Milwaukee "Bring Back The Glove" Campaign

MilSox

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the naming rights for Miller Park change hands, anything is possible. I'd kinda like to see a collaborative effort of sorts, to create a new brand around the BiG. Modernize the BiG a bit, think Vikings. Then develop some fonts that kinda reflect it, and the eras associated with it. Nice clean scrips for the jerseys, and a unique block font for the names and numbers. Bring back the pinstripes for the home uni's, go to a deep greyish/blue for the roads. Make the yellow paneled hat the alternate. Yes keep navy, but lighten a touch, and keep the gold atheletic gold they have been using. Their postseason merch was spot on with everything, and it pained me that the look wasn't portrayed on the field. Add piping to the roads and it would be amazing. 

packchampionslfroh.png

Royal blue and yellow-gold is a look the Brewers can actually own. The Mariners use it only on their retro days but their primary colours are navy and teal.

I love the BiG logo, but I would be okay with it being a secondary logo on the shoulders. Bring back the royal blue and yellow-gold full-time, though.

4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Rather than going back to the ball in glove/pinstripe look, I would lean closer to a modern day version of this:

Image result for brewers hank aaron

19 minutes ago, dbofox said:

The BiG is a great logo, but I actually don't like it as a hat logo. Put the BiG on the sleeve and a nice M on the hat.

Royal and Gold (Yellow) is definitely the way to go.

These two points. Throw the BiG on the sleeves and maybe an alt hat, but the main hat should be a nice clean looking M from the pic above. Sure modernize it a bit, but don't go crazy.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

AHEM... this thread isn't about whether or not you personally like the ball-in-glove. Just like the Bring Back The Brown campaign wasn't about whether or not you liked brown.  It's clearly what a majority of Brewers fans want, even after the current look has now been around for longer than the glove was originally.

5 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Rather than going back to the ball in glove/pinstripe look, I would lean closer to a modern day version of this:

Image result for brewers hank aaron

I actually really like this look.  The bare bones template is very similar to what they have now (or did, before they got rid of the pant stripes) and they have the advantage of not featuring royal blue pinstripes like the hated Cubs.  Also, if it was good enough for the Hammer, it's good enough for anyone who plays the game.

But I still want the glove.  The problem with the Varsity M is that people see it in the Brewers colors and think "Michigan."

5 hours ago, KDubK414 said:

After the naming rights for Miller Park change hands, anything is possible. I'd kinda like to see a collaborative effort of sorts, to create a new brand around the BiG. Modernize the BiG a bit, think Vikings. Then develop some fonts that kinda reflect it, and the eras associated with it. Nice clean scrips for the jerseys, and a unique block font for the names and numbers. Bring back the pinstripes for the home uni's, go to a deep greyish/blue for the roads. Make the yellow paneled hat the alternate. Yes keep navy, but lighten a touch, and keep the gold atheletic gold they have been using. Their postseason merch was spot on with everything, and it pained me that the look wasn't portrayed on the field. Add piping to the roads and it would be amazing. 

I like navy and yellow too.  Yellow compliments the navy perfectly to avoid the "drab" problem they have with gold.  As overused as navy is, not one NL Central team uses it as its primary color; and apart from 1970 thru 1993, Milwaukee teams have always worn navy.  It would also be a way of not completely erasing the teams that made it to the NLCS in the past decade.

However, royal and yellow is also a very nice combo.  If that's what we ended up with in a redesign, I'd have no complaints.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

AHEM... this thread isn't about whether or not you personally like the ball-in-glove. Just like the Bring Back The Brown campaign wasn't about whether or not you liked brown.  It's clearly what a majority of Brewers fans want, even after the current look has now been around for longer than the glove was originally.

Bring Back the Brown was about bringing back the color, not a specific old look or logo. That could be more difficult to accomplish. Just start with trying to bring back the colors, and the ball-in-glove could make a comeback as well. Especially since they already use it.

I genuinely think the current barley M logo could stay as a hat option. It's a great logo. Recolor it, remove the dropshadow, do whatever to modernize it but you can definitely keep it around. The glove needs to come back as the primary logo though. That's one of my favorite logos of all time.

bSLCtu2.png

Unpopular, but in my opinion, while the BiG is a nice looking logo, it doesn’t fit a team called the Brewers. The beer barrel man and the current wheat themed logos fit the name much better. The BiG looks like a generic youth team that doesn’t have a mascot like “the Milwaukee Youth Baseball Club”

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Who is the constituency for navy and yellow besides design guys? Brewers fans pretty clearly just want the old stuff back.

