Carolina Panthers Update

Fifty8_Black O

I decided to play around with the Panthers uniforms and see if I could make an updated version. I wanted a set that reflected the only uniforms the team has ever worn but that would represent a modern upgrade with the new ownership group in place.

Some of my biggest changes were:

1) Dropping the use of silver. I don't mind the Panthers use of silver for the most part but in trying to create a streamlined design 4 colors just felt tough to balance. Silver didn't feel like a necessary part, especially on the away set so it's now gone.

2) Making the helmet black. I wen't back and forth on this. I have never loved the idea of black helmets for the panthers, mostly because I have never seen one that looks great IMO. Especially after changing the logo a few year back a lot of concept work for the Panthers is just putting that logo on a black helmet. I think my problem with that is the lack of a consistent outline and no keyline on the logo cause it to get lost on a black helmet. I tried adjusting the logo, thickening some of the blue parts and making a consistent blue outline. I think it came out ok and black with that logo is the best of all the options I played with.

3) Removing the helmet stripe and changing the facemask to blue. I don't think this set needed a helmet stripe. I originally had one that matched the pant stripe (which comes from the original set), but it seemed like overkill. I think the blue facemask adds enough flair that the helmet doesn't look "plain" without a stripe. I'd love some feedback on this.

4) Making the home jerseys blue. I think it offers great color balance with black pants and a black helmet. It also allows for an all black alt for "big games".

5) Moving the classic shoulder loops to the sleeve and making them consistent across all 3 uniforms. I was really going for "modern classic" with this. Hopefully this set can be worn for 20+ years like the first.

I also made an alternate version of white pants and a pair of blue pants that I may post after I get some feedback on this set.

Without further ado, your UPDATED Carolina Panthers:2sb3gbs.png

Here is a side by side of the logo adjustment:

15x0cqd.png

And some close ups of the helmet and uniforms:

2zgatl3.png

2ue5jrr.png

2d6p2r6.png

2r44xau.png

16 hours ago, Meshmaster101 said:

i hate the black helmet. it doesn't work with the mostly black panther logo.

I'd add a white outline to allow it to stick out. It reminds me of Louisville's black helnet where the red outline logo would disappear in some lighting. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Excellent idea. I agree the white and silver are too much. Idk if NFL rules allow it or not, but I’d love to see silver stay and replace all white, as the the silver pops more than the white in my opinion. Either way, I love the idea of putting black helmets and making it more about black and blue. the panthers have some of the best uniforms, just need some fine tuning like you did here. 

Not a big fan of the new blue, but the jerseys themselves look fine. Always a fan of black helmets for the Panthers, but they could definitely do with a stripe. Also not sold on the number font you've got there, but it may just be the 9 that looks weird. Good start, but the unnecessary color change is holding the concept back.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 1/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, thisguyphelps said:

Stripe on the helmet, black facemask, and a set of white pants. Other than that, good work!

Agreed. The light blue facemask looks minor league. A stripe would give the helmet extra definition and character that would be removed by the addition of black facemask. A white one wouldn't bad either (as well as a white online aroubd the logo).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

So I took some of the comments and re-worked a little. With the helmet I switched the facemask to white and added a white stroke around the logo. Also, I added a helmet stripe to match the pants. I wanted a wide base of the stripe to give this the "modern classic" feel I've been going for. All in all I'm torn on the changes. I liked the simplicity of the stripeless helmet and I thought the blue facemask gave the set good color balance. I do agree with @jus2damcrazey219 that a blue facemask might look a little more mountain-west conference than NFL but I felt like black through off the look. White seems pretty slick.

Also added white pants while trying to keep the striping consistent. I'm anxious to hear feedback on how I handled the stripe. I used Keuchly's name and # to show what a 2 digit non teen number looks. I've played around with a set of blue pants too but I'm not sure about those yet.

As a note the blue is more consistent picture to picture and more in line with what the Panthers actually use. I was having issues last post with image hosting and the lighter blue in some was from an earlier working version.

27ybjgg.png

qz0hlz.png

2hi5y07.png

I honestly think you could’ve made the logo bigger/thickened the blue and turned the whiskers white and the helmet would have looked good the way you had it. With that being said, the stripe does add a nice feel to it all, and it looks great. Maybe a “color rush” look with no outline on the logo or stripe (or even remove the stripe) and keep the blue facemask for a couple games might be something to consider to get both your original look and the updated “full time” look. All in all, great idea, it cleans up an already stellar look. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:52 PM, Fifty8_Black O said:

So I took some of the comments and re-worked a little. With the helmet I switched the facemask to white and added a white stroke around the logo. Also, I added a helmet stripe to match the pants. I wanted a wide base of the stripe to give this the "modern classic" feel I've been going for. All in all I'm torn on the changes. I liked the simplicity of the stripeless helmet and I thought the blue facemask gave the set good color balance. I do agree with @jus2damcrazey219 that a blue facemask might look a little more mountain-west conference than NFL but I felt like black through off the look. White seems pretty slick.

Also added white pants while trying to keep the striping consistent. I'm anxious to hear feedback on how I handled the stripe. I used Keuchly's name and # to show what a 2 digit non teen number looks. I've played around with a set of blue pants too but I'm not sure about those yet.

As a note the blue is more consistent picture to picture and more in line with what the Panthers actually use. I was having issues last post with image hosting and the lighter blue in some was from an earlier working version.

27ybjgg.png

qz0hlz.png

2hi5y07.png

That's perfect, man. Keeps some of the spirit of the current Carolina while making a modern classic. Great job!

EDIT: Agree with the poster under me. For the black jerseys, white numbers would look better.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Archived