SportsLogos.Net News

Philadelphia Phillies Retro Cap Returns as Alternate in 2019

Philadelphia Phillies Retro Cap Returns as Alternate in 2019

January 3, 2019 - 16:53 PM

According to a Tweet by New Era, the Philadelphia Phillies will be wearing an alternate throwback cap on the field in 2019. The Tweet, posted this morning, shows the retro burgundy Phillies lid featuring the white “P” with a baseball […]

Read More...

They should make the 70's-late 80's uniform their primary in a modernized form.  They could totally own maroon since nobody uses that.  Alot of clubs in MLB already use red or navy blue.  

Not sure that this is news, unless the news is just that they’re wearing that uniform as a regular alt again in 2019. 

I think it’s just their Thursday home day game uni. 

For a long time, people used to call the football Giants' classic "ny" logo the best mark that is not currently in use.  Nowadays, this Phillies logo holds that title.

I hope this means its being incorporated into their normal look rather than using it just with throwbacks. I think the Phillies are starting to realize how much the fanbase loves this look and are smelling the $$$

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For a long time, people used to call the football Giants' classic "ny" logo the best mark that is not currently in use.  Nowadays, this Phillies logo holds that title.

Eh. It's a good logo, but I'm more about the maroon. And the light blue roads, even though a lot of people on here (you included IIRC) hate all light blue roads. The Phils could totally be maroon and light blue (with the latter as an accent color and maybe alternate road) and have their own unique look, much like the Padres with brown.

27 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:
4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Eh. It's a good logo, but I'm more about the maroon. And the light blue roads, even though a lot of people on here (you included IIRC) hate all light blue roads. The Phils could totally be maroon and light blue (with the latter as an accent color and maybe alternate road) and have their own unique look, much like the Padres with brown.

The comparison to the Padres does not work because powder blue was never a Phillies team colour; neither was it a team colour of the Cardinals or the Texas Rangers or the Twins or any other team that used it.  Powder blue was just one of the standard road uni colours, alongside grey, of the period.  (Powder blue happened to dovetail with the name and the overall look of the Royals, which is why they were the only team to wear it well.)

You can have the classic P in maroon without the powder blue.

Image result for phillies 1989   thon.jpg

This is how the Phillies should look on the road.  The maroon looks gorgeous next to the grey. And the maroon alone would be enough to give the Phils something unique.

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The comparison to the Padres does not work because powder blue was never a Phillies team colour

It is now, with its appearance on the batterman. 

Wait - they did not have a batterman last year?  Considering it was a full-fledged alt that was in the regular rotation and not a one-off, that would really surprise me.

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wait - they did not have a batterman last year?  Considering it was a full-fledged alt that was in the regular rotation and not a one-off, that would really surprise me.

I suppose it's possible that the angle of Kingery's head could be obscuring the batterman, but this photo seems to verify the lack of batterman.

phils.jpg

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It is now, with its appearance on the batterman. 

If the Royals can do it, so can the Phillies. Maroon/powder blue is such a great combo, one that I wish more teams would embrace.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The comparison to the Padres does not work because powder blue was never a Phillies team colour; neither was it a team colour of the Cardinals or the Texas Rangers or the Twins or any other team that used it.  Powder blue was just one of the standard road uni colours, alongside grey, of the period.  (Powder blue happened to dovetail with the name and the overall look of the Royals, which is why they were the only team to wear it well.)

You can have the classic P in maroon without the powder blue.

Image result for phillies 1989   thon.jpg

This is how the Phillies should look on the road.  The maroon looks gorgeous next to the grey. And the maroon alone would be enough to give the Phils something unique.

I know it wasn't an official team color. But one could certainly argue, by virtue of Schmidt and the 1980 World Series winners, and Steve Carlton, and Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, etc., that the Phillies' powder blues are among the best-known of their period. I'd have the Royals, Cardinals, and Phillies as the only really iconic powder blue looks, myself. That's why I think it would be cool if they MADE it a secondary color, if they were to switch back to maroon as their primary. They go together well, and Philadelphia's powder blues always looked livelier to me than the grey roads that followed them (and which you posted).

Hey Phillies, take a look at Washington State sports. 

Scarlet/Maroon and Gray can be stunning. 

28 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I know it wasn't an official team color. But one could certainly argue, by virtue of Schmidt and the 1980 World Series winners, and Steve Carlton, and Pete Rose, Larry Bowa, etc., that the Phillies' powder blues are among the best-known of their period. I'd have the Royals, Cardinals, and Phillies as the only really iconic powder blue looks, myself. 

Ahem...

rollie-fingers.jpg

On TV (especially the TVs of the 80s) the Phillies powder blue definitely worked better than gray.  After growing up with the blue, the switch to gray just made them look boring to me.

HOWEVER, in person, the gray is far superior.  Those colors - gray and maroon - were made for each other.  I think in HD they'd look fantastic.  It irks me that they've never worn them in any throwback game.  Certainly some team they're visiting has a reason to throw back to one of the seasons between 89 and 91.

1 hour ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

I suppose it's possible that the angle of Kingery's head could be obscuring the batterman, but this photo seems to verify the lack of batterman.

phils.jpg

This is another decent look at the 2018 hat...no batterman.

I bought a Phillies TBTC hat in 2017 (when they wore the pinstripe homes), and it had no batterman.

DjpKWCFU0AExa7h.jpg

Interestingly, when the Phillies wore throwbacks in the 2011 Civil Rights Game, against Atlanta (IIRC), the batterman featured royal blue (more true to the 80s primary logo) and the colors were blue/white/maroon:

Philadelphia+Phillies+Throwback+TBTC+Tur