Bob5151

Islanders' Fishstick Prototype vs Production Differences

I've watched maybe 3 hockey games in my life. But that Gorton's jersey is a winner. 

11 out of 10 if he was catching that Starkist tuna guy. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: take the toothpaste stripe off of the logo (thus making the bottom straight) change the colors to proper Islanders colors (it works best with the navy blue and orange, IMHO, but the royal blue works too) and put it on a proper jersey, and you have a look that is perfectly acceptable for an Islanders alternate.

16 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: take the toothpaste stripe off of the logo (thus making the bottom straight) change the colors to proper Islanders colors (it works best with the navy blue and orange, IMHO, but the royal blue works too) and put it on a proper jersey, and you have a look that is perfectly acceptable for an Islanders alternate.

iZ2GlQl.png

Except that really doesn't differential it enough from the standard set. Invert the colors to use orange as a base color and then you can deem it a true alternate.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, Buc said:

Still to this day the single most ambitious major pro sports jersey design I've ever seen. Maybe the most ambitious I'll ever see.

Yea, it’s high on the list. I love that it’s such a different way of thinking about a hockey jersey which are so often built from hard edged, geometric shapes. Not only is this design going against that status quo, but it’s a disruption of the whole space, Like a wave overtaking the entire jersey. Not enough to simply bend the stripes, they’re acting as a churning ocean, And of course, it’s not just about doing it for the sake of the aesthetic, that striping idea is driven by a relevant concept. It doesn’t work if it doesn’t tie into the team name or location. It’s certainly a jersey that demands you have an opinion about; this is not one people can possibly be passive on. 

13 hours ago, Survival79 said:

iZ2GlQl.png

Here's what I did for the Islanders for my Nike NHL project (which isn't dead yet, BTW!) which also uses the Fisherman as the shoulder patch on the primaries.

wVKFl5h.png

be3kKMY.png

14 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Yea, it’s high on the list. I love that it’s such a different way of thinking about a hockey jersey which are so often built from hard edged, geometric shapes. Not only is this design going against that status quo, but it’s a disruption of the whole space, Like a wave overtaking the entire jersey. Not enough to simply bend the stripes, they’re acting as a churning ocean, And of course, it’s not just about doing it for the sake of the aesthetic, that striping idea is driven by a relevant concept. It doesn’t work if it doesn’t tie into the team name or location. It’s certainly a jersey that demands you have an opinion about; this is not one people can possibly be passive on. 

Talking about how much you get high, how much weed you smoke
And that crazy space :censored: that don't even make no sense

2 hours ago, joekono said:

In 2019, the Islanders home and road uniforms are their identity . Period!

Hot take

On 2/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, kimball said:

I can agree with that. I think what I don't like the most about the fishsticks logo is that he's just there. There's no action or purpose other than he's just there.

He's goaltending.

I disagree that everyone would have been fine with the wave sweaters as long as they had the lighthouse as the crest. The mockery wouldn't have been as overwhelming, but the fanbase would have rejected it and they would have wound up back where they started, just not as soon.