Your Favourite CBC Logo

johnnysama

What do you think is the CBC's best logo ever?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This was one of the first polls/questions I ever posted when I joined this website almost 13 years ago, so I'll bring it back for those new here, as the original is now closed to further replies.

For those of you who are outside North America, the CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and is the primary public broadcaster for Canada.

With that out of the way, the organization has had many great logos, which you can see here: http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation

The Q: What's your fave CBC logo? I like both the 1974-86/1986-92 logo (which are the same logos, but with different colour arranegments), and the logo used since 1992 (which is now the longest-serving one in CBC's history). There's just something about the designs that make it look awesome, I feel.

UBwef0L.png

The current one, though the original Radio-Canada is not without its charms.

In a similar vein, I like the neo-'70s logo for Hamilton's superstation CHCH:

chch_logo.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

chch_logo.png

I've been a Hamiltonian for about 1.5 years now. I can't identify to growing up with this logo but G-D of I don't love it now. Sadly they sold their building (couple years ago now) which is equally an icon in Hamilton. 

As for CBC; I love the logo that I've heard described as the "exploding pizza". The '74-'85 version

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

So would the American equivalent of CBC be PBS?

Current logo is the best.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's much closer to the BBC, where both governments held monopolies on television networks for a very long time before allowing private competition (CTV, ITV). I guess the closest American equivalent would be CBS in terms of age, prestige, and the perception of sometimes coasting on both. I think educational television in Canada is handled more on the provincial level.

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's much closer to the BBC, where both governments held monopolies on television networks for a very long time before allowing private competition (CTV, ITV). I guess the closest American equivalent would be CBS in terms of age, prestige, and the perception of sometimes coasting on both. I think educational television in Canada is handled more on the provincial level.

I always assumed ABC was America's CBC. You figure "Canada has the CBC, Britain has the BBC, ABC must be for America!"

And then I found out they were owned by Disney.

Even before Disney bought ABC in the '90s, it was always the most family-friendly and flyover-friendly of the big three networks. That's not to say they took no risks, but CBS and NBC seemed to be much more prestigious networks, CBS being a bit stodgier and NBC a bit more youthful and metropolitan. Of course, now that all network television is basically just "amateur singers live in a house together and have dance-offs to avoid being sequentially eliminated," the distinctions don't really matter like they used to. 

I assume Global is close to Fox in terms of being a young upstart that isn't quite taken seriously? or is that City? or both?

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

TVO (although it is provincial) would likely be the closest to PBS

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

On 1/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, the admiral said:

chch_logo.png

I agree, but the CHCH logo I remember the most is this guy:

CHTV1.svg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

5 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I agree, but the CHCH logo I remember the most is this guy:

CHTV1.svg

Ah yes, the Global years. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

13 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The current logo is great, but I will admit I like the idea behind the butterfly logo as it makes me think of the NBC peacock. 

They were both from the era when color TV was new and exciting. The only thing that holds the butterfly back from being a real classic like the peacock is the logic of having each peacock feather being a different color versus the AFAIK arbitrary rainbow pattern applied over the butterfly.

• 2 weeks later...

The butterfly is good-looking, but I think the 1974 logo is more timeless, where the butterfly is very 60s. Groovy!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived