Islanders' Fishstick Prototype vs Production Differences

I've watched maybe 3 hockey games in my life. But that Gorton's jersey is a winner. 

11 out of 10 if he was catching that Starkist tuna guy. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I've said it before and I'll say it again: take the toothpaste stripe off of the logo (thus making the bottom straight) change the colors to proper Islanders colors (it works best with the navy blue and orange, IMHO, but the royal blue works too) and put it on a proper jersey, and you have a look that is perfectly acceptable for an Islanders alternate.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

16 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: take the toothpaste stripe off of the logo (thus making the bottom straight) change the colors to proper Islanders colors (it works best with the navy blue and orange, IMHO, but the royal blue works too) and put it on a proper jersey, and you have a look that is perfectly acceptable for an Islanders alternate.

iZ2GlQl.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

It looks... like what I would imagine an Islanders affiliate would look like in the 1990s.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 2/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, Buc said:

Still to this day the single most ambitious major pro sports jersey design I've ever seen. Maybe the most ambitious I'll ever see.

Yea, it’s high on the list. I love that it’s such a different way of thinking about a hockey jersey which are so often built from hard edged, geometric shapes. Not only is this design going against that status quo, but it’s a disruption of the whole space, Like a wave overtaking the entire jersey. Not enough to simply bend the stripes, they’re acting as a churning ocean, And of course, it’s not just about doing it for the sake of the aesthetic, that striping idea is driven by a relevant concept. It doesn’t work if it doesn’t tie into the team name or location. It’s certainly a jersey that demands you have an opinion about; this is not one people can possibly be passive on. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

13 hours ago, Survival79 said:

iZ2GlQl.png

Here's what I did for the Islanders for my Nike NHL project (which isn't dead yet, BTW!) which also uses the Fisherman as the shoulder patch on the primaries.

wVKFl5h.png

be3kKMY.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Yea, it’s high on the list. I love that it’s such a different way of thinking about a hockey jersey which are so often built from hard edged, geometric shapes. Not only is this design going against that status quo, but it’s a disruption of the whole space, Like a wave overtaking the entire jersey. Not enough to simply bend the stripes, they’re acting as a churning ocean, And of course, it’s not just about doing it for the sake of the aesthetic, that striping idea is driven by a relevant concept. It doesn’t work if it doesn’t tie into the team name or location. It’s certainly a jersey that demands you have an opinion about; this is not one people can possibly be passive on. 

Talking about how much you get high, how much weed you smoke
And that crazy space :censored: that don't even make no sense

On 2/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, kimball said:

I can agree with that. I think what I don't like the most about the fishsticks logo is that he's just there. There's no action or purpose other than he's just there.

He's goaltending.

I disagree that everyone would have been fine with the wave sweaters as long as they had the lighthouse as the crest. The mockery wouldn't have been as overwhelming, but the fanbase would have rejected it and they would have wound up back where they started, just not as soon.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2019 at 5:49 PM, Buc said:

Still to this day the single most ambitious major pro sports jersey design I've ever seen. Maybe the most ambitious I'll ever see.

Hockey for some reason really seemed to press into the "warp to fit" number thing back in the day. The other example that comes to my mind is the Brett Hull/Wayne Gretzky St. Louis Blues (then again, the '90s was definitely a unique and ambitious period in sports design, so there's that.) That Gorton's fisherman jersey set still thanks among my favorite of all time--simply for how unique it was (though all that waving certainly wouldn't have lasted past three seasons even if the Isles had kept the look).

Just stumbled on this old thread.

There's good reason why those two example stick out, because the N&N fonts were created/designed by CustomCraft. Only he had the fonts and was the customizer for the teams.

Job security.  At least until they ditched the designs.

Archived