Mid-season Uniform/Logo Changes

poser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bmac said:

Nebraska football switched from gray facemasks to red for the 1982 Orange Bowl. They've been red ever since.

The face mask example just refreshed my memory.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders wore white helmets on the road from 2012 to 2015.  During the 2013 season, they made the permanent switch from green masks to white masks on the white helmet.  

Will cite photos of Geroy Simon with the Riders, as 2013 was his only season wearing the green and white on the field.

9006361.jpg?size=sw620x65

rod-davis-of-the-calgary-stampeders-stop

This is a unique one happening this year in the Quebec-based lower level minor pro Ligue Nord-Americaine de Hockey (LNAH).  Involves 3 uniform changes this season.

The Berlin BlackJacks started their first season as the first ever US-based team in LNAH.  Wearing black and yellow:

imagethumbhaut50.jpg

It was a financial nightmare for the team that probably should not have started.  The league took over the team 10 games into the season in early November.  While the league figured out what to do, the team barnstormed into early December as Petrole & Propane Belanger.  Basically named after a Quebec company that must have been providing financial backing.  Company logo and colours.  Wore black uniforms trimmed with red:

2a1c3e22517d4421a685b419a9ac367e_p_vi_77

In early December, the team found a new home in Saint-Jerome.  Became the Petroliers Du Nord (Northern Oilers).  With this came another new uniform, third this season.  The Northern Oilers wear red with black trim:

e59fe412eeb83390d6aafa8845af950c_p_vi_80

On 2/2/2019 at 5:01 AM, Timaa said:

In a similar situation, in '94, the Yankees switched from polyester to cotton uniforms with disastrous results.

c9a511f2fac0e7540510134003b1d337.jpg

If you recall, the switch went well at first.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not a perfect example because it's a change from preseason to regular season, but the 1992-93 Phoenix Suns wore their older "Western font" jerseys in the preseason, then switched to the "Flaming Basketball" jerseys for the regular season.

Here's Charles Barkley wearing the older jerseys during the preseason.

barkley_index_400x260.jpg

...and a clip of Barkley dunking on the Pistons, also during the preseason, notable because they're wearing the older jerseys, but the floor has the newer logos.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The Los Angeles Angels became the California Angels on September 2, 1965, shortly before the end of the 1965 season.  The change came in honor of the team's impending move to Anaheim Stadium for the 1966 season.  I don't know if they changed their logo at the same time, or if they used the LA cap logo for the rest of the '65 season.

4ErRc1G.jpg

In 1990, the Jerry Glanville Falcons changed to the black/black/silver home set, and they began the season with red numbers on the white jerseys.  In Week 7 or 8, they changed to black numbers on white jerseys.  

I also have a vague recollection of the Steelers starting a season (1998?) in their recently Nike-fied sets wearing black nameplates on their white jerseys, but switching to the time-honored gold nameplates on the white jerseys late in the season.  But I may be wrong on that one.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Not a perfect example because it's a change from preseason to regular season, but the 1992-93 Phoenix Suns wore their older "Western font" jerseys in the preseason, then switched to the "Flaming Basketball" jerseys for the regular season.

Here's Charles Barkley wearing the older jerseys during the preseason.

barkley_index_400x260.jpg

...and a clip of Barkley dunking on the Pistons, also during the preseason, notable because they're wearing the older jerseys, but the floor has the newer logos.

Yeah, that was pretty standard in the 90s/2000s - teams with new unis would usually wear the previous season's duds in preseason, waiting for regular season to start before busting out the new threads.

13 hours ago, MG3 said:

In 1990, the Jerry Glanville Falcons changed to the black/black/silver home set, and they began the season with red numbers on the white jerseys.  In Week 7 or 8, they changed to black numbers on white jerseys.  

I also have a vague recollection of the Steelers starting a season (1998?) in their recently Nike-fied sets wearing black nameplates on their white jerseys, but switching to the time-honored gold nameplates on the white jerseys late in the season.  But I may be wrong on that one.

1990_Atlanta.png

It looks like the Steelers switched between seasons.

1997_Pittsburgh.png1998_Pittsburgh.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

24 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Besides going from a black to yellow name on back, what changed with the steelers uniforms? The fonts look the same

I think that's it.  1997 was the first year with the italicized numbers.  The NOB color then changed for 1998.

30 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Besides going from a black to yellow name on back, what changed with the steelers uniforms? The fonts look the same

The NOB fonts were slightly different in 1997 preseason (and Aug 31) vs. 1997 regular season. Then, as noted above, they used gold letters outlined in black in 1998.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, cajunaggie08 said:

They switched from standard block nameplate lettering to the Futura nameplate lettering they currently use.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived