Raysox's Curling Mega Thread - US Brier & Pro Tour

raysox

This thread is now a big thread to keep my curling concepts together. 

United States Brier Concepts

Tier 1

(this post)
Second Batch

Third Batch

Tier 2

First Batch

World League Curling Explanation

Bonspiel Brand

Update to WLC Social Graphics

Logos Galore

Brier-01.png

So this might be a first of it's kind here! I've gotten into the ins and outs of curling competitions. It's building up to a big project that I'm currently in a lull with. Every year, the Tim Horton's Brier is held. It's a 16 team curling tournament with Provencal Canadian teams. It's a massive deal! So why not have a little fun and do an American version?

We, of course, have a lot more states to deal with. Of the 50, 48 of them have some sort of curling club. Alabama and West Virginia are the ones that don't. I figure having four tiers of 12 teams with promotion/relegation after each tournament would be the best format of this. Two groups of 6 make relegation easy, and the top 2 teams in each group move to a playoff.

Brier isn't a name of a curling tournament, but the original sponsor of the Canadian version. Despite changes in sponsorship, it's remained the tournament name to the point where it basically took on a new definition. I thought this was the best option of a name to bring down south.

I'm talking too much. Here, have some concepts.

Minnesota-01.png

Washington-01.png

Massachusetts-01.png

Folks in Grand Forks (all four of them) would very much dislike a yellow and gold bison-themed identity.  The concepts as they stand right now also seem a little generic, though that may just be the nature of curling uniforms and having to come up with 48 identities. 

That’s absolutely a fair point! Didn’t think of that. I’m trying to avoid team colors as much as possible, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I really just looked up some pics of North Dakota and saw a lot of golden fields and bison! My thinking was these were designed for each state, then the teams that win their state tournament get sent a set of uniforms. That’s why I didn’t do names on the back rather than a state.

ill change up North Dakota a little bit tonight.

Also it's worth mentioning I'm intentionally leaving room in places for sponsors, which teams would have to help travel costs. Also the jacket is supposed to be a clash kit of sorts, I'm going to make them be a secondary color to differentiate the matchups.

really cool stuff man. theres already a nice influence of sport (i see a bit of soccer aesthetic) and fashion, especially in the jackets. i generally like what you've done with the solid color pants, but keep pushing these forward if you make anymore. think about what patterns and materials you can use on all of these pieces. keep putting twists on them and you'll end up with a very nice body of work here

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Cool stuff! I tried doing a bunch of concepts for Canadian provinces in sports other than curling based on the colours provinces use at the Brier/Tournament of Hearts, but it sort of petered out.

In Canada, teams use the same template for shirts and jackets, but switch up the colours. Some of those are based on flags (e.g. blue and yellow for Alberta, green for Saskatchewan) and others have colours that they have traditionally used but aren't on the flags (e.g. yellow and black for Manitoba). The shirts have players' names on the back, where you have the states on yours, and then the province's postal abbreviation in big letters underneath. The jackets have names on the back as well, and a big patch of the province's coat of arms underneath.

Not saying this is a format you should definitely follow; just for information. It's a bit jarring for me to see a different format as well, but it's good for me to broaden my horizons. 😀

I really like this unique idea!  I've never seen a series giving each US state its own set, nor have I seen a curling series.

As a curling fan who lives in West Virginia (I know, I'm just about the only one) I would love to see concepts for Alabama and West Virginia, even if they don't fit into the concept of the league.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

really cool stuff man. theres already a nice influence of sport (i see a bit of soccer aesthetic) and fashion, especially in the jackets. i generally like what you've done with the solid color pants, but keep pushing these forward if you make anymore. think about what patterns and materials you can use on all of these pieces. keep putting twists on them and you'll end up with a very nice body of work here

Thanks Brandon! Just you wait till Maryland if you want pants patterns 😉

I love curling, so when I saw this thread I was really intrigued, and man did you deliver! Each state is great, not too busy, but not too simple either. I personally really like each state having a unique pattern rather than a template as mentioned above. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to where this goes!

20 hours ago, raysox said:

That’s absolutely a fair point! Didn’t think of that. I’m trying to avoid team colors as much as possible, but sometimes it’s unavoidable. I really just looked up some pics of North Dakota and saw a lot of golden fields and bison! My thinking was these were designed for each state, then the teams that win their state tournament get sent a set of uniforms. That’s why I didn’t do names on the back rather than a state.

ill change up North Dakota a little bit tonight.

Also it's worth mentioning I'm intentionally leaving room in places for sponsors, which teams would have to help travel costs. Also the jacket is supposed to be a clash kit of sorts, I'm going to make them be a secondary color to differentiate the matchups.

In fairness, you also chose red and white for Wisconsin.  I would suggest adding some sky blue into the mix.  It's featured prominently on Madison's flag and would help avoid looking simply like the UW curling team.

That said... awesome series! Will be watching.

So I went back and changed

Wisconsin - Swapped black and dark green, wanting to de-Badger the concept.

Wisconsin-01.png

North Dakota - De-ND State the concept, and turned it into a pattern

North-Dakota-01.png

And to progress further, here's Illinois, Michigan, and Colorado!

Illinois-01.png

Michigan-01.png

Colorado-01.png

I realized doing the above concepts t hat it might seem like I'm taking the biggest city and adding Curling Club to it, but all three are pretty old big clubs with dedicated buildings.

As an avid competitive curler, I must say that I'm absolutely thrilled about this thread on the forums. I absolutely love the idea of the series but right now there are a couple suggestions I would like to make.

The shirts that you are currently designing are polo shirts and I can't say i've ever seen polo shirts worn in a competitive scene in curling. Curling shirts are extremely lightweight stretchy material such as the ones seen below.

Dh7wm4uVAAAw0t5.jpg

Also don't be afraid to try some more out of the box designs. Curling apparel is very open and isn't getting conservative with designs like hockey and football jerseys are. Take a look at  the Dynasty Curling website to see their designs. They are the leading curling apparel manufacturer in the world right now and have created some fantastic designs. Right now I'd say your designs are more soccer/rugby style than the swooshes and gradient designs in curling which are coming into style.

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

Oh wow... I didn't even know some of those Dynasty designs were possible with fabric.  Seeing those has me super hyped for this series.

Raysox, as usual, you knock it all out of the park and thus far, Wisconson is my favorite.

7CAjavE.png

Thanks for the info @72freebie! Really good insight.

I've only seen their uniforms in pictures so that's how I interpreted their uniforms. I've seen Dynasty's stuff working on my other project, they're definitely out there and unique for each team.

What I was going for is invoking a non-curling brand's attempt at the uniform, especially since they'd be sent to the winning team in each state without influence from the team themselves. The close ups of the Dynasty stuff uses more of a fake collar, which I never got a good look at until now. I chose New Balance since it seemed like a "mid-tier" US manufacturer that might get conned into doing this project. Then the jackets are from me loving quarter zip jackets and I wanted an excuse to design some haha.

25curling-live-1-articleLarge-v4.jpg?qua4990101600000578-0-image-a-11_1519515567

I love that Minnesota jacket! Looks kinda aurora-like.

North Dakota also looks better with the diamonds + buffalo pattern, though the colors feel a tad Wyoming, but NBD.

Colorado looks pretty great too! I like the flag patch (it might be cool to include flags on other states, too). The shirt would be a good new Nuggets uni idea and the jacket looks like a cool Colorado Eagles concept!

What's the inspiration for Illinois?

Cool stuff and interesting idea to do curling!

Sorry for the delay folks!  @vtgco Illinois was inspired by me texting  my friend from Rockford and just pitching some ideas. I thought it'd be bold and striking since all the other teams have a decent amount of color. If you want a more concrete explanation, the Land of Lincoln and the White Sox.

Finally here's the last four teams in Tier 1! I tried to get a little crazy here to round off the group.

New-Hampshire-01.png

(The pewter colors are for the Granite State, with a crazy cartography pattern on illustrator)

Alaska-01.png

New-York-01.png

Ohio-01.png

(there's 6 curling clubs in Ohio)

So that's Tier 1, the best and brightest in the country. Tier 2 is a mid range of states with a decent number of tournaments and clubs. The best two teams would be promoted to Tier 1.

The states in this tier include:

Maryland

Idaho

Connecticut

Indiana

California

Arizona

Vermont

Maine

New Jersey

Iowa

Oregon

Pennsylvania

open to suggestions for these! I’ve thought of a few, but will take all the help I can get

4 hours ago, raysox said:

Illinois was inspired by me texting  my friend from Rockford and just pitching some ideas. I thought it'd be bold and striking since all the other teams have a decent amount of color. If you want a more concrete explanation, the Land of Lincoln and the White Sox.

Fair enough; it looks pretty good to me!

Ohio's pants are a bit much for me (I'd just do the three red stripes, if I were you) but the shirt and jacket both look really elegant.

New York and New Hampshire's shirts are clean and feel very appropriate for those states.

Alaska's set is so beautiful! I love that striping pattern, which IMO pairs excellently with the Big Dipper. The back of the collar doesn't match the front; is that intentional?

As for the second division, I've got a couple suggestions: maybe you could do a map of the Snake River in blue on brown for Idaho, and a Green Mountain Boys flag inspired look for Vermont?

Archived