SportsLogos.Net News

Philadelphia Phillies Retro Cap Returns as Alternate in 2019

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The 5s at least are slightly different, but it’s not anything exotic or custom. 

Yeah, it looks like the shop tried to hand-cut Helvetica to create them, and they got something that looks like it, but retains much of the human hand in it. It was that weird era in which photo lettering had changed the way type layout was done, but digital cutters and plotters weren’t widely used yet, so there are a lot of 1970s uniforms that are “geometric” designs, but they’re very loose and imperfect because they still had to cut them by hand much of the time.

199405.jpg

Seems like the repros that that they’ve worn more recently just use a common digital version of Helvetica.

Even the repros can be inconsistent, but I'm pretty sure the ones they wore last year were just as you said, because you can see the slight slant on the left side of the 5.

When I was growing up watching them (my memories of these span from '86-'91) the 5 was consistently straight, like the one below.  I'd be very surprised to see a jersey from that era where the 5 is the true helvetica one.

phillies_311.jpg