Slack debuts new logo

CS85

Not a fan, at all actually, the old wasn't perfect but it was definitely more unique and ehhh, quirky. Loved the way the old app icon just put the S in the middle of the hashtag-a-majig, and captured all the colors simply, it was pretty smart. This one's just nothing.

People have also said it looks like a windmill shaking water off and I agree.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Yeah, I actually loved the original logo, apart from the 8-color thing. The new one just doesn't look right. @Zeus89725 hit the nail on the head with his assessment, but somethign else feels off. Maybe it's the generic bright color choice?

I also liked the original logo better rotated 45° so it was in a diamond shape. The new one feels like too many separate pieces if it wants to be one logo.

tinysig.jpg

really nice icon. easy to see why they did this re-brand— the hashtag as a logo and a generic geometric sans "S" on the app icon is about as generic as you can get, though their biggest problems were 1.) lack of identity design (not logos fault) 2.) mis-use of the logo (not logos fault). we'll need to see more from them to see if that first problem is solved but its only logical that was part of the project

the icon still has that interaction of shapes, though in a more abstract execution, that suggests people are coming together or conversing. it may be accidental, but the "chat bubbles" also reinforce the idea. as for message, idea, narrative goes this logo really nails it. i wish the colors were tweaked a bit though. these colors suggests somehting more childlike than "professional tool" and the harmony seems off anyway, like its not the strongest of palettes. 

probably no need to talk about the type. its so standard and lazy at this point. i hate to go on about kerning, but the issues there actually suggests this was a "set it and forget it" approach. moreover theres nothing in common with the icon, they couldn't possibly be much different from one another. 

all that said, overall its an improvement. at least it has some "ownability". from the little they've shared of the identity and marketing pieces it look promising as well. im not a big fan of Pentagram and theres some details overlooked i expect a studio like them to be on top of, but i have to give them their due when they deserve it. this is solid logo design.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived