Hull City updates crest

UnclearInitial

The tiger was in dire need of an update, so it’s a massive upgrade,  although I’m not sure about the darker amber used for the tiger instead of letting it be created by the negative space.  Still think the tiger looks dopey and they should go in a different direction with it, but if that’s what fans wanted... Interested in what @Jaffa has to say

Here’s what’s it replacing which in turn replaced the previous one just a couple of years ago when the owner was trying to change the name of the club to Hull TigersDyo2OANXgAEv9eO?format=jpg&name=smallDyo2RsmWoAACCiG?format=jpg&name=small

07Giants.pngnyy.png

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Interested in what @Jaffa has to say...

Well...

The first thing to point out is that this crest is the result of a supporters survey, fans could pick a preferred tiger head, shield shape, lettering and so forth. The preferred choices would then be combined into the new crest. Obviously, that's not really an ideal way to go about designing a crest.

So what do I reckon to the result? Two main issues for me - first, the tiger. I know the old version isn't that popular outside of East Yorkshire, but whilst it's not perfect it does have a resonance amongst supporters. It's been redrawn, but I think the new version looks less like an actual tiger than the original - the swirling stripes don't resemble those of the real-life creature, as @Gothamite opines it more resembles a jaguar. I don't really see the point of replacing the older head with an almost identical but vastly inferior version. Odd.

The second issue relates to how the name is handled - the radially arched letters don't echo the shape of the shield and to me this difference looks really jarring. Had the sides of the shield been straight rather than curved and the club name been vertically arched, I think that would have been a massive improvement.

It's frustrating because it's close, but for me it's not quite there.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That tiger looks less like a tiger now, with the changed stripe pattern.  I mean seriously, what was the point of that?  Looks more like a jaguar.

Crest-Reveal-Social-Website_Website-Main-1140x700px.jpg

But the supporters had their hand in this update - if they're good with it, far be it from me to disagree.

The eyes are creepy... Agree with you, it doesn't look like a tiger. It's doesn't even look like a cat, in general. The mouth is jacked along with the eyes.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Archived