MLS rebrands by mcrosby: LAFC, Cinci, Chicago

mcrosby

I’ve been able to experience Utah for a small go during my club hockey career and I feel like you’re on the right track, going off my experience, but the colors are too toned down for Utah. The neon like blue is too much of cry for balance of color, but I’m no help because I have really no suggestion to tweak. Maybe try going more towards Utah Jazz City Edition colors?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Real rough draft, just to put some ideas on paper. I put some logo-explainers in there, I don't think they're too distracting. But seriously, I'm against the name Real Salt Lake. There aren't a lot of great name options for Salt Lake City. Great Salt Lake SC, SLCSC. The MLS already has two 'City' clubs. I'm not sure where I'm going with this concept, but it's unfinished and I need your help. 

igd173c.png

Edit: Some late night, polar vortex upates. 

cMriZUO.png

I feel like you could work a honeycomb-style "SLC" in the grooves on top of the hive that'd look much less tacked on than the "SALT LAKE" mark you're using now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the club becoming another "City" since that's part of the actual city's name.  I'd also think of getting rid of the lake.  I can definitely appreciate what you were going for, but I'm not sure it actually works.  Maybe try the state outline of Utah instead?

Your one with the Salt Lake looks best to me, so far. But for your latest one, given the mountains, you could put a beehive or a map of Utah in the middle, or maybe an angular Sego Lily.

I'm not really feeling the angular font; I think a normal sans-serif font would do fine.

If you're looking for a better name with the bee theme, you could go with Salt Lake Hive, Industry Salt Lake, or Colony/Colonia Salt Lake (double-significance: group of bees and settlers)

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

If you're looking for a better name with the bee theme, you could go with Salt Lake Hive, Industry Salt Lake, or Colony/Colonia Salt Lake (double-significance: group of bees and settlers)

Ooh, I like Colony/Colonia. What's best? 

1. Salt Lake City Colony
  2. Colony Salt Lake City
  3. Salt Lake Colony
  4. Colony Salt Lake

DG0BlzJ.png

Houston Apollos: 

Like Real Salt Lake, I've never been a fan of the Dynamo monicker so...new name! Houston already has the Rockets and Astros, so I went with that theme. The crest shape is that of the Apollo missions' command module, and the Earthrise over the Moon is from the Apollo 11 patch. 

I'm not 100% on this yet, so critique away. 

olGvvkw.png

14 minutes ago, Section30 said:

First off, this whole thread is amazing. Houston looks good, but I feel that it might be too detailed, I think it's too much for if it is shrunken down or on the front of a jersey.

Do any teams use a simplified logo for small scale? I don't see why they couldn't regulate that. 

i2utGwG.png

I love that Houston badge! 😍  Not only does the name work, but you've set them up for an instant rivalry with LA Galaxy.

Curious what it might look like with a more mid-century style font, though.  Like so.
da880464e58dd86d978dae7fee1e2991.gif

Guest darkpiranha
13 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Do any teams use a simplified logo for small scale? I don't see why they couldn't regulate that. 

i2utGwG.png

My heart weeps for my town that this isn't the identity of our team.  My only suggestion is wondering what a slightly more contrast-y moon looks like.  I'm sure you've tried many variations of it, but that's the only element that you kinda have to look at twice and wrap your brain around before it clicks in.  

On 1/28/2019 at 10:18 PM, mcrosby said:

Oh no...

This might be turning into a series. 

The worst logo in American professional sports is in dire need of something new. Prepare yourself for some logo-explainerTM nonsense.

• 6 red stripes for the 6 New England states
  • 11 total stripes for the 11 revolutionary players on the pitch
  • a shield reminiscent of the Massachusetts official seal, and so tall for @raysox
  • an evergreen tree, because New England. 
  • is that a 3 pointed hat?
  • look at that revolutionary as sh** font. 

revolution.png

sGSlgQ0.png

I'm being serious when I say that I'm not into the Revs as I could be, because of the :censored: logo. this is absolutely amazing I'd be a fan with this

Houston and Atlanta look awesome!

I love both of those name changes.

For Houston, I'm not feeling the blue craters. The gray on gray was fine, it's just for the logo and doesn't need to be a part of the team's color scheme.

Atlanta is way less generic! Amazing work! I'd ditch the soccer ball, and maybe consider bringing back some of the bevels.

The SJ update is okay, but not great. No soccer ball is cool but the Q looks kinda awkward and the chevrons don't feel right.

I still think Salt Lake could use some work. I think it should just be "Colonia Salt Lake" (without "City") and I feel like your 2nd version with the map was organized the best.

On the graphic, Toronto's kind of a downgrade, IMO. It's still just as generic and it looks awkward curved up.

I like KC but the K is too tall. NE's MLS logo should have more blue; green should just be an accent.

Archived