MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody gets new uniforms in 2020 except for the Padres. Teams will change when they want to change, if ever. There won't be a sudden rush of changes in 2020 just because Nike is coming. 

I'm sure a couple of teams will add a new alternate jersey or two, but we'll all find out by Spring Training 2020, so we shall see. We shall see.

4 hours ago, ANGELCAT-IDA61 said:

I bet the Cleveland Indians will be other mlb team to get a rebrand in 2020. I also see the Oakland Athletics going with Kelly green full time in 2020 and the Milwaukee Brewers finally getting a rebrand as well. We all know the Padres will get new uniforms in 2020. 

All these choices would be very nice. 

Jaguars

17 minutes ago, Teal said:

All these choices would be very nice. 

Yes they would. As for the Milwaukee Brewers, why not make their Friday Night pinstripes the primary home and go royal and yellow gold full time, with a powder blue road uniform with the old Milwaukee cursive wordmark in a button down version. I would love the Angels to go with a gold Halo and lose the silver drop shadow on their home and red alternate jerseys. I'm surprised they have not done so yet, except for the 2011 season. However, I doubt the Angels will make any tweaks to their uniforms any time soon. By the way, I read  a thread back in November that the Cleveland Indians have a rebrand "in the works" for the 2020 season. That was when they unveiled their 2 new alternate jerseys for 2019. I picture the Philadelphia Phillies bringing back maroon full time in 2020 or 2021.Finally, it would be cool if the Athletics went with Kelly green and brought back the "A's" on their primary home jerseys with Kelly/gold/Kelly head spoon piping and the same color piping on their sleeves, along with a grey road jersey with the 1984-1986 "Oakland" wordmark. Anyways, I can't wait to see the Padres new uniforms for the 2020 season.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody gets new uniforms in 2020 except for the Padres. Teams will change when they want to change, if ever. There won't be a sudden rush of changes in 2020 just because Nike is coming. 

Agreed. 

Jaguars

9 hours ago, ANGELCAT-IDA61 said:

I'm sure a couple of teams will add a new alternate jersey or two, but we'll all find out by Spring Training 2020, so we shall see. We shall see.

Yea that's reasonable just like pretty much every season but I just find it funny how some seem to assume the majority of MLB is gonna look drastically different in 2020 than in 2019 just because the manufacturer is changing.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yea that's reasonable just like pretty much every season but I just find it funny how some seem to assume the majority of MLB is gonna look drastically different in 2020 than in 2019 just because the manufacturer is changing.

The only difference will be the Nike swoosh, which will probably be located somewhere on the front of all jerseys, which is okay. The shades of grey on the road uniforms might be a little different. not sure if all 30 mlb teams will stick with the cool base material or go back to the double knit. I don't expect all 30 mlb teams to make a drastic change on all uniforms, like Majestic started doing with all batting practice jerseys back in 2003.

I think the most extreme thing we could see from Nike is maybe a return to more baby blue road uniforms? I would support that, especially in KC.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

38 minutes ago, kimball said:

I think the most extreme thing we could see from Nike is maybe a return to more baby blue road uniforms? I would support that, especially in KC.

The Royals would definitely look good in powder blue road uniforms, especially if they make their baby blue alternate top the primary road jersey with matching pants to go with it. I think powder blue road uniforms will be a new trend in the next decade, just like cream colored home and alternates have been in this decade. I remember back in the 2000's, black alternate tops were becoming a trend for the Oakland Athletics, Astros, Blue Jays, Mets, Royals, and Rockies, but got phased out for most of those teams. Teams that would also look good in powder blue road uniforms would be the Rays, Blue Jays, Brewers, Cubs, Nationals, Rangers, and Twins. I see that happening a lot in the 20's, especially if there are a couple of expansion teams coming along.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I think the most extreme thing we could see from Nike is maybe a return to more baby blue road uniforms?

I hope not. It’s just a trend people who grew up in that era clamor for, but gray road uniforms are my personal preference. It’s fine as a throwback here and there, but nostalgia does not make for a good full-time design. It’s like the Orioles’ all-orange or Indians’ all-red. It’s a fun throwback, but certainly a sign of the times more so than something that needs to happen full-time. Might as well bring back pullover jerseys while you’re at it...

Okay, I might be getting a little off topic here, but I hope within the next few years, all 30 mlb teams( 32 if there is an expansion) will be restricted to wearing home whites/cream  and road greys only and all teams that have alternate jerseys will use them in Spring training and batting practice only. However, I would not mind a few teams like the Mariners, Braves, Cardinals, and Pirates wearing their cream alternate uniforms as a Sunday uniform. I doubt that will ever happen, but I'm more of a traditionalist, which puts me in the minority.

I think Nike will handle things similarly to how they handle the NFL. Some good, some bad.

I can see them leaving traditional teams more or less alone, like Cards, Yankees, Cubs, Boston. They'll still look great and more or less like they should.

Then I can see them going full experimental on somebody like Seattle or Tampa. And it will probably be terrible. Digital clock numerals like the Buccaneers or some trash like that.

I just hope they don't come up with weird collars and odd inserts / seams.

12 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Then like the post, you don’t need to tell us this.

I’m fine with Nike changing the Spring uniforms. I’m just nervous about this Player’s Weekend” crap! 

You are not a mod. Stop trying to control what people are allowed to post. 

Jaguars

On 1/27/2019 at 9:54 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I hope there won't be, but Nike can be persuasive. Plenty of NFL teams have changed without good reason since 2012.

Define “good reason”. It means something different to teams than it does to fans. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Teal said:

You are not a mod. Stop trying to control what people are allowed to post. 

You're not a mod either.

And he does have a point. One of the reasons we instituted a like button on the boards was to cut down on the number of posts that simply say "agreed" or something similar.

Archived