MLS rebrands by mcrosby: LAFC, Cinci, Chicago

mcrosby

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last post got me to thinking about DC United. For a moment I considered renaming them to District United, but DCU is pretty iconic at this point. 

I went away from the eagle, because the black heraldic eagle has always felt less American and more...on a different....Axis...if you know what I mean. DC was planned in a diamond, so let's run with that and their fantastic flag. 

1v0tiR4.png

1 minute ago, mcrosby said:

That last post got me to thinking about DC United. For a moment I considered renaming them to District United, but DCU is pretty iconic at this point. 

I went away from the eagle, because the black heraldic eagle has always felt less American and more...on a different....Axis...if you know what I mean. DC was planned in a diamond, so let's run with that and their fantastic flag. 

1v0tiR4.png

Where can we find the jersey mesh background?

hvmY186.png

3 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Made it myself. Found a big ole soccer jersey pic online, took a portion of it and then made a few layer copies and messed with darken, color burn, and multiply. I would suggest trying to make one yourself. It's worth playing around with each layer to find something you like. 

Iiq6g7p.png

Would be great for hat template you ever made one, good job

hvmY186.png

First of all, these concepts are just stunning and great, nothing I can complain about. But, I will say this, dont try to Americanize every brand with a name change. This concept of Americanising thing is wonderful, but you must remember that MLS has a stigma of being and pardon my language, a s*** league that only attracts old talent. Thats not my opinion by the way.

If you are going to Americanize teams, do it in logos, colours and kits, not necessarily names. Your NYCFC logo is a perfect example of Americanization done properly i feel. It represents New York City and still has a European sounding name. Some brands i will admit need a name change (NYRB, Real Salt Lake, im looking at you) whereas other i feel do not, such as Houston, in which many fans may feel alienated as Houston first two seasons in the MLS were championship seasons, so some may not want to lose a name related to that era. If you were going to Americanize names, I would try to incorporate something related to the city or state, such as Nashville and the Six Strings, very smart and also unique, yet not too out of place within a soccer community.

Other than that knock, this series is fantastic and your designs are spectacular, keep up the good work

For DC United, I'd just put "DC" in the crest. Alternatively, you could put "DC" on one line and "United" right below it, both in smaller font. Maybe do both (the DC-only crest for the uniforms).

My thing is, I hear "DCU" and think of Digital Federal Credit Union in Massachusetts.

Just my $0.02.

The crest itself is awesome. The font is great. I've got no other gripes, really.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Guest darkpiranha

I remember the old soccer thread "The America League", his DC team was called just "The District", which I always loved.  It just gave it such a tough, arrogant flavor.  "District United" has some of that flavor.  It has more swagger than "DC Whatever"

I like it best with DCU.  As much as I'd like the name "District" if this were a new team, DC United is one of the few names from the original MLS that made sense as the name for a soccer team.  Therefore, I prefer it stays.

I definitely prefer the eagle as @BellaSpurs mentioned. I find this one to be lacking. Looks more like a store or business logo and not one for sports albeit soccer/futbol.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

So I would have recommended the red & white-only DC logo, and gone with "DC" as the text.

But then you did an amazing job on the eagle, so run with that!

I definitely recommend stylizing the DC map in an angular fashion to match the rest of the logo.

Other than that, maybe it'd be cool if you could incorporate the Washington Monument? When I see all the chevron shapes above and below the red, I start to think it could work. But it's fine as-is, so NBD if it doesn't.

As for your kits, I like that Salt Lake home jersey and the Houston moon jersey quite a bit!

The pattern on Salt Lake's away feels way too jarring, IMO. I'd try a mountain zig-zag pattern instead. Also, the SLC wordmark is awkward on the shorts.

Nashville just feels like an LA Galaxy fauxback. I'd rather see yellow/white/yellow at home, and a bluer shade of teal.

More good work! I look forward to Dallas!

Archived