FIBA Intercontinental Cup 2019

OlavoP

So it was announced today that the FIBA Intercontinental Cup (or the Basketball Club World Cup) will now be played on a Final Four format. It will be held this february in Rio de Janeiro:
https://austin.gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-champions-austin-spurs-highlight-revamped-four-team-fiba-intercontinental-cup/

VD1C2vz.jpg

The semifinals are set: Flamengo (last brazilian to win the thing) will play the Austin Spurs (G-League champions) and San Lorenzo (Liga de las Americas champions) will play AEK Athens (Champions League winners).

Americans probably don't even care about this tournament, but I decided to share anyway.

On another note, I really dislike the logo they came um for the competition

4 hours ago, OlavoP said:

So it was announced today that the FIBA Intercontinental Cup (or the Basketball Club World Cup) will now be played on a Final Four format. It will be held this february in Rio de Janeiro:
https://austin.gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-league-champions-austin-spurs-highlight-revamped-four-team-fiba-intercontinental-cup/

VD1C2vz.jpg

The semifinals are set: Flamengo (last brazilian to win the thing) will play the Austin Spurs (G-League champions) and San Lorenzo (Liga de las Americas champions) will play AEK Athens (Champions League winners).

Americans probably don't even care about this tournament, but I decided to share anyway.

On another note, I really dislike the logo they came um for the competition

If it were the NBA champ instead, Americans would probably tune in. It'll probably be on NBA TV instead of ESPN because they don't see any benefit of showing it anywhere else. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Unnoficialy around this parts we consider the old McDonald's Championship as the same thing, so in a way the NBA teams did participate from 1987 to 1999 (and of course won every one of the 9 editions). 

Since NBA is a level above and play on a very different set of rules then FIBA basketball, I always tought there should be a friendly between the NBA Champion and the Intercontinental Cup champion, maybe as the preseason opener for NBA teams. But anyway, I like that they invited G-League champs to bring some attention to the cup, but I still miss teams from Asia and Africa, and of course the EuroLeague should come back instead of the Champions League.

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I didn't know this existed, but seems like something the NBA should participate in.

Thanks for sharing.

I think the G League is the perfect fit for this.

Looking back at the McDonald's Championship that OlavoP mentioned, that competition ran for 9 years and had 9 NBA champions and 9 American MVPs. The FIBA Intercontinental Cup has existed in various incarnations since 1966, and the American representative has historically been either industrial league/AAU teams (Goodyear Wingfoots, Marathon Oil, etc.), NABL/CBA All-Stars, or NCAA teams. The FIBA competition has been much more competitive with teams from lower US divisions.

Plus, NBA teams are 133-17 all-time against international club teams, and 99-13 since 2000. I'm not saying an international team couldn't pull a few upsets, but do we really need the Warriors to beat AEK Athens?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I mean, this competition has the Champions League winners instead of the Euroleague, which is the bigger and more important competition. Would make no sense to have the best of the NBA participate in a competition that doesn’t even have the best of the rest because FIBA are a bunch of incompetent greedy idiots and they’re trying to make the Champions League a thing. This is the same organization that will exclude some of their best players from their own World Cup because they were trying to increase interest in qualifying by placing it in timeframes where teams wouldn’t release players. 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

• 4 weeks later...

Archived