MLB | Colorado Rockies Brand Refresh

Go Red Sox!

Since the most boring Super Bowl ever is behind us, l personally look forward to another great MLB season which is just around the corner.

I'm one of millions of baseball fans who think that the Colorado Rockies could use at least a refresh, a modernization of their current look. In 2017, the organization has degraded their primary logo to alternate status in order to replace it with this very boring "CR" interlocked initial; unfortunately a trend that many teams in recent years have followed.

I actually always liked their former primary mark a lot – thematically – but I absolutely disliked its execution. The simple design makes a lot of sense: the Rocky Mountains in the back while another baseball is leaving the yard – very fitting since the Rockies have had one of the most dangerous offenses in the past years. The wrongest part of their current logo is the font choice. Bembo might look great on other occasions but in this regard it is definitely a blooper. Or does the team play their home games in Aspen?

I revised the mountain and the baseball, added an appropriate angular custom typeface and created another third logo, an alternate mark, based on Colorado's state flag. Completely gone is the "CR" initial logo since I can't stand these initials anymore (btw: such an interlocked "CR" never looks good, no matter how you arrange these letters). The revised partial/secondary mountain logo would become the team's helmet and cap logo – at least in most cases.

Colorado-Rockies-logo-presentation.png

Colorado-Rockies-primary-logo-comparison

Colorado-Rockies-primary-logo.png

Colorado-Rockies-secondary-logo.png

Colorado-Rockies-alternate-logo.png

Colorado-Rockies-wordmark-logo.png

NL-teams.png

Uniforms will follow in the next couple of days.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I like it! I think it looks really clean and modern without losing the current logo feel. I like their current set, but I think you've got a great modernization here. Abandoning the CR logo for the C mountain is a great move too. Can't wait to see uniforms!

spacer.png

Big improvement on what they have now.

The wordmark is miles above (*rimshot*) that illegible outlined skinny serif font.

I'd love to see that mountain partial logo go on the cap!

Well done. Never thought of it before but the CR logo is kind of dumb and no one really uses the C from the state flag currently I don't think so good call. The current logo with its font looks like a strip mall sign or an homeowner's association. I think the new font you chose though is kinda default. Nice name btw!

Patriots-Logo.png

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work here!

Looking forward to the uniforms. Here's hoping you emphasize purple over black. 

There will definitely be more purple than ever before.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I think this is a great start, although not quite sure about the new font. I love the alternate logo you created in large part because the Colorado state flag is gorgeous. It's one of the most fashion friendly out there. But as others have pointed out, I wonder if it could be problematic that it resembles the Avalanche and Cubs logos. I could see some variation of that logo working on a cap, but it might be ridiculed as a Cubs rip off.

Love every part of this.  The Rockies are due for a refresh.  I like the interlocking CR for a cap logo they currently have, but if there was a version that worked with this set, it would be perfect.

mainescarf.png

I'm not particularly bullish on it. The font isn't all that much of an improvement over what they have now (it looks rather generic), the black feels a little unnecessary to the design (I kind of wish you'd drop it completely), and the "C" has a bit too much overlap with the Cubs' insignia. Maybe a slab-serif font and adding a slab serif to the "C" (evoking the Colorado flag without completely emulating it) would be a good direction. I'd also recommend using grey or light blue as a secondary instead of black.

You've got a good start with the mountain/ball design, but I think it needs some significant revisions.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, appleclock said:

The Colorado Avalanche kind of own the rounded C from the flag these days (it’s their alternate logo) but I like the mountain inside of it. That’s a solid look.

No they dont, Rockies been using the C in there spring training hats

ff_3279933-f3a4e46f3f22e009c1cfalt2_full

hvmY186.png

Unpopular opinion, maybe.  But I like that the Rockies use a "CR" and I don't care for how many concepts I see that want to get rid of it altogether.  As much as they need a refresh, I'd rather they get a better CR than be yet another team that just uses a C.

Archived