If there ever was a chance of going back to the classic look, the Brewers fans screwed themselves here. From my anecdotal evidence seeing people around Milwaukee a few times and at the Wisconsin state fair last year, Brewers fans bought a whole bunch of the crappy navy BiG hats. I saw maybe 70% royal blue and 30% navy BiG, with literally nobody wearing the official primary hat. Fans I've spoken to have confirmed that's what you see at games. The Brewers' identity is a mess, with the possibility of wearing three different sets of colors on consecutive days. But as long as fans buy the throwbacks and the alts, they have no reason to change anything.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

4 hours ago, jn8 said:

Unpopular, but in my opinion, while the BiG is a nice looking logo, it doesn’t fit a team called the Brewers. The beer barrel man and the current wheat themed logos fit the name much better. The BiG looks like a generic youth team that doesn’t have a mascot like “the Milwaukee Youth Baseball Club”

I remember similar criticisms of the "classic" Blue Jays look back in the dreaded Black Jays days.  Saying it was too dated and too "disco" to work nowadays.  Fast forward to today, and the Blue Jays are pretty universally regarded as having one of the best uniforms in baseball.

Besides, the average fan at the games who doesn't obsess over these things the way we do... they LOVE the BiG and would probably look at you like you grew another head if you were to bring this up.  All they see is a cool clever logo that they want the team to wear more often.

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

I remember similar criticisms of the "classic" Blue Jays look back in the dreaded Black Jays days.  Saying it was too dated and too "disco" to work nowadays.  Fast forward to today, and the Blue Jays are pretty universally regarded as having one of the best uniforms in baseball.

Besides, the average fan at the games who doesn't obsess over these things the way we do... they LOVE the BiG and would probably look at you like you grew another head if you were to bring this up.  All they see is a cool clever logo that they want the team to wear more often.

But the Blue Jays logo is actually a blue jay. It’s not just a generic monogram TBJ/BJ/TJ with nothing tying it to the mascot other than an initial. I really don’t see how those two can be compared in any way. 

As for your second point, no, the average fan doesn’t get too obsessive over logo design. But on sportslogos.net, it’s kinda a big deal, and when I post something here I tend to look at it from that type of a perspective, not a casual fan’s. And from that perspective, I think the Brewers are a quick cleanup on their current set away from having a great look

1 minute ago, jn8 said:

But the Blue Jays logo is actually a blue jay. It’s not just a generic monogram TBJ/BJ/TJ with nothing tying it to the mascot other than an initial. I really don’t see how those two can be compared in any way. 

As for your second point, no, the average fan doesn’t get too obsessive over logo design. But on sportslogos.net, it’s kinda a big deal, and when I post something here I tend to look at it from that type of a perspective, not a casual fan’s. And from that perspective, I think the Brewers are a quick cleanup on their current set away from having a great look

Literally the entire point of this thread is how to get those casual fans behind a movement to get the team to rebrand around the ball-in-glove.

Even then, the glove is just a very elaborate monogram.  Most monograms don't have an explicit reference to the team's nickname.  The Brewers already have this guy for that.

6188.png

16 hours ago, KDubK414 said:

I'd kinda like to see a collaborative effort of sorts, to create a new brand around the BiG. Modernize the BiG a bit, think Vikings.

No. 

No, no, no.  

I’m with you on the rest, but not this.  The logo doesn’t need “modernizing”.  The design is elegant and perfectly-balanced now.  Use it or don’t, but let’s not make changes for changes’ sake. 

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No. 

No, no, no.  

I’m with you on the rest, but not this.  The logo doesn’t need “modernizing”.  The design is elegant and perfectly-balanced now.  Use it or don’t, but let’s not make changes for changes’ sake. 

I was just thinking for the caps with the materials they use now. The actual logo is sacred and shall not be changed in any way. 

packchampionslfroh.png

15 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Literally the entire point of this thread is how to get those casual fans behind a movement to get the team to rebrand around the ball-in-glove.

Even then, the glove is just a very elaborate monogram.  Most monograms don't have an explicit reference to the team's nickname.  The Brewers already have this guy for that.

6188.png

And hey, maybe after eighty years we can finally get him on a sleeve patch. 

Archived