Fixing Minnesota Baseball (Twins and Saints)

seasaltvanilla

So both the Twins and minor league St. Paul Saints have degraded their looks in the past five years, in my opinion. The Twins are a disjointed, ugly mess, and the Saints downgraded (from their look when they moved to their new ballpark. I spent the weekend fixing both teams.

First, the Twins. The philosophy was to combine their most successful look (in the Metrodome) with their previous outdoor look (at the Old Met) into a modern Target Field look. The most significant change is how the Kasota limestone at Target Field is incorporated into the identity. Instead of an ugly mustard color I chose a much lighter beige that A. actually matches the limestone in the park and B. integrates much better with the navy and red. It replaces all white in the Twins' identity (mostly to prevent unsightly clashing). The Twins' old powder blue also returns as a quarternary color (all with fancy marketing names, of course :P ) Updated scripts replace the serif fonts of the Metrodome design, as well as the aforementioned swapping of a cream instead of white home uniform.

1ffDjkQ.png

(Click for full size)

The powder blue alternates are the most "out there" design, but I think they look whimsical and recall sunny summer days at the ballpark (in my head I call them the "ice cream" jerseys).

The St. Paul Saints don't look as bad as the Twins do, but I still prefer their old identity to their current one.  I reduced the number of strokes to one on all the logos and created a matching St. Paul script. The pig logo was designed for the All-Star Game and adopted as a secondary logo by the team (it features a "hidden" STP). The uniforms retain the Dodgers inspired red front numbers, as the original Saints were their farm team.  I emphasized blue more than their previous look, which, strangely, used mostly black.

Eh8UjZg.png

For the Twins, I would go from Red-Heavy to Navy-Heavy. That would mean Navy Wordmarks rather that red. The Red is fine on the Powder Blue Alternate though. It would be a good idea to not have the T part of the TC not be Navy on the PB Cap. The Kasota Good looks okay on the Home, Away, and Navy Alt, but it muddles up the PB Alt. Even though I'm a firm believer that the Twins should ditch the "Gold" completely, your concept makes it work sort-of.

da0Lbhs.png

Overall looks good!  Always nice to see Twins concepts, and the Saints look great as well.  I like the cream and navy uniforms for the Twins.  While I don't mind the gold too much on the current uniforms, these are cleaner and simpler. 

I would love to see the Twins bring back baby blue, but for your design, what if the script and numbers were navy outlined in red?  Or make the T on the cap cream, like what simtek34 suggested.  I think it would look better if the accent colors were consistent.

Thanks for the comments and feedback! Requested changes:

EF31PbU.png

I'll admit being somewhat opposed to navy-outlined-in-red for the home and away as I feel it just makes them slightly modernized throwbacks to the Old Met uniforms instead of a mix of the Dome and the Met uniforms. Especially since the drive with the rebrand has been to tie the new look into the look of the ballpark I feel Target Field should have a uniform set that is distinctly its own, while still being a recognizable evolution of the Twins brand. I agree that it looks better on the powder blue uniforms though.

I actually think that the red-outlined-in-navy wordmarks for the powder blue Twins jersey looks better than the opposite. 

I'm also not a fan of the navy blue in the Saints identity. I don't think they need anything besides the light blue and white. The red numbers are much cooler now that I understand the history behind them! 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Overall, I really like this look for the Twins! The replacement of cream/kasota gold in place of white is a great move, and I like the inclusion of light blue. Although I agree that the navy letters/red outline looks aesthetically better, I like your reasoning for wanting to combine the past eras into something new. Personally I’ve never been a fan of the road pinstripes for the Twins, but that’s your call. 

I’m actually surprised at how much I like both iterations of the powder blue uniform, though I would recommend whichever one you choose to use the opposite cap of the one you paired it with, as I feel each cap would look better with the other iteration of the powder jersey. 

One minor thing about the wordmarks, the transition from the scripts to the underline looks a bit clunky and angular to me, I would make it more round to appear more smooth. 

The Saints look good too, personally I think the removal of black would improve the look but I understand that its part of their scheme.

Great job, looking forward to hopefully more in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived