does the Colts' striping inconsistency bother you?

_RH_

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i remember losing my :censored: when they made the switch to gray mask, darker blue, striped socks. i think it was more the shock of change and not understanding the reason behind it. today, i think they made the right move. i love the old school look and its more welcome now than ever in this Nike era. i also like the idea of Unitas, Manning, and Luck playing in essentially the same uniform

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

58 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i remember losing my :censored: when they made the switch to gray mask, darker blue, striped socks. i think it was more the shock of change and not understanding the reason behind it. today, i think they made the right move. i love the old school look and its more welcome now than ever in this Nike era. i also like the idea of Unitas, Manning, and Luck playing in essentially the same uniform

It just works for them, and I quite like it. The neutral color gives your eyes a little rest (as opposed to the common technique of cramming color into every spot you can fit it), and it actually allows the team colors to stand out more, in my opinion.

With that said, if the Colts were to go contemporary with their uniform again, I think I’d rather see a white mask than a blue one, especially now that they’re going to be carrying the torch as the league’s only “single color plus white” team. The sheer volume of white is signature to them (kinda like Texas), particularly on the road uniform and coupled with the fact that they don’t carry a set of alternate pants.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

My suggestion would to keep them as is. The only thing i would add is sock stripes. Maybe only add one stripe to match the helmet. Ex: Jerseys and pants match, helmet and socks match. A Grey facemask is the best option when compared to white or blue (even though i used to be a fan of the blue).

32 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It just works for them, and I quite like it. The neutral color gives your eyes a little rest (as opposed to the common technique of cramming color into every spot you can fit it), and it actually allows the team colors to stand out more, in my opinion.

With that said, if the Colts were to go contemporary with their uniform again, I think I’d rather see a white mask than a blue one, especially now that they’re going to be carrying the torch as the league’s only “single color plus white” team. The sheer volume of white is signature to them (kinda like Texas), particularly on the road uniform and coupled with the fact that they don’t carry a set of alternate pants.

agreed, i could maybe get behind a white mask, though i’d tweak some other details to make it more contemporary. new block font? give the logo a little love? my issue with just changing to white would be it looks like the 80s uniform. to me thats “old Colts” and not “classic Colts”.

the alternate pants is the thing id like to see most. throw in a blue option for 2 or 3 games (i dont mind the monochrome look) and give the set a little new life. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

On 1/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, andrewharrington said:

They do have a set if alternate pants as seen in their "Color Rush" alternates which they wore again this past season.

There's nothing stopping them from wearing those blue pants with the road whites especially considering it's not technically "Color Rush" anymore and just an alternate uniform

Ah yes, forgot about those. Still, I’d be shocked if they ever wore them separate from the full Color Rush getup.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This stripe pattern is atrocious and teams who wear it should be shot dead on sight. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 1/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

the alternate pants is the thing id like to see most. throw in a blue option for 2 or 3 games (i dont mind the monochrome look) and give the set a little new life. 

As much as I love the Bills in white over blue I would wholeheartedly scrap the blue pants to avoid the ugly and stupid blue monochrome/white helmets combo. So blue pants for the Colts is a huge no go for me. Don't give these guys an occasion to screw up another great looking uniform by wearing the worst combo as much as they can because they think it looks tougher or more 🔥🔥🔥.

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

Don't give these guys an occasion to screw up another great looking uniform by wearing the worst combo as much as they can because they think it looks tougher or more 🔥🔥🔥.

with striped socks, i like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

m5Ypxgl.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

On 1/12/2019 at 8:58 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

right, they’re similar but those differences are key. imagine watching these teams play each other on a tv in the 60s. maybe black and white? the helmet stripes and jersey stripes are the elements that differentiate those teams (and is where your focus is as a viewer) and its still good principle today to keep them different. 

Their jerseys were quite different from one another back in the 1960s, though. If you look closely, the Jets actually had an abstract/enlarged Northwestern stripe pattern while the Colts had UCLA stripes. Today, they’re the exact same UCLA stripes on the same template, the only difference is the Jets also have contrasting sleeve caps 

55 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

with striped socks, i like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

m5Ypxgl.jpg

Yeah, this is real nice. Monochrome is weird for me. I love this, I love Clemson's orange, and pretty much nothing else.

Regarding the helmet inconsistency as discussed above, I actually used to hate it, and eventually just stopped caring. Some inconsistency isn't the end of the world.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

That’s how I view the home jersey, too, but that’s the only case in which it works. Both the road jersey and weekly pair of pants are blue-white-blue, which is why it would actually be interesting to see them with blue pants (as pictured above) or a white jersey with a single stripe on each shoulder and white pants with a single stripe.

11 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

The stripe matches the jerseys because its a blue stripe in between white. I know its a stretch, but in a way it works.

Thats how I view it, the entire striping system is W/B/W. The helmet just has one and the jersey and pants have two, I don't really view it as an inconsistency.

a2BRS8U.png

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

It doesn't bother me. Still works in my opinion since it's simple and clean. 

What really bugs me is when colors are outlined differently in the same set like Auburn does. 

O5Q6SKIY6VATTHMIATHYUYHFTM.jpg 

The Bears have a similar problem with their pants. They could easily remedy it on their white pants by adding narrow white stripes between the blue and orange stripes and on the blue pants by reversing the orange and white and playing with the widths. But like the Colts’ look, it doesn’t bother me because it’s been going on for so long.

mackjpg-d514e79066083edf.jpg

usatsi_11307338.jpg

82886453.0.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived