NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

I'm noticing a pattern too.  A pattern that has Adidas spending more time on trendy embellishments than the actual design of their jerseys.  How much better would the "stealth" stealth jerseys look if they'd taken contrast into consideration, how improved would the Hurricanes alternate look if "storm grey" wasn't confined to the yoke and how much better would Tampa's alternate look with some blue and white striping.  Make solid design first, then worry about the embellishments.

Occasionally, a team will send you an image or description and say, “This is what we want it to look like.” Coincidentally, that’s what happened with all three of those (SJ, CAR, and TB).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MEANS said:

So you want a stealth look but with contrast? Kinda defeats the purpose.

No, I definitely don't want a stealth look.  Having a jersey with logos and striping that disappear into a void of black is a bad idea...  The uniform looks fine up close but from a distance it doesn't look much better than Tampa's new alternate.  And it's a shame because the Team and Adidas did some good things.  The circuit-board striping is an inventive touch and the decision to bring back and update the original 'fin' was long overdue.  Still, the contrast issue turns it into more of a lateral move than an upgrade.

As always it seems some folks are forgetting that the TEAM has final say and also has HUGE say in the direction of the jersey design as well.

Definitely guilty of that, my bad.

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Occasionally, a team will send you an image or description and say, “This is what we want it to look like.” Coincidentally, that’s what happened with all three of those (SJ, CAR, and TB).

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

I'm noticing a pattern too.  A pattern that has Adidas teams spending more time on trendy embellishments than the actual design of their jerseys.

Complaint still stands.

13 hours ago, M4One said:

I remember there was mock up or an actual jersey with the Wild logo in green, yellow, and black from a couple years ago during the time Minnesota were to host the stadium series game.  It looked pretty sharp.  Trying to find it, but no luck.  I would take that over any Minnesota script logo or a black jersey. 

Adding a minimal amount of black as trim to a mostly green or red jersey wouldn't be too bad.

I do agree that as much as I hate that Minnesota's jerseys haven't matched in a wild, they have all looked pretty damn good.

Not the actual one I remembered, but this gives an idea of what I'm talking about.

EebXMTuYQsQ4=

cmtwll8wcaalxwp-jpg-large.jpeg

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Just awful. I saw highlights of one of the games in which they wore these.

You can't even see the numbers on the back. Did anyone do any testing to see if the numbers are legible at the rink and on TV before they green lighted these things.

You see that on high school and small college teams.

Their Maple Wings uniforms are plain enough. It works for Original 6 teams like the Leafs and Wings, but not for a newer teams like Tampa.

They could own the black/royal blue color scheme they started with.

Went to the Lightning game against the Penguins on Saturday. These uniforms looked very dull and the "silver" is just a flat grey. The contrast with the brightness on the Pens' road uniforms certainly wasn't great either. Could be a decent alternate if they add blue and something on the hem. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The North Stars are one of the few teams that just always looked good (except the 2 years prior to moving, those didn't exist shh) whether it be the original green and gold or the later on green gold and black, they both just looked damn fine. I honestly don't know which I prefer between the two.

Eh, I’m of the opinion that black ruined the North Stars’ identity. It added a bunch of pointless clutter to a clean look.

All they needed to do to “mature” the look was darken the green. Something like the Dallas Stars’ current green or the Wild’s green would have been perfect (even if the latter would be a bit Packers-ish).

Watching highlights this morning, seeing a lot of black unis.

Philly 

Arizona

Carolina

TB

just yesterday...none looks amazing to me. Numbers are a mess on a few of them, striping is either non-existent or inconsistent. I dunno. Do people like these? I think there is a way to make a memorable black sweater, but I'm not seeing it from this bunch (I'll toss in SJ here, too.)

I will say that one team that could have sported its black home unis didn't yesterday...and i must admit: the grey thirds are sorta growing on me for the Kings.

If the Kings' opponent has some reds or contrasting bright color, it makes for an appealing match-up. Anyone think they may turn the current thirds into their home sweater in the next 3 seasons?

Much rather have the Kings rock that and the Knights go gold. 

Yeah I'm not a fan of any of them. They all look like blobs with no distinguishing features. Even Arizona who have tried to respect the original and keep it interesting, still looks messy and too dark to me. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It's nice and simple and JUST obvious enough that it's a hockey stick in the negative space.

Thank god its not some contrived bastardisation (Ducks' 25th, anything Ottawa has done recently, Florida's patch etc) of some existing logo. I was fearing that it would look like something awkward ala the Johnny Canuck V head logo.

Image result for canucks 50 season

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

52 minutes ago, Bayne said:

It's nice and simple and JUST obvious enough that it's a hockey stick in the negative space.

Thank god its not some contrived bastardisation (Ducks' 25th, anything Ottawa has done recently, Florida's patch etc) of some existing logo. I was fearing that it would look like something awkward ala the Johnny Canuck V head logo.

Image result for canucks 50 season

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. The butchered stick from the modified Stick in Rink, the Agency font and worst of all, the Corporate Orca are all being kept. Typical Canucks organization.

At least the Whitecaps are heading in the right direction with their brand among Vancouver teams.

Archived