Arena Football League announces Atlantic City team and Columbus too

GDAWG

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The Arena Football League is apparently alive:

http://www.atlanticcityafl.com/news/story/?id=1

Hopefully they get enough teams so we can have a Ted Leonsis Division and a Ron Jaworski Division.

Hopefully the anger towards the NFL over the officiating will draw people towards the AFL.

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Hopefully the anger towards the NFL over the officiating will draw people towards the AFL.

Doubt it. What? Five franchises now?  Three ownership groups or 2.5?

This is now a Mid-Atlantic region league + Albany.

Ted Leonsis is just using it as a loss leader for concessions and possibly gambling, but only in Capital One Arena, since the DC Lottery would handle everything outside the venues.

This is a gambling league now...hoping people will pay admission to gamble

Philly: Sports gambling across the street from the arena

DC: Sports gambling is pending, but the bill has been passed

NY: Also pending

NJ: Already legal.

MD:Legislature is looking at a loophole to get it done faster and w/o a state measure.

46 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Son, have you SEEN Arena League officiating even when it wasn't run out the back of Ted Leonsis' car?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

14 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Doubt it. What? Five franchises now?  Three ownership groups or 2.5?

This is now a Mid-Atlantic region league + Albany.

Ted Leonsis is just using it as a loss leader for concessions and possibly gambling, but only in Capital One Arena, since the DC Lottery would handle everything outside the venues.

This is a gambling league now...hoping people will pay admission to gamble

Philly: Sports gambling across the street from the arena

DC: Sports gambling is pending, but the bill has been passed

NY: Also pending

NJ: Already legal.

MD:Legislature is looking at a loophole to get it done faster and w/o a state measure.

Leonsis also has a streaming site that he is putting all the games on as well (https://www.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/) but still a loss leader. 

5 minutes ago, JH42XCC said:

Can't the AFL just merge with both the IFL and NAL already and get it over with?

Jacksonville isn't returning to the AFL.  Its financial instability was the reason Bouchy left for the NAL.  Any more mergers will be more punitive for the sport than the current setup of essentially three "regional" leagues. 

1 hour ago, JH42XCC said:

Can't the AFL just merge with both the IFL and NAL already and get it over with?

I feel like the arena/indoor football structure is becoming more regional rather than nation wide.  It probably helps on expenses too.

Atlantic City Rollers...and it doesn't have to be a gambling-related identity either.

From the Steel Pier Ferris wheel to the roller skaters on the Boardwalk to it being the inspiration for Monopoly all the way to South Jersey's famous pork roll, there are just SO many possibilities for branding, and the "Atlantic City Rollers" name fits them all.

bYhYmxh.png

10 minutes ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

LMAO the AFL is going to be without a TV deal hahahahahah, that gambling plan worked so well didn't it, hahahahah

They have been purchasing national airtime for a few years now.

This year, every game is to be streamed through an app from DraftKings with 12 games airing on Facebook.

DraftKings, VSIN, and Sportradar are all new AFL partners. 

Just now, dfwabel said:

They have been purchasing national airtime for a few years now.

This year, every game is to be streamed through an app from DraftKings with 12 games airing on Facebook.

DraftKings, VSIN, and Sportradar are all new AFL partners. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH THE LEAGUE CANT EVEN AFFORD BUYING AIRTIME HAHAHAHAHAHAH 

(the Arenafan message boards is the saddest forum on the Internet) 

Drive for five..... Shots to my head

With the Seats burning at Citi ahead

On 1/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, sohiosportsfreak said:

I didn't know the league still existed. I thought it died back in 2009.

It did. There will be no further discussion on this matter. *crosses arms*

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived