NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

4 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

They start training camp in nearby Oxnard, California. I believe they stay there through the first two weeks of the preseason before flying back to Arlington to practice in Frisco for the remainder of the preseason.

Thats what I thought. They’re like LA’s third team after the Rams and Raiders. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

If Garrett isn't going to get fired, please; fire that [censored] moron in Linehan. FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD.

Get rid of him, get rid of Moore, and keep Richard at all costs. Sure, Dallas stunk it up on Defense, but he's still going to be looked at for HC and DC positions.

Scott is a peon playing checkers against 4-dimensional chess and thinks he's Kasparov. God, even a fetus in the womb could predict Scott's gameplan. It's so mundane, and predictable, and he's too stubborn to admit he sucks eggs as a play caller; because that would mean he needs to admit something is wrong, and as I stated earlier, he's not going to do. He's too stubborn to do so.

And Jerry is perfectly okay with this craptastic cycle of mediocrity because that means he still has his almost despotic control over this franchise still. There's no one really around in the coaching staff to stand up to him. Garrett has no backbone whatsoever; he only exists as a puppet skin for Jerry to stick his hand into to make him speak. It was the same with Wade Phillips. He was the Jellyfish, basically only existing to call plays and stand on the sideline and try to pretend he knew what he was doing. Jerry can't accept the fact that there are people in the world who have just a big an ego as him. And it really bruised his ego when Jimmy got showered with all the praise for assembling the roster of the Cowboys that won those Super Bowls in the early to mid 90s. Yes, Jerry had a hand in the team building, but Jimmy was the one who orchestrated the Great Trade Robbery with Minnesota. He was the one who knew the hidden value of draft picks. and how to get the most out of them. Jerry basically was the one to write the checks. He's perfectly okay with the status quo, because, that means he's not going to be challenged for power any time soon.

[Censored] everything associated with this franchise. I should've known something like this was going to happen, because it always does. It always seems to find a way to come to fruition, and they find new ways each time to lose.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, and completely defecating on them, as per usual guys. Truly appreciate it.

[/endrant]

EDIT: and this too...

The Cowboys don’t blitz often under defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, so they rely on stunts with their four defensive linemen to disrupt the backfield. A stunt is when a defensive lineman (or usually multiple defensive linemen) attacks a different gap than the one he is lined up across from. The goal is to confuse opposing offensive linemen by having multiple defenders crash to a different spot than expected and then use the chaos to disrupt the backfield. But stunts depend on the element of surprise, and during Los Angeles’s film study in the week leading up to the game against Dallas, the Rams discovered that the Cowboys defensive line was tipping whether they were going to stunt based on how they aligned before the snap.

17 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

just saying, Brady would have like one ring if he played in the NFC

Ok, so like, Tom Brady is 52-16 against the NFC (as already mentioned). If he were in the NFC he wouldn't have had to worry about Rodgers and Brees for the first portion of his career, and he wouldn't have had to face off against the likes of Peyton and Roethlisberger until the Super Bowl (whom he destroyed in that era anyway). Brady in the NFC could have actually been more dominant, not less.

NSFCvyu.png

At this point I’ve given up trying to find a loophole to explain away the Pats dynasty. They are in fact that good, and it’s freakin impressive. It’s also really freakin irritating and I hope the Chiefs pound them on Sunday, but it’s unlikely because they seem invincible. I hate their guts, but I also have mad respect for Brady and especially Belichick for what they’ve done. 

spacer.png

19 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

At this point I’ve given up trying to find a loophole to explain away the Pats dynasty. They are in fact that good, and it’s freakin impressive. It’s also really freakin irritating and I hope the Chiefs pound them on Sunday, but it’s unlikely because they seem invincible. I hate their guts, but I also have mad respect for Brady and especially Belichick for what they’ve done. 

If it makes you feel better, the Pats barely beat the Chiefs in Foxboro when they last played. Mahomes was jittery in the first half due to this being his first huge primetime game. This time its at Arrowhead and the Patriots are sub-.500 on the road. 

5 hours ago, Red Comet said:

If it makes you feel better, the Pats barely beat the Chiefs in Foxboro when they last played. Mahomes was jittery in the first half due to this being his first huge primetime game. This time its at Arrowhead and the Patriots are sub-.500 on the road. 

True, but NE ran for 174 yards and averaged 4.6 yards a carry in that game.  Kareem Hunt was responsible for 185 of KC's 446 total yards too. 

8 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Kareem Hunt was responsible for 185 of KC's 446 total yards too. 

This seems to be something fans are overlooking. Hunt dominated the Pats the two games he faced against them. The Chiefs can't just throw any running back out there and think he'll be just as dynamic. There are only a handful of players to give the Pats fits over the years, and with one of them out of the lineup they will force Reid's offense to be one dimensional.

I was at first predicting a close Pats win, but the more I think about it the more I realize it's gonna be a blowout. They'll be in Atlanta in a couple of weeks.

NSFCvyu.png

So as we are down to the "final Four" the family and I were discussing two things about the upcoming Super Bowl last night at dinner:

1. We all agreed that the storylines are pretty much set, no matter the match up, and they're pretty much the same:

• Chiefs/Saints  -  'new blood' QB vs. 'old, veteran' QB
  • Chiefs/Rams - battle of the new school QBs (& battle of the West)
  • Patriots/Saints - battle of the veteran QBs near the end of their career
  • Patriots/Rams  - old vs. new (coaches and QBs); east vs. west.

2.  We also talked about  our Super Bowl menu.  Every year, since around 2000, we have made regionally-appropriate dishes for each team.  Some are easy/obvious (Philly cheese steaks, Baltimore crab cakes) while others are more difficult.  So this year, we are looking at:

• Kansas  City - BARBECUE, of course, some kind of BBQ'ed beef (probably brisket with burnt ends), ostensibly with KC Masterpiece sauce. And some Russel Stover chocolates for dessert.  -- OR --
  • New England - Clam Chowder (freakin' AGAIN), and a Boston Cream Pie. MAybe some B&M Boston Baked Beans, too.

AND

• Los Angeles -- Have no idea. What is an iconic, original L.A. dish?  Anyone else have a clue or idea?  What, a Wolfgang Puck Pizza? Some kind of Asian/Hispanic fusion dish?  We may just wind up with tacos if the Rams win.  -- OR--
  • New Orleans --  So many choices to choose from, as the clip below so aptly illustrates:

Back in 2010,  we made a nice big pot of gumbo for the Saints, and for Indianapolis we had pork tenderloin sandwiches and Sugar Cream Pie (which were both VERY tasty)

It is what it is.

30 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Los Angeles -- Have no idea. What is an iconic, original L.A. dish?  Anyone else have a clue or idea?  What, a Wolfgang Puck Pizza? Some kind of Asian/Hispanic fusion dish?  We may just wind up with tacos if the Rams win.

Yeah, tacos. Specifically some sort of street tacos (soft tortilla, carne asada or shredded chicken or al pastor, chopped onions, cilantro, sprinkle of cheese, side of limes).

Or you can just throw some avocado on anything and call it "California" like everybody else across the country. :rolleyes:

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

17 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

I only just recently found out that Adam Vinatiera is still playing in the NFL. I thought he was already retired.

You'd think he is with the huge Santa beard he's walking around with. But nope, still playing at 47. 

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Rams/Pats 

It all started 17 years ago when the upstart Pats upset The Greatest Show On Turf. It can now come full circle with the Rams ending The Dynasty it helped start. 

I'm a long time Patriots fan and even I'm not opposed to this idea. I mean of course I want the Pats to win... but if they were to lose to Mahomes this week or Goff in two weeks I'd not hate either storyline. Passing of the torch to the next AFC stud QB if the Pats lose the AFC Championship game. And passing of the torch to the next young pretty dominant "system" QB in Goff with the added caveat that you mention of the Rams being the team that ushered in the Pats Dynasty to being quite possibly the team that ends it almost 2 decades later. 

