Orleans in over Los Angeles. 

All I want to come of this is a rule to make anything challengeable. It’s absurd that it isn’t that way already. Sean Payton should’ve been able to throw a red flag since the ref couldn’t be bothered to throw a yellow one. 

I should’ve just signed off on the NFL after XLIV. Nothing could ever beat that anyway. 

Changing the result also causes more headaches than it fixes. If he does that people will ask him to negate the Patriots win because of that horrible roughing call. As bad it was, it didn't change the game completely. New England would have had a 4th down to try to get the first and if they do and end up scoring, no one knows what happens, especially if Kansas City loses another 30-45 seconds to respond. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Crazy thing is they only won 1 title since 2000 and they are still more hated than the Patriots.

Probably because if you mention baseball to someone outside of the United States, the only teams they know are the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Crazy thing is they only won 1 title since 2000 and they are still more hated than the Patriots.

No, I don't think that's true at all. I don't think people spend much time thinking about baseball.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Probably because if you mention baseball to someone outside of the United States, the only teams they know are the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees. 

This is true to most people in the country who don’t care about baseball either. I remember that I never really cared until a few years ago, and I was stunned by the Dodgers being in LA and not Brooklyn. In elementary school, they would talk all the time about Jackie Robinson, and they always (correctly) said that he played for Brooklyn. 

ExJworW.png

18 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

16 hours ago, DG_Now said:

No, I don't think that's true at all. I don't think people spend much time thinking about baseball.

I think the Yankees hate has faded because they haven't been winning as often, but also people generally just accept that they'll win a title every so often because a Yankees championship is just the price of doing business as a baseball fan. If you like baseball you just know there'll be a Yankees championship you have to put up with sometimes. That's what 2009 felt like. That's about as close to an inevitably as there are in sports. There are no Yankees fans walking around worrying that they'll never see another championship in their lifetime.

The Patriots are more hated right now because of the way football works. A Super Bowl winning team is supposed to be this confluence of all the right puzzle pieces fitting together and achieving this impossible dream. You watch your team collect all the right parts and then hopefully open a window of opportunity at the right time and hope your team is able to play better than the other teams also in their window. If you're lucky you'll see your favorite team win it all once or twice in your life. The Patriots, though, just don't adhere to any of that. Because of the coach and the quarterback it doesn't even matter who else plays for them. They've broken football and they've done it with this joyless slog of 6 yard slant passes on 3rd and 5. And in a league with all these rules designed to create parity it's annoying that it just doesn't ever seem to matter for one of the teams. 

Also, Boston fans have had enough success for four lifetimes over the last 18 years and their most vocal mouthpiece still finds things to complain about. So that's a factor as well. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

...their most vocal mouthpiece still finds things to complain about. So that's a factor as well. 

The root of that is the Boston media. If a Boston team is doing well, they will make up a story to create controversy and then write another story on how random controversy in the locker room has doomed the team. Many in Boston live and die by these never-athletes writing about the teams and then just regurgitate what they hear on the radio. Wash, rinse, repeat.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, but then again I don’t find conspiracy theories very interesting to begin with. 

Just what I’d expect an EDUCATED STUPID person to say!! 😉

Still, I find sports conspiracies to be boring and often stupid. No, Tampa Bay Area journalists circa 1992, NL President Bill White didn’t oppose expansion and moving the Giants to The Trop because of the racism he faced in St. Petersburg while playing for the Cardinals. I wish I was making that up.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:45 AM, Cosmic said:

No, the Patriots are not Actually Bad. Maybe having the best team ever in your division makes it harder to succeed?

From 2010 to now, the Patriots have essentially the same record against the AFC East as they do against the rest of the league (70-20, 43-11). If they skipped the AFC East and played all those games against the rest of the NFL, they would have lost about one more game in nine seasons.

Yeah, I don’t think I can argue with that.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, Cosmic said:

No, the Patriots are not Actually Bad. Maybe having the best team ever in your division makes it harder to succeed?

From 2010 to now, the Patriots have essentially the same record against the AFC East as they do against the rest of the league (70-20, 43-11). If they skipped the AFC East and played all those games against the rest of the NFL, they would have lost about one more game in nine seasons.

But it's also true that in all this time the AFC East has never had a team do what the Chargers and Chiefs just did. The Bills, Dolphins, and Jets might steal a game from New England every so often, but outside of that can't put together one 12-4 or 13-3 year that forces the Pats to go on the road in the wildcard round. Even in 2008 the AFC East Champion Dolphins only won 11 games. It's not that the Pats' record in the AFC East is the same as it is outside of the division, it's that the other 3 teams never present a challenge for first place. The Pats are on the most consistent run of success for the longest period of time the NFL has ever seen AND ALSO the playoffs are easier when you're guaranteed at least one home game every playoffs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

But it's also true that in all this time the AFC East has never had a team do what the Chargers and Chiefs just did. The Bills, Dolphins, and Jets might steal a game from New England every so often, but outside of that can't put together one 12-4 or 13-3 year that forces the Pats to go on the road in the wildcard round. Even in 2008 the AFC East Champion Dolphins only won 11 games. It's not that the Pats' record in the AFC East is the same as it is outside of the division, it's that the other 3 teams never present a challenge for first place. The Pats are on the most consistent run of success for the longest period of time the NFL has ever seen AND ALSO the playoffs are easier when you're guaranteed at least one home game every playoffs.

I do think the loser AFC East teams have been unfairly maligned, but I can’t say they’re any better than mediocre. It’s totally true that you can have multiple 12-win teams in a division, and that’s possible even if you’re dropping two to the Patriots every year, BUT the Patriots also aren’t leaving much room for a team to catch up. Their division record isn’t what’s propping them up, either*. That was my point about every other division having 10-win winners and almost every other division having 9-win winners. The rest of the AFC East does as good of a job beating the Patriots as any other division would (maybe better), but the Patriots pretty much beat the hell out of everyone all the time. Maybe if they have just a few more division losses with 10- and 11-win seasons once in a while like every other good team in the league instead of 12-14 win seasons, the 8-8 or 9-7 teams behind them all of a sudden become 10-6 or 11-5. In some other hypothetical division, you could have a 12-4 or 13-3 team pop up to challenge the Patriots for a few years, but their string of success would be pretty similar. They never have a down year.

* The Patriots’ division record actually did kinda prop them up this year (6-4 out of division, 5-1 in), but the statistics still hold up over the long term.

Edit: And @DnBronc... the Bills have had TWO winning seasons in the past nine, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

I do think the loser AFC East teams have been unfairly maligned, but I can’t say they’re any better than mediocre. It’s totally true that you can have multiple 12-win teams in a division, and that’s possible even if you’re dropping two to the Patriots every year, BUT the Patriots also aren’t leaving much room for a team to catch up. Their division record isn’t what’s propping them up, either*. That was my point about every other division having 10-win winners and almost every other division having 9-win winners. The rest of the AFC East does as good of a job beating the Patriots as any other division would (maybe better), but the Patriots pretty much beat the hell out of everyone all the time. Maybe if they have just a few more division losses with 10- and 11-win seasons once in a while like every other good team in the league instead of 12-14 win seasons, the 8-8 or 9-7 teams behind them all of a sudden become 10-6 or 11-5. In some other hypothetical division, you could have a 12-4 or 13-3 team pop up to challenge the Patriots for a few years, but their string of success would be pretty similar. They never have a down year.

* The Patriots’ division record actually did kinda prop them up this year (6-4 out of division, 5-1 in), but the statistics still hold up over the long term.

Edit: And @DnBronc... the Bills have had TWO winning seasons in the past nine, thank you very much.

I get all of that. I just want one of the other 3 AFC East teams to give the Patriots something resembling a pennant race. When was the last time the Patriots (with Brady) had to worry about the division title? 2002? The Patriots one division loss this year was that crazy Dolphins game in Miami and they finished 11-5. Keeping that the same there's nothing other than ineptitude that kept the Dolphins from winning 5 more games outside of their two Patriots games. How has one of these 3 teams never put together a real challenger (save 2008) in this entire time? 

Now, I fully believe that Bellichick and Brady approach the regular season strategically and do just what they need to to best position themselves for the playoffs so if one of the AFC East teams ever got their :censored: together and pushed them they'd probably still maneuver their win/loss strategy and come out on top, but nobody in the AFC East ever comes close to making it hard for them.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

When was the last time the Patriots (with Brady) had to worry about the division title? 2002? 

In 2015, they were only ahead by two wins, and in 2009, they were only ahead by one win, so that's... uh... something.

6 hours ago, Brass said:

The root of that is the Boston media. If a Boston team is doing well, they will make up a story to create controversy and then write another story on how random controversy in the locker room has doomed the team. Many in Boston live and die by these never-athletes writing about the teams and then just regurgitate what they hear on the radio. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Which sounds odd, because given all the success Boston has had, you'd think they would be more likely to bask in glory than to create controversy

On 1/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, Crabcake47 said:

Normally I don’t like the fact that sometimes, when someone’s team wins a championship, people act like they’re not allowed to complain about anything anymore. Each season is different, there are often legitimate complaints that fans have. 

I’m setting that aside for New England fans. I don’t want to hear another peep out of Pats fans for the first 20 years after Brady and Belichick retire. 

Can we add about five years to that?? (Conveniently reminds the CCSLC that the Patriots we're also in the Super Bowl back in '97, five years before The Dynasty began in earnest.)

On 1/21/2019 at 12:38 PM, habsfan1 said:

Who people are cheering for in the Super Bowl...

DxaGaj5X0AYKlzd?format=jpg&name=large

From my experience being up there among Nutmeggers, whoever made that may wanna cut the state of Connecticut in half--or at least the western third. Seems from New Haven and west they identify more with NYC than Boston, from what I remember. Other than that, though--yep, apropo.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived