Mid-season Uniform/Logo Changes

poser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of those categories where I think it happened way more that it probably did. I have a few teams on the tip of my tongue...but just can't remember.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You guys might remember the Hamilton Tiger-Cats changing their uniforms in 1997 as of Labour Day Weekend.  New permanent home and road jerseys and single helmet stripe.

Before Labour Day:

PaulOsbaldiston_1024x1024.jpg?v=14486520

The new jerseys with the large logo on the shoulders starting Labour Day Weekend.

164069-10588643Fr.jpg

8 hours ago, insert name said:

The Wizards changed their logo halfway through the season a few years back. 

When did this happen and where are your sources? I don't remember any midseason changes in the NBA recently.

Only time I remember a team doing something like this in the last 30 or so years was when the Pacers switched to a new logo just before the 1990 playoffs, although they kept the uniforms until the following season.

9 hours ago, poser said:

In 2016 the Yankees went from glossy to matte batting helmets on the road. 

In a similar situation, in '94, the Yankees switched from polyester to cotton uniforms with disastrous results.

c9a511f2fac0e7540510134003b1d337.jpg

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

10 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Pittsburgh Pirates moved into Three Rivers Stadium mid-way through the 1970 season, and changed their uniforms to mark the occasion.

Here is Roberto Clemente in the new uniform, standing next to a wax statue of himself clad in the old uniform.

Cv4ezwRVYAAGwyT.jpg

Can't forget another Pittsburgh team.  The Penguins doing the change from double blue to black and yellow during 1979-80.

Penguins11.png

3 hours ago, Discogod said:

When did this happen and where are your sources? I don't remember any midseason changes in the NBA recently.

Only time I remember a team doing something like this in the last 30 or so years was when the Pacers switched to a new logo just before the 1990 playoffs, although they kept the uniforms until the following season.

It happened near the end of the 2014-15 season. They just suddenly had enough of the old Wizard.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/04/15/washington-wizards-unveil-new-primary-logo/

XM4KeeA.png

8 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Happened a couple of times in the WHA.  Usually due to teams relocating mid-season because of finances.

1973-74 New York Golden Blades / Jersey Knights:

GoldenBladesKnights.png

1974-75 Michigan Stags / Baltimore Blades:

StagsBlades.png

It was always bizzarre to me that WHA teams who had to move in midseason because of financial problems would then take on the cost of a full-on rebrand; rather than play out the rest of the season as, say, the New Jersey Golden Blades or the Maryland Stags.

8 hours ago, Wade Heidt said:

Can't forget another Pittsburgh team.  The Penguins doing the change from double blue to black and yellow during 1979-80.

Penguins11.png

You know, if the Penguins played anywhere else in the US or Canada, double blue would be perfect for them (with black/yellow-gold as a close second).

Cowboys debuted a new navy road uniform in 1981 that featured thick silver numbers outlined in white. It proved too hard to see, so the team changed the numbers, giving the numbers a thin blue separation between the silver number and the white. They changed the navy jerseys after the season began. 1981_Dallas.png?6181

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The White Sox ended the 1990 season wearing their new black and silver 1991 unis. Interestingly, the late-season black White Sox hats had no batterman in 1990...the batterman was put on all MLB hats for the 1991 season (IIRC).

Pretty sure it was 1992.  That was the year the Phillies started wearing their current uniforms, but they were only debuted on opening day, creating a weird situation where their maroon caps were worn only during ST, and had the then-new batterman logo on the back.  I remember wondering what that was when I saw a retail cap.  I'd imagine a vintage maroon phillies cap with batterman would be one of the more rare caps out there.

EDIT: actually, the Phillies might technically qualify for this list, as they changed logo/uniform only on opening day (though the logo was announced months before.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most drastic example in my memory was in 2007, when LA Galaxy rebranded mid year to coincide with David Beckham’s arrival. 

At first they retained the previous year’s uniforms, though they shoehorned the new Herbalife sponsor in very awkwardly, and also flipped colors so white became the primary and gold/green became the change kit. 

galaxy-midfielder-landon-donovan-during-

Then David Beckham arrived mid season and they switched to white primaries with yellow and navy trim.

david-beckham-first-la-galaxy-game-15.jp

The logo changed at this time, as well. And this is the brand LA has kept to this day.

la_galaxy_logo.gif

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Pretty sure it was 1992.  That was the year the Phillies started wearing their current uniforms, but they were only debuted on opening day, creating a weird situation where their maroon caps were worn only during ST, and had the then-new batterman logo on the back.  I remember wondering what that was when I saw a retail cap.  I'd imagine a vintage maroon phillies cap with batterman would be one of the more rare caps out there.

EDIT: actually, the Phillies might technically qualify for this list, as they changed logo/uniform only on opening day (though the logo was announced months before.)

This video says April 1991...which would make sense as the Phillies are in the maroon and white. The Giants have a batterman on the hat, but the Phillies do not. (RIP Harry K)

April 1991 SF at PHI

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

This video says April 1991...which would make sense as the Phillies are in the maroon and white. The Giants have a batterman on the hat, but the Phillies do not. (RIP Harry K)

April 1991 SF at PHI

So I guess it just wasn't league-wide until 1992 - I don't even recall seeing it anywhere in 1991 - and I usually remember little things like that - but the video proves me incorrect on that.  Either way, a maroon Phillies cap with batterman would be a rare find.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived