College Baseball Uniforms - 2019

cajunaggie08

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kabbey520 said:

Oh that's not new, the softball team has had that script on the jerseys probably since the 80's.

Yeah. Definitely Windows 3.1-era.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That's one thing that is interesting about college versus professional branding. Professionally, the only worry is the application in that particular sport. In college, your brand could have to cross over as many as 36 sports (Ohio State and Stanford). Given the popularity of scripts in Major League Baseball, it's no surprise to see so many college take that approach with their own baseball and softball programs.

12 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I think baseball has a case of SFSS: Script For Script's Sake.   Not all teams need to have it, but so many of them do.

When your primary alternatives are:

-chest logo

Or

-arched block

then it's a nice way to go with a straight across (or at least straight and slanted) wordmark.. simply "fancy-ing" the word up a bit by using a cursive font and/or tail can go a long way in adding a bit of flair to an otherwise pretty boring set of options..

Plus, the script fonts often have a bit of character that differentiates one from another.. Dodgers, Braves, Athletics, Orioles, Phillies, Brewers - all very different character in their scripts..

On 2/5/2019 at 8:48 PM, BVZ said:

Good post and an interesting thought. Could be it’s own thread. I considered the Texas script to be “throwback style” not because it looked traditional to me in and of itself, but because it looks very similar (sans the tail) as the Clemens era uniforms from the 80’s. Agreed that it lacks a certain human element, but I’m a sucker for scripts in baseball regardless. Big fan of the Aggies new uniforms as well.

Reminds me of this San Antonio script I'd created for a Spurs concept about 10 years ago...basically, my first try sparked a pretty civil argument over whether the script should retain its, looking back on it, raw and sloppy appearance or get polished up (I eventually cleaned it up, btw).

The sweet spot for a good script can be tricky.  Too much polish, and you get something lifeless like the Phillies' script.  Too rough, you get something akin to the '54 Orioles.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Are there any baseball uniforms that have different colors from other sports or do they all follow the standard school athletic colors?

Unless there's a throwback most baseball and softball team colors will match those of the rest of the school. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There are a handful of schools that don’t have athletic department-wide manufacturer deals, either, which mean they use different manufactures across different sports. For example, Baylor *was* one of those schools until 2014-15 (football/Nike, basketball/adidas).

Mississippi State debuted their 1950s-style white "State" uniforms on Saturday, as well as their updated maroon primary jerseys on Friday:

https://www.hailstateunis.com/2019-baseball/mississippi-state-opens-completed-dudy-noble-with-sweep-of-youngstown-state

You can add Vanderbilt to the list of Nike schools moving to the diamond swoosh; they wore updated versions of their gold, black pinstripe, and black jerseys this weekend, and also unveiled white and cream uniforms for 2019:

Archived