FightingGoldenDevil

United States Football Association: 1925 season and Championship game

Looking forward to the remaining 4 teams (also, shouldn't Chicago have a round C like the cubs instead of the wishbone C like the Reds) I'm guessing that Detroit and Milwaukee grab the final 2 spots.

2 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

Looking forward to the remaining 4 teams (also, shouldn't Chicago have a round C like the cubs instead of the wishbone C like the Reds) I'm guessing that Detroit and Milwaukee grab the final 2 spots.

Cubs had a wishbone c in 1920

Playing for the metropolis of New York City are the Dukes. Owned by Henry "Duke" van der Kleij (pronounced clay), decendant of the original Dutch traders in the New Amsterdam colony, they were able to invest wisely and keep the wealth in the family. Henry played football at Colombia and was enamored by the game so he invested some of the last of the family wealth into creating the team and get a lease to play at Polo Grounds.N7UMCff.png The colors come from the Dutch settlers that Henry decended from. The nickname comes from the both Duke of York that the city is named after and the nickname Henry picked up as a star player in college.

jXVgwx1.png

Playing in Shibe Park are the Philadelphia Keystones. Owned by Ben Shibe of the Athletics. The 'Stones have become a sort of side attraction to keep Shibe Park full when baseball isn't being played, meaning there isn't a lot of talent on the team. sDMv5pS.png

The logo is a simple P over a keystone in the colors of the Philadelphia flag.1JlAl3a.pngThe yellow jersey was chosen so that no matter what weather was, fans could always see the 'Stones fighting for Philly.

Presenting the Detroit Indians. Owned by John Hunt, an executive at Dodge. The Indians play at Navin Field, home of the Tigers. After a large bidding war with the Buckeyes, Hunt was able to convince Michigan superstar running back Frank Fortier to play in his home state. UQzQGyp.png

The blue stands for the waters on the Detroit River, and the red stands for... you know BZFIDHW.png

The mismatched socks were chosen because Hunts youngest son thought it looked "snazzy"

The final team will be next. I'll let you guys guess what city you think it'll be 

These all look great so far, I'm gonna guess the last team is either Boston or Pittsburgh, probably Boston.

Go Maroons!

I'm hoping for Boston, but I wouldn't be surprise if it's in Pittsburgh, Buffalo or Washington.

Washington, DC?

The closest was @TargetToad in guessing it's a small town team. 

The final inaugural team of the USFA is the Toledo Tigers. Owned and operated by the Toledo sporting club, only locals can play for the team. Playing on Swayne Field, the team is lead by legendary head coach Harold Forsythe who helped pioneer the idea of professional football.

GPbsPVw.pngemkT5Ty.png

The 1920 inaugural season will be simulated soon.

That makes a pretty solid east-west format (if you want that)

East

New York Dukes

Philadelphia Keystones

Cleveland Buckeyes

Toledo Tigers

West

Chicago Italians

Minneapolis Maroons

Indianapolis Speeders

Detroit Indians

I know Detroit is more east than Toledo, but I didn't want to separate the Ohio teams.

1920 final standings

Cleveland Buckeyes (6-0-1)

New York Dukes (5-0-2)

Toledo Tigers (5-1-1)

Indianapolis Speeders (4-2-1)

Detroit Indians (3-4-0)

Minneapolis Maroons (2-4-1) 

Chicago Italians (1-6-0)

Philadelphia Keystones (0-7-0)

There are no playoffs yet (NFL didn't have them until the 30s, I'll have them sooner) so all the teams get one vote for who gets the championship. 

The final vote was 6 for Cleveland, 2 for New York

Congratulations to the Cleveland Buckeyes on the 1920 Association championship!

Stories from the association and awards will be out soon

HEADLINES FROM THE 1920 SEASON

"Big Money" Buckeyes outspend the league to a championship: Steel magnate John H. Ward, owner of the Cleveland Buckeyes Football Club, used his vast wealth and connections to outspend the other associated teams by a country mile. Scouting and signing players as far west as Nebraska! This massive pool of money and talent allowed Cleveland to go undefeated (one tie with NY) and earned them the nickname Big Money Buckeyes. 

New York earns two votes for the championship: Despite having one less win than Cleveland, New York recieved two votes during the champion selection. Owner and head coach of the Dukes, Henry van der Kleij wasn't surprised. "We played them once to a draw, if we played them again we would win handily.  It's easy to have the record they had when you have money to waste." The Duke remarked. Unfortunately the votes are cast by head coaches on a secret ballot so we don't know what two teams voted for New York.

Coach Forsythe still has it!: Despite the Toledo Tigers having one of the least talented rosters in the association, they were able to have the third best record in the league. The coaching prowess of Harold Forsythe truly transcends talent.

'Stones go winless: The Philadelphia Keystones put up a season to forget in their first year. The most points they put up in a game was 10 against the marginally better Italian Football Club. One player anonymously said "If Shibe wasn't paying us this much, we wouldn't be embarrassing ourselves out there. I guess we're willing to trade dignity for cash." Truly a slideshow in Shibe's sporting empire in Philly

MVP: running back Frank Fortier, DET

7TDs

Coach of the year: Harold Forsythe

Defensive player of the year: Francis Strong MLB

You ever though about doing sort of a final season standings graphic to put out? Never been a big fan of people just typing out results