Canadian Baseball League (Edmonton Added NEW TEAMS 2020)

72freebie

5 minutes ago, appleclock said:

Looks cool but more like an engineer than a conductor. A conductor is the nerdy guy who punches your ticket.

Very true now that I look more. If you look up a train conductor on google then you get images of conductors and engineers so I was thinking they may both be referred as that. I'm thinking i'll switch up the name in the next update. Thanks for the feedback!

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 72freebie said:

Very true now that I look more. If you look up a train conductor on google then you get images of conductors and engineers so I was thinking they may both be referred as that. I'm thinking i'll switch up the name in the next update. Thanks for the feedback!

Conductors is a really cool name but it conveys the more luxurious/romantic aspect of train travel. You wanna go with the tougher thing I think. Just off the top of my head, Calgary Blue Collars has a nice ring to it, and it’d go really well with the logo.

Back again with an update for Calgary. I went back and forth between Engineers and Blue Collars for the new team name but I ultimately went with Engineers because it fit the team uniforms better. Speaking of uniforms, here they are! The home hat is based exactly on that of an engineers hat. The home uniform is the first to use pinstripes in the series and they are extra thick to look more like that of an engineer's outfit. The two new wordmarks appear on the away and alternate jersey which are fairly simple and use some stripes on the arms. The Second alternate is something unique that I tried with just sing pinstripes on the arms and not the whole jersey. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Let me know in the comments.

JVacwDP.png

HW5pz6r.png

g6x2V2O.png

The identity is solid, and this may be my bias against pinstripes talking, but having a light colour like teal backdropped against white in pinstripes is really hard for me to look at. It’s trippy, it reminds me of one of those “stare at the page for 60 seconds then look away” optical illusions. Maybe thin out the teal and space it out a little more.

The next team to be unveiled is the Oshawa Motion. I know Oshawa may not seem like the best choice for an Ontario city but there are more teams coming after the original 6 so stay tuned. I picked Oshawa as they don't really have much for baseball there and I think it is big enough to support a team. The name Motion comes from the city's history in the auto history and the old city slogan "The city in motion". The logo is a moving baseball inside of a car tire. The colors are blue and white which comes from the Oshawa city flag. The alternate logo is also fro the flag but with a baseball in the center. I plan to use this for a city edition alternate jersey. I'd love to hear your opinions.

botWxOF.png

Calgary looks alright. I like the maroon color for Calgary, and that blue and white striped hat is fun. That said, the C logo on its own is a tad plain, while the C+engineer logo doesn't quite jell for me. Maybe try a C + hat logo, a la the Calgary flag.

Oshawa looks good. Interesting choice for a location, but a solid inspiration behind it. It's a bit tough to read as a tire when the streak is coming from the baseball. If the streak came from the tire, with the baseball as a hubcap, that might work better. I like the city flag logo; it's got some nice color to it!

BTW, I'd be curious to see your take on the Edmonton Trappers (though maybe in new colors so as not to conflict w/ the Prairie Sox)

I am back with the jerseys for Oshawa. I tried out giving the tire the jet stream instead of the ball and while I did like it, I didn't think the wordmark logos looked nearly as good with it so I decided to stay with what I had. The jerseys are a little bit of an old school look with vertical stripes coming from the collar to the sleeve. I think this fits the simplistic logos and color scheme fairly well. The hats are similar to the Blue Jays with a white panel cap at home and a straight blue one on the road. The alternate city jersey is the first of the series to be an old style pullover jersey and goes with a design similar to the old Chicago White Sox jerseys. The City In Motion logo appears on the front and the flag logo on the sleeve. I also included blue pants so that the whole uniform reflects the Oshawa city flag.

QTWzh3l.png

we7rvdy.png

I'm back with a couple of team updates. 

First up is Halifax. This is the one team that I haven't been super satisfied with so I went back and revamped some of the logos. The primary logo uses the cap logo as the main asset along with a new wordmark inside of a shied which is the same shape as the one from the Nova Scotia flag. The new wordmark is more balanced and I think looks much cleaner overall. I also added an extra white stripe to the jerseys.

M12v2Yu.pngor7Jf6P.png

IxveAzo.png

Next update is smaller and is just a slight brightening of the red color for Calgary. I think that this just brightens up the league a bit and fits the city of Calgary better than the darker red.

56oL6cx.png

3N9ST5x.png

KeTR7ao.png

So here we are at our 6th and final team for the time being, and it's a doozy. The biggest trend currently sweeping Minor League Baseball is food based identities. Teams such as the Savannah Bananas, Macon Bacon, and Chicago Dogs have taken on full time food identities and I am personally a big fan. I wanted to do one food identity in this league and I knew exactly which food to do for a Canadian based team in Quebec. I give you, the Montreal Poutine. 

The logos feature a french fry character holding a baseball bat. It's similar to other food identities but still stands out enough to be original. The colors are yellow for french fries, brown for the gravy, and an off white for the cheese curds. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

spacer.png

I'm glad to see the feedback on Montreal was very postive. Here are some jerseys to go along with the logos. The home jerseys ia a dark cream color from the logo. The jerseys feature a double piping to make the color scheme really pop. The second alternate jersey obviously stands out and is definitely the most unique jersey in the league. It is a poutine jersey based off of the Rochester Red Wings "Plates" jerseys from a few years ago. It even has brown pants to go along with it. Overall this set was the most fun f any in the league and i hope you enjoy.

tK9e50I.png

LfXcgf0.png

That does it for new teams for a while, now I will be focusing on putting all of the current things I have into a booklet to present to my instructors as well as a promotional league video. So make sure to stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm back with some work from the next part of the project, realistic mockups. I've been researching Photoshop more and more and now I am ready to show you guys some mockups of real MLB players in CBL uniforms. I am still learning so give me some feedback on how I can improve these in the future.

First up is the $430 million dollar man Mike Trout playing for the Victoria Spirits

YhKE9zJ.png

Next is Mookie Betts in uniform for the Halifax Basking Sharks

nqlaSqS.png

Last for today is the big man, Aaron Judge in the lineup for the Montreal Poutine

TdX2MWs.png

On 2/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, vtgco said:

Calgary looks alright. I like the maroon color for Calgary, and that blue and white striped hat is fun. That said, the C logo on its own is a tad plain, while the C+engineer logo doesn't quite jell for me. Maybe try a C + hat logo, a la the Calgary flag.

Oshawa looks good. Interesting choice for a location, but a solid inspiration behind it. It's a bit tough to read as a tire when the streak is coming from the baseball. If the streak came from the tire, with the baseball as a hubcap, that might work better. I like the city flag logo; it's got some nice color to it!

BTW, I'd be curious to see your take on the Edmonton Trappers (though maybe in new colors so as not to conflict w/ the Prairie Sox)

Somewhere, once upon a time, many years ago I did post a team for a proposed fantasy baseball league that never got off the ground.

The Calgary Stetsons

The cap logo & part of the identity was based on the city flag.

I'll have to see if I can dig those up.

But always fun to see different takes by different people.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Back again with the rest of the realistic mockups.

First is Bartolo Colon pitching for the Calgary Engineers

kPLobap.png

Next is Khris Davis lining up with the Saskatoon Prairie Sox

UVs0QJc.png

Lats is Edwn Encarnacion trotting around the bases for the Oshawa Motion

fOYWVrS.png

I have also done up promotional league poster featuring the leagues' best superstars. Let me know what you think.

KWg4bhW.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone, I know it's been a while for updates on this project. That's because I've been busy with the final deliverable for the school pat of the project. I now present to you a promotional animation video for the league. This is basically like a video that would be released to introduce the teams of the league and get it's hype up for starting this summer. Let me know what you think.

Archived