Possible workaround for the 'One Helmet Rule'

Krona

Shrapnel seems to be a big concern of mine. I sense a lot of these helmet shells can't stand up to true head to head contact. They tested them with bats and metal chains lol. 

Also texture of the skinz. Will it replicate the sliding effect current helmets have?

The top is of the biggest concern. A lot of teams don't have a stripe. In the video, the shell doesn't meet exactly in the middle. Instead a sticker backed stripe holds it in place?

What if some teams paint their own skinz with heavier paint than others? What if some teams put a thin foam padding between the layers? What if one team adds a metal layer to give their teams helmets more of a weapon approach? 

Cool idea but it sounds like a nightmare to enforce. 

I think its an awesome idea. If these can be policed where they are enforced to be stuck to the helmet shell, and they have the same performance, and don't cause shrapnel or anything to break off, its a great fix. I think it really is a wonderful idea and i could absolutely see it implemented at the smaller levels. I think the NFL won't accept it ever, but hey, theyre the No Fun League anyways

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 1/30/2019 at 2:07 PM, MattMill said:

Shrapnel seems to be a big concern of mine. I sense a lot of these helmet shells can't stand up to true head to head contact. They tested them with bats and metal chains lol. 

Also texture of the skinz. Will it replicate the sliding effect current helmets have?

The top is of the biggest concern. A lot of teams don't have a stripe. In the video, the shell doesn't meet exactly in the middle. Instead a sticker backed stripe holds it in place?

What if some teams paint their own skinz with heavier paint than others? What if some teams put a thin foam padding between the layers? What if one team adds a metal layer to give their teams helmets more of a weapon approach? 

What if some teams put a thin foam padding between the layers?

Willie Lanier had a "bumper guard" – vulcanized rubber down the middle of his helmet.

Unpopular opinion: I like the one-helmet rule.  Sure, it costs us a few throwbacks we'd like (Bucco Bruce, for example) but I think more bad than good can come from more freedom to have multiple helmets. There are college teams that mess with their helmets enough that they don't really have an identifiable helmet.  I don't think we really need the jets wearing navy blue titans helmets once or twice per year.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Unpopular opinion: I like the one-helmet rule.  Sure, it costs us a few throwbacks we'd like (Bucco Bruce, for example) but I think more bad than good can come from more freedom to have multiple helmets. There are college teams that mess with their helmets enough that they don't really have an identifiable helmet.  I don't think we really need the jets wearing navy blue titans helmets once or twice per year.

But the rules before 2013 stated that Alternate Helmets could only be allowed for Throwback sets, so it wouldn’t be THAT big of a deal...

da0Lbhs.png

2 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

But the rules before 2013 stated that Alternate Helmets could only be allowed for Throwback sets, so it wouldn’t be THAT big of a deal...

I know the NFL was keeping it in check better than college, and I think the NFL recognized that the primary helmet is an important part of a team's brand.  So while I fear they'd let it get out of control, I think it would be reasonable to hope that it would not.  With only 16 games per year, though, I'd like a different helmet to be less than once-per-year.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

On 2/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, OnWis97 said:

I know the NFL was keeping it in check better than college, and I think the NFL recognized that the primary helmet is an important part of a team's brand.  So while I fear they'd let it get out of control, I think it would be reasonable to hope that it would not.  With only 16 games per year, though, I'd like a different helmet to be less than once-per-year.  

The NFL used to ban alternate helmets across the board because they didn't want teams to dilute their brands.  Throwbacks only.  Remember, the Seahawks wanted home and road helmets back in 2002.

836319337_3afd8d6cf6.jpg

Still, I don't want to hear about any "workarounds" unless and until the NFL addresses the serious underlying issues that have made the one-helmet rule seem to them like the best option.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The NFL used to ban alternate helmets across the board because they didn't want teams to dilute their brands.  Throwbacks only.  Remember, the Seahawks wanted home and road helmets back in 2002.

Still, I don't want to hear about any "workarounds" unless and until the NFL addresses the serious underlying issues that have made the one-helmet rule seem to them like the best option.

Well, I don't know if anyone really believes that one helmet is a significant benefit to the issue of long-term quality of life...but I tend to agree.  If it is "safety" then stick with it all the way...for PR if nothing else.

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Well, I don't know if anyone really believes that one helmet is a significant benefit to the issue of long-term quality of life

I do think that the league is right in not wanting to force players out of certain helmet designs.

What galls me is that they're willing to take that halfway step but refuse to institute any meaningful rules changes like eliminating the 3-point stance.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:07 PM, MattMill said:

The "stripeless" teams will use a shell-colored stripe to hold the two halves in place.. I think it could be a very viable product.. paint isn't an issue, as they're available in over 100 colors.. I really don't see the "shrapnel" issue actually being an issue I'd have to see them in action, but as an equipment guy myself, I know I'll be looking into them for our team

Edit: found a photo of a stripeless version

f34b5e_f85b27c8b5cb4d54a17ecbd08cd9f1e5~

At the end of the day, if the helmet manufacturers won't allow it's use it doesn't matter. I think it would take something exceptional to cause an injury with this but sometimes that's enough to keep them from going forward.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived