Misconceptions of logos

I am curious if any logos you recall from your youth or even adulthood caused you to have a misconception of some sort or another.

The one I think of is the old Denver Broncos logo the white horse inside the orange "D" breathing dust out of his nostrils.

As a youth, I thought that was the horse holding a lit flashlight.

FLASHLIGHT.png

What logos if any caused you misconceptions?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew this logo was supposed to be a buffalo, but I could never see it when I was younger because I would always read it the wrong way (right-to-left instead of left-to-right or vice versa. I still have that issue sometimes when I see the Blues or Red Wings logos).

417982000.gif

The back of the neck and the tuft under the chin were the mouth with the little hair in between (to the left of the snout) was the tongue. Then the eye was behind the horn in some sort of abstract design I guess. 

I'm convinced I saw it like that because of the triangle-ish shape in the bottom right of the logo. I still don't know what that's supposed to be. 

IEI5Tg1.png

2 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I knew this logo was supposed to be a buffalo, but I could never see it when I was younger because I would always read it the wrong way (right-to-left instead of left-to-right or vice versa. I still have that issue sometimes when I see the Blues or Red Wings logos).

417982000.gif

The back of the neck and the tuft under the chin were the mouth with the little hair in between (to the left of the snout) was the tongue. Then the eye was behind the horn in some sort of abstract design I guess. 

I'm convinced I saw it like that because of the triangle-ish shape in the bottom right of the logo. I still don't know what that's supposed to be. 

The triangle shape at the lower right is part of his neck and his head is turned to his left (our right)

Most of my notable logo misconceptions that come to mind came from being a little kid when I saw them and not fully understanding what they were or represented, and my 5-7 year old brain trying to figure out how they related to team names and such. So it wasn’t always a misconception about what was in the logo so much as it was what it meant that I messed up. 

Again, bear in mind this is the mind of a very young kid in the late 90’s! :P 

- Seeing the Pistons’ horse head, I thought “Pistons” were mythological creatures which were horses with flaming manes. Didn’t know anything about the car part until I was like, 8 or so.

- I didn’t know a clipper was a ship, so I thought the Clippers were named after the tool and the logo (simple basketball with team name) played into that because I “rationalized” it must’ve been too hard to make a good logo out of a pair of clippers. I even remember as a kid drawing a “new” logo for them that was a pair of clippers with teeth in front of a basketball.

- Thought the Blazers’ logo was some weird, obscure, abstract representation of fire because I wasn’t familiar with “trail blazing”. Fire was the only connotation I had with the word “blaze” then.

And one that wasn’t a “mascot” misconception due to the logo but was a misconception nonetheless:

- Thought the Raiders’ pirate was elderly and had a white moustache because of the lines from his nose to his mouth. I dunno, kinda looked like a moustache outline to me back then.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, wdm1219inpenna said:

The one I think of is the old Denver Broncos logo the white horse inside the orange "D" breathing dust out of his nostrils.

FLASHLIGHT.png

What logos if any caused you misconceptions?

Damn. I’m a grown man and until I read this post I thought that horse was getting poked in the face with some sharp object.  

I used to think as a child South Carolina’s logo was a Chinese dragon, especially when viewed in tiny applications such as a Pocket Pro helmet. Almost as if the ruffled feathers on the neck was the head and the bird’s protruding head was an oddly-shaped mouth: 

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/5gje9m4b1shmcd442rkpxkeb8/South_Carolina_Gamecocks/1983/Primary_Logo

I used to think Texas' was a uterus. 

Actually, I still think that. 

124zjer.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

I used to think as a child South Carolina’s logo was a Chinese dragon, especially when viewed in tiny applications such as a Pocket Pro helmet. Almost as if the ruffled feathers on the neck was the head and the bird’s protruding head was an oddly-shaped mouth: 

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/5gje9m4b1shmcd442rkpxkeb8/South_Carolina_Gamecocks/1983/Primary_Logo

If you look at the feathers right, it looks like an eye, and it also looks like fire. It’s a mess. I used to think it’s tail (or tails?) was like Medusa’s head, and just a bunch of snakes.

I for some reason also thought it was an O, not a C. Idk why. But I used to wonder why South Carolina, had an O.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

7 hours ago, wdm1219inpenna said:

I am curious if any logos you recall from your youth or even adulthood caused you to have a misconception of some sort or another.

FLASHLIGHT.png

As a kid, I always saw this logo reversed and thought it looked like some weird alien from war of the world's or something. I knew it was a horse but I always saw it as the mane being either a mouth with two eyes above it or the mane was like an all seeing eye and the smaller indent lower was a small mouth. And everything else like the tentacles from its back. 

Again. I never not knew it was a horse. But I just never saw that on first look. It was like a magic eye logo to me. Had to concentrate. 

I'm not going to lie. When it was first introduced, I thought the Avalanche logo was an abstract of someone tubing down a snow hill. Why I thought that I have no idea. Later on I had someone tell me they thought the Avs logo was an avalanche covering up a tire. They thought it was due to the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry of the '90s, and that the Avs were taking a swipe at the Motor City. 

220px-Colorado_Avalanche_logo.svg.png

51f23wq66YL.jpg

When I was like 6, it was the mid-90's when MJ was owning the NBA and it seemed like everyone was a Bulls fan.  MJ and the Bulls were everywhere.  Living in the DC area I also would hear about the Bullets.  I thought they were the same team with Bulls being short for Bullets and that the hands in the Bullets logo were bull horns.

Washington Bullets (1988 - 1997)

90758391980.gif

I had a few things mixed up as a kid

- I thought Chief Wahoo had a thin mustache. That line next to his nose would sometimes make it look that way, especially on the Indians hat I had as a kid.

- I used to call Georgia's football team the Red Bay Packers because they had the same logo as the Green Bay NFL team and wore red jerseys.

- The soccer team I played for at the age of 6 was sponsored by Cutler-Hammer and we had their logo on the front of our shirts. Once I became a hockey fan at the age of 8 I thought the Montreal Canadiens were just the Culter-Hammer hockey team.

Related image

T1oYViW.png

3 hours ago, msu said:

I'm not going to lie. When it was first introduced, I thought the Avalanche logo was an abstract of someone tubing down a snow hill. Why I thought that I have no idea. Later on I had someone tell me they thought the Avs logo was an avalanche covering up a tire. They thought it was due to the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry of the '90s, and that the Avs were taking a swipe at the Motor City. 

220px-Colorado_Avalanche_logo.svg.png

When I was young I thought it was a bird holding a puck in his wing. Actually... I still see a bird in that.

4r2eer.png

Archived