San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We already know the three options Nike has for a home uniform - plain with the PadreS wordmark, pinstripes with the PadreS wordmark, plain with the SD monogram. Away may be a bit more adventurous, with the options being tan or apparently all-brown? Oh boy, we may be in for a ride with that one. But the thing is, the choices are being presented by the Padres - Nike is only producing them. Other teams may take advice from Nike on new looks, but in the end it’s the team’s decision to green light any uniform, no matter how much of an abomination it is.

ExJworW.png

how come the unis shown to focus groups never seem to leak?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

how come the unis shown to focus groups never seem to leak?

Probably no phones/no pictures/no hard copies/no talking rules.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I keep coming back to the originals.

27022151672_1cd196fdbd_b.jpg45256_01_lg.jpg

Yes, those are great. Not a fan of the prototype hat, though. Looks like a '70s trucking company logo. Brown and yellow can look great together, but it's dicey and you walk a reeeeeeal fine line with making it garish. I think with those colors, you need to go as traditional and clean as possible. No pinstripes. Block font. No italics or anything like that. The inaugural set is perfect.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

We already know the three options Nike has for a home uniform - plain with the PadreS wordmark, pinstripes with the PadreS wordmark, plain with the SD monogram. Away may be a bit more adventurous, with the options being tan or apparently all-brown? Oh boy, we may be in for a ride with that one. But the thing is, the choices are being presented by the Padres - Nike is only producing them. Other teams may take advice from Nike on new looks, but in the end it’s the team’s decision to green light any uniform, no matter how much of an abomination it is.

Yep and the caps they're looking at are brown with yellow interlocking SD or brown with interlocking white S/yellow D (not unlike the 2016 ASG caps). 

I was thinking that it would be cool to do a cursive tailed script at home and then arched block lettering on the road. I usually want the primary scripts, if a team has them, to be in the same style (Braves, Athletics, Dodgers), but the Padres feel like a case where I'd like a split. I don't have any good reason why.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

I was thinking that it would be cool to do a cursive tailed script at home and then arched block lettering on the road. I usually want the primary scripts, if a team has them, to be in the same style (Braves, Athletics, Dodgers), but the Padres feel like a case where I'd like a split. I don't have any good reason why.

Sounding like if they do script on the unis rather than the cap logo it's going to be similar to the current wordmark at home. On the road they're supposedly exploring dropping "San Diego" in favor of "Padres". 

Which I'm not a fan of...

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Yep and the caps they're looking at are brown with yellow interlocking SD or brown with interlocking white S/yellow D (not unlike the 2016 ASG caps). 

This would be my preference, I think. I understand all the 70s looks that drove the Padres to choose brown and yellow again, but a modern update using historical cues would be good, in my book.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Sounding like if they do script on the unis rather than the cap logo it's going to be similar to the current wordmark at home. On the road they're supposedly exploring dropping "San Diego" in favor of "Padres". 

Dumbest possible move in the wake of the Chargers leaving. Why wouldn't you sell people stuff that says San Diego on it?

Here's kind of what I had in mind:

Zemgvdv.jpg

1NKsK8k.jpg

Nothing outlandish, the colors take care of being weird.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So I'll be the first one to ask... are they gonna completely drop the camo unis or are those gonna still be in the uniform rotation somehow? I think the best way to make this transition is to go 100% brown with no navy blue or camo alternates muddling up the identity but I find it hard to believe that they're gonna drop the military appreciation gimmick cold turkey. 

Archived