That said... Brady beating both young bucks is it's own brand of crazy story. 

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

2.  We also talked about  our Super Bowl menu.  Every year, since around 2000, we have made regionally-appropriate dishes for each team.  Some are easy/obvious (Philly cheese steaks, Baltimore crab cakes) while others are more difficult.  So this year, we are looking at: 

• Kansas  City - BARBECUE, of course, some kind of BBQ'ed beef (probably brisket with burnt ends), ostensibly with KC Masterpiece sauce. And some Russel Stover chocolates for dessert.  -- OR --

67b.jpg

On 1/16/2019 at 3:30 PM, B-Rich said:

So as we are down to the "final Four" the family and I were discussing two things about the upcoming Super Bowl last night at dinner:

1. We all agreed that the storylines are pretty much set, no matter the match up, and they're pretty much the same:

• Chiefs/Saints  -  'new blood' QB vs. 'old, veteran' QB
  • Chiefs/Rams - battle of the new school QBs (& battle of the West)
  • Patriots/Saints - battle of the veteran QBs near the end of their career
  • Patriots/Rams  - old vs. new (coaches and QBs); east vs. west.

• New England - Clam Chowder (freakin' AGAIN), and a Boston Cream Pie. MAybe some B&M Boston Baked Beans, too.

AND

• Los Angeles -- Have no idea. What is an iconic, original L.A. dish?  Anyone else have a clue or idea?  What, a Wolfgang Puck Pizza? Some kind of Asian/Hispanic fusion dish?  We may just wind up with tacos if the Rams win.  -- OR--
  • New Orleans --  So many choices to choose from, as the clip below so aptly illustrates:

Back in 2010,  we made a nice big pot of gumbo for the Saints, and for Indianapolis we had pork tenderloin sandwiches and Sugar Cream Pie (which were both VERY tasty)

For L.A., tacos made with various meats is good but less adventurous.  For an Asian theme, you could make Bahn Mi.

If all else fails, remember L.A. claims to be the originator of the French Dip sandwich (Phillipe's, not Cole's)

On 1/16/2019 at 3:30 PM, B-Rich said:

2.  We also talked about  our Super Bowl menu. Every year, since around 2000, we have made regionally-appropriate dishes for each team.  Some are easy/obvious (Philly cheese steaks, Baltimore crab cakes) while others are more difficult.  So this year, we are looking at:

Los Angeles -- Have no idea. What is an iconic, original L.A. dish?  Anyone else have a clue or idea?  What, a Wolfgang Puck Pizza? Some kind of Asian/Hispanic fusion dish?  We may just wind up with tacos if the Rams win.

Go with a French Dip sandwich. It's a hot sandwich in which thinly sliced roast beef is typically topped with Swiss cheese and onions and served on a freshly baked French roll. Depending upon which of two Los Angeles restaurants you believe to have originated the French Dip - either Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet, or Philippe the Original - will determine the distinguishing feature of how the dish is prepared.

* A Cole's French Dip, said to have first been introduced in 1908, is served with a cup of hot au jus (beef juices saved from the cooking process) into which the sandwich is dipped between bites.

* A Philippe's French Dip, said to have made its debut in 1918, sees the bread dipped into the hot beef juices before the sandwich is assembled and is served "wet".

Both styles of French Dip are usually served with a simple side - cole slaw, potato salad, or french fries are typical accompaniments - and a pickle.        

19 hours ago, Wings said:

Good omen for the Saints?

In 2009 they went 13-3 with loses to Carolina, Dallas & Tampa Bay.

In 2018 they went 13-3 with loses to Carolina , Dallas & Tampa Bay. 

'99 Rams went 13-3 and played the Super Bowl in Atlanta.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived