Milwaukee "Bring Back The Glove" Campaign

MilSox

Now that it would seem Padres fans were successful in their "Bring Back The Brown" campaign; might it be time for a similar fan-fronted movement for the Brewers regarding the uniforms most of their fans clearly want?

How would one even go about starting such a campaign?  I'm guessing a facebook group is a no-brainer.  But I'm more interested in the nuances that made the San Diego fans' campaign so successful.

At the very least, we can use this thread for discussions about the Brewers uniforms so as to not keep jacking other threads.  

francisco-rodriguez-jonathan-lucroy-mlb-  DexTAnvWAAAwACc.jpg 

tumblr_no5cerzXVP1r9hrxoo1_500.jpg 99576a_lg.jpeg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the marketing and retail popularity of the BiG will actually work against it coming back full-time. Now the team can sell the current gear, along with the BiG that’s used occasionally. If they go back to the BiG full time, they won’t be able to sell gear with two different logos and looks. 

With the current arrangement, they have the best of both worlds. 

19 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I think the marketing and retail popularity of the BiG will actually work against it coming back full-time. Now the team can sell the current gear, along with the BiG that’s used occasionally. If they go back to the BiG full time, they won’t be able to sell gear with two different logos and looks. 

So did the Padres, though.  They could have continued to sell both brown and navy.

The difference, though, is that I'm told Brewers fans buy a lot of everything.  They punch above their weight in terms of merchandise sales.  And it's pretty clear that the Padres' merchandise sales were not in that category.

I've always thought the ball in glove logo was a cool, fun, and quirky throwback but I don't think it's good enough to bring back full time.  I think it's time was the 80's.  A better logo can be made for the current day Brewers.

I do like the blue and yellow colors though.  This jersey in particular looks very sharp:

99576a_lg.jpeg

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

To what extent should merchandise sales really be driving these decisions? As I understand it, online retail sales are split evenly among all 30 MLB teams, so the Brewers wouldn't even really be reaping the benefits. They do get to keep the revenue generated from merchandise sold at the ballpark, but does that really even amount to that much in the end? The Brewers already rank near the bottom along with the Padres and Twins in terms of merchandise sales.

I wonder if it would be more lucrative to simply adopt a brand identity that the fans crave. If you energize the fanbase, it pays off more than just jersey sales. I know that if I were a Brewers fan, I'd make more of an effort to attend throwback games.

Just now, Marlins93 said:

To what extent should merchandise sales really be driving these decisions?1 As I understand it, online retail sales are split evenly among all 30 MLB teams, so the Brewers wouldn't even really be reaping the benefits. They do get to keep the revenue generated from merchandise sold at the ballpark, but does that really even amount to that much in the end? The Brewers already rank near the bottom along with the Padres and Twins in terms of merchandise sales.

I wonder if it would be more lucrative to simply adopt a brand identity that the fans crave. If you energize the fanbase, it pays off more than just jersey sales. I know that if I were a Brewers fan, I'd make more of an effort to attend throwback games.2

1. They shouldn't be, but we know they always do. The Pads are going back to brown and yellow because nothing else sold.

2. If you're on this board you're not a common fan. Most don't think that way.

55 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

[citation needed]

I found this, but it’s from 2017 (using 2016 data) and it’s only online sales, for what that’s worth. Milwaukee was bottom five by this measure at this time, but it does reinforce the plainly obvious point that it’s not the team identity that drives sales for small market teams; it’s team success. I’d bet this same graph using last year’s data would show Milwaukee much higher after having a great season.

Wins-vs.-Merch-Sales.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I found this, but it’s from 2017 (using 2016 data) and it’s only online sales, for what that’s worth. Milwaukee was bottom five by this measure at this time, but it does reinforce the plainly obvious point that it’s not the team identity that drives sales for small market teams; it’s team success. I’d bet this same graph using last year’s data would show Milwaukee much higher after having a great season.

Wins-vs.-Merch-Sales.jpg

That's good, thanks, but I'm particularly interested in the brick-and-mortar sales.  Those lean much more heavily towards the target market.

Archived