Los Angeles Rams Confirm Throwback Uniforms For Super Bowl

SportsLogos.Net News

I just now thought about something: are the Rams' helmet horns painted or decals? Either way, they've got to be spending quite a bit of capital to keep switching their horn colors back and forth like that so frequently.

Anyone know?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, for the 1,000,000th time, it's not their "throwback helmet" it's their primary helmet. There's nothing unique about a team wearing their primary uniform in the Superbowl.

Can you tell us about the countless other times that a team has chosen to assign a former throwback as their home uniform while maintaining their modern uniforms for away games? And then choosing to wear that former alternate in the Super Bowl? Because that sounds pretty unique to me. It is their "throwback helmet" regardless of it being designated primary for two years to backtrack on bad decision-making. They themselves even used the term "throwback" to describe the uniforms on their official Twitter yesterday and they're even using two different logos for home and away games (the throwback helmet logo is on Super Bowl merch). There is certainly SOMETHING unique about this situation regardless of the name you slap on the uniform. 

I don’t know for sure but I’m fairly positive in guessing it’s likely only the Rams with the helmet in the endzone. If you look at the Rams’ NFC Champ/Super Bowl merchandise, they’re using the helmet as the logo whereas the Patriots are using Flying Elvis alone on theirs. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I don’t know for sure but I’m fairly positive in guessing it’s likely only the Rams with the helmet in the endzone. If you look at the Rams’ NFC Champ/Super Bowl merchandise, they’re using the helmet as the logo whereas the Patriots are using Flying Elvis alone on theirs. 

the-new-england-patriots-celebrate-in-th

da0Lbhs.png

18 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

the-new-england-patriots-celebrate-in-th

Sorry, I should’ve cited the specific examples I was thinking of. There’s a couple examples regarding what I’m talking about posted a page back, as well as these:

ff_3398210-d2581f28edd1667e1ff4alt1_full

ff_3404016-a9e891a3b09d1d3699e8alt1_full

ff_3404017-7ce63c65cce86fcc5e87alt1_full

Also, re: the quoted picture, the helmet is the same 3/4ths position for both teams per template but the Rams are using the side profile helmet as the logo itself in other applications. Flying Elvis is on those caps as a logo alone, also.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Do the Rams have an official version of the angry ram logo in throwback colors? It's going to be awkward when the logo is navy/white everywhere and it doesn't match the uniforms. I know the mismatch was the case previously, but I was hoping with advance notice for the biggest television event of the year, they might want things to look right.

By my count on the Super Bowl branded t-shirts available on the Rams online shop, there are 13 designs with the blue/gold helmet logo and 6 designs withe the blue/white Ram logo. (There are one or two sweatshirts/jackets with the white logo as well.)

ff_3397439-6d117d3fbd18bd6504bbc_full.jpff_3400170-23e975b56b23855be4aa_full.jpgff_3403546-9327ab6d186335b29a23c_full.jp

And then every single Super Bowl branded hat available on the Rams online shop is the blue/gold helmet logo. The only other "postseason" hat with the blue/white Ram logo is the division champion hat.

ff_3404008-a9d8a6bedbbf4a7c39a1_full.jpgff_3355669-7d3197682129829545cc_full.jpg

Really, the thing that truly bugs me about the Super Bowl merch, at least online, is that the only jerseys available with the Super Bowl LIII patch are the road whites and the out-of-use navy blues (neither of which they're wearing in the game... and one they just flat out don't wear anymore... Like they have a navy CJ Anderson jersey, which he will have never worn once in his short time as a Ram. Hell, they're also selling the Patriots' red throwbacks with the patch. So weird). The only royal blue/gold jersey available with a Super Bowl patch are the youth sizes. As far as I can tell, they don't just sell the patch on its own either online. So I may just have to make the trek up to Century City to their only outside team store to get my Super merch fix.

So, basically, I'm learning that its not great to have a team in brand transition make the Super Bowl from this perspective. At least they'll be wearing the right thing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 hours ago, Buc said:

I just now thought about something: are the Rams' helmet horns painted or decals? Either way, they've got to be spending quite a bit of capital to keep switching their horn colors back and forth like that so frequently.

Anyone know?

They’re decals. That’s how they can alternate between yellow and white horns with the current one-helmet. Only the Bengals, Jets and Saints have painted stripes. 

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

They’re decals. That’s how they can alternate between yellow and white horns with the current one-helmet. Only the Bengals, Jets and Saints have painted stripes. 

Plus I can't imagine they'll keep switching once they move into Inglewood. Particularly if they win on the 3rd. 

While I think it's dumb that the NFL allowed the Rams to be the only team with separate home and road helmets, at least it saved us from what would undoubtedly be the ugliest super bowl uniform of all time.  It's good for fans so that's one thing, but it also partially bailed the Rams out of a situation that was 100% their own doing.

I'm pulling hard against the Rams, based solely on their uniform disaster.  Photos of them throughout the year don't deserve to be immortalized in yearbooks and other special SB-edition swag.  Their whole package looks ridiculous, and while the throwbacks (home, whatever, it doesn't matter) look OK, they're still straight out of the '70s and are one of those "cool because it's been gone so long but if it never left people would be calling it dated" uniforms.

If only they kept the gold pants full time home and away, they'd have had a perfect football uniform.  Hopefully they get a new perfect uniform in a couple of seasons, but I guess the throwbacks will do for now... as long as they're able to use matching whites next year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

While I think it's dumb that the NFL allowed the Rams to be the only team with separate home and road helmets, at least it saved us from what would undoubtedly be the ugliest super bowl uniform of all time.  It's good for fans so that's one thing, but it also partially bailed the Rams out of a situation that was 100% their own doing.

I'm pulling hard against the Rams, based solely on their uniform disaster.  Photos of them throughout the year don't deserve to be immortalized in yearbooks and other special SB-edition swag.  Their whole package looks ridiculous, and while the throwbacks (home, whatever, it doesn't matter) look OK, they're still straight out of the '70s and are one of those "cool because it's been gone so long but if it never left people would be calling it dated" uniforms.

If only they kept the gold pants full time home and away, they'd have had a perfect football uniform.  Hopefully they get a new perfect uniform in a couple of seasons, but I guess the throwbacks will do for now... as long as they're able to use matching whites next year.

to be fair the home/road helmet precedent was set when washington wore their 70th fauxbacks at home and their standard uniforms on the road

54 minutes ago, guest23 said:

to be fair the home/road helmet precedent was set when washington wore their 70th fauxbacks at home and their standard uniforms on the road

Forgot about that.  What's extra weird about that is that's the same year that they explicitly told Seattle that they could not have two helmets, forcing them to have that vote where blue won over silver.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Rams' helmet, being the first of its kind, should be the team's primary logo anyway, not the St. Louis goat head. I would suggest a simpler helmet design than the default template that has all the little screws and bumpers and stuff on it, but as the team that innovated helmet art, I'm fine with the logo just being a helmet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

The Rams' helmet, being the first of its kind, should be the team's primary logo anyway, not the goat head.

I actually was thinking about that this afternoon. I’m not sure quite yet whether I prefer the helmet or some kind of a ram head primarily, but precisely because of that special history of thier helmet, I would personally not be opposed to it if it were the primary again. I’d certainly be more okay with thier use of a helmet than the Browns.

If others prefer a happy medium, maybe the helmet horn on its own could possibly work (perhaps within a blue circle in order to be used against backgrounds colored other than blue). 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Rams' helmet, being the first of its kind, should be the team's primary logo anyway, not the St. Louis goat head. I would suggest a simpler helmet design than the default template that has all the little screws and bumpers and stuff on it, but as the team that innovated helmet art, I'm fine with the logo just being a helmet.

The Rams helmet should remain as is, blue with the classic yellow horns.

Going down the Cleveland Browns route, when Stl/LA already chose to go with a near perfect combination (decent animal head logo of a ram while keeping the classic helmet intact), that's something I gotta completely disagree with. Imo, I'd hate to see them break what's not broken.

It works for the Browns because they never really had any other particular kind of primary logo and they made the helmet their thing. But a team called the Rams I think needs to have a real solid ram logo to represent their team, even if they've been around for a long time.

Archived