A New Era: New York Knicks Brand Refresh

mattr1198

Hello all,

I had done a brand refresh for the Knicks a while back, prior to the release of the Nike uniforms, but seeing as the Knicks are now in position come next year to be competitive once again (not gonna jinx anything), I decided to give the Knicks an extensive refresh to the team's brand.

Colors: The new blue and orange are more reminiscent of the the shade in the teams past, becoming deeper and more pronounced. Silver is removed entirely in the color scheme.

Primary Logo: A blend of both the Knicks' 70s logo and the logo from the Present (New York removed). The font is an updated version of the one they currently use.

Secondary Logo: Simply a recolor of their current secondary with the silver outlining removed.

Uniforms: The chest text on the jersey reverts to the old style the team had used since the 60s and are well known for. The silver outlining is removed entirely leaving only the white/blue and orange on the sleeves. The shorts receive a new side and waist pattern reminiscent of the 70s and 90s uniforms but reworked in color so it matches up with the pattern on the bottom of the shorts. The new primary is also added to the short where the old one was.

I welcome any CC and general comments and I hope y'all like it!

E4m0Xeu.gif

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

I miss the NYK subway token.   A lot of people didn't realize what it was, but it was actually a really unique logo and it was so well executed and tied into the history of the NY subways.

I don't get the point of the new Knicks in a ball logo. I know they had something like it in the 70s, but i still don't get the point?  Instead of knicks on top of the ball you have knicks inside the ball?   If you're going to have an alternate there should be a reason.   And none of it says or implies New York anywhere.  That could easily be a purple ball and say Lakers and it would make no difference.

813.gif

Vintage_NYC_Subway_Token_Gold_Long_Neckl

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Updated: I cleaned up the primary logo and made it look more refined. In addition, I proposed two variants of the old NYC token alternate the team used in the 1990s-early 2010s, simplified and easy to transfer.

I will be creating alternate statement and city uniforms for the Knicks as well, so look out for that in the near future!

R6Gdypo.gif

NYC x STL

On 2/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, goforbroke said:

I miss the NYK subway token.   A lot of people didn't realize what it was, but it was actually a really unique logo and it was so well executed and tied into the history of the NY subways.

I don't get the point of the new Knicks in a ball logo. I know they had something like it in the 70s, but i still don't get the point?  Instead of knicks on top of the ball you have knicks inside the ball?   If you're going to have an alternate there should be a reason.   And none of it says or implies New York anywhere.  That could easily be a purple ball and say Lakers and it would make no difference.

813.gif

Vintage_NYC_Subway_Token_Gold_Long_Neckl

I never saw a picture of the actual token before... that makes me like the logo so much more.

As promised, here is my take on the statement uniform:

I really loved the sleeve striping on the current statement uniform, however I felt the general design was boring. Thus, I kept the sleeve design and pant design (with exception to the additions of the new logos). The front is where the uniform takes a totally drastic change, reflecting the design nature of the late 1970s uniforms. The font is the same I used for the logo, just not skewed. The numbers keep the design language from the current set.

The city uniform is gonna be fun though!

Rq3jHHL.gif

NYC x STL

I really like the general direction of this concept -- the bolder shades of blue and orange you've selected provide a much-needed refresh on their classic identity. 

There are a couple inconsistencies on the Association and Icon Edition uniforms that may benefit from some minor tweaks:

1) The neck, armhole, and bottom shorts trim is a double stripe while the waistband and side panel trim is a triple stripe. How come? Perhaps there is a good reason behind it, but on the surface I find it a bit puzzling.

2) The color balance - especially on the waistbands - feels a bit off. The Association Edition uniform feels especially orange-dominant, which takes away from the excellent contrast between the updated color palette. The Icon Edition uniform feels slightly more balanced, but flipping the orange and white on the waistband and side panel trim may help increase that balance. 

As for the Statement Edition uniform, I absolutely love it! I'm a big proponent of the Knicks returning to the numeral-over-wordmark template, and it is different enough from the Icon Edition design to stand on its own. Also, the unified striping pattern across the entire uniform is very sharp.

Great work so far -- definitely excited to see the City Edition uniform!

19 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I really like the general direction of this concept -- the bolder shades of blue and orange you've selected provide a much-needed refresh on their classic identity. 

There are a couple inconsistencies on the Association and Icon Edition uniforms that may benefit from some minor tweaks:

1) The neck, armhole, and bottom shorts trim is a double stripe while the waistband and side panel trim is a triple stripe. How come? Perhaps there is a good reason behind it, but on the surface I find it a bit puzzling.

2) The color balance - especially on the waistbands - feels a bit off. The Association Edition uniform feels especially orange-dominant, which takes away from the excellent contrast between the updated color palette. The Icon Edition uniform feels slightly more balanced, but flipping the orange and white on the waistband and side panel trim may help increase that balance. 

As for the Statement Edition uniform, I absolutely love it! I'm a big proponent of the Knicks returning to the numeral-over-wordmark template, and it is different enough from the Icon Edition design to stand on its own. Also, the unified striping pattern across the entire uniform is very sharp.

Great work so far -- definitely excited to see the City Edition uniform!

1) The triple stripe was how the waistband on the old Knicks uniforms of the 1960s-90s looked (excluding the late 70s), replacing the blander single color look. I flipped the color to match the styling of the shorts and the sleeves.

2) I understand how it would look that way, but in order to try and preserve the look and order, I kept it as such. I tried to see what it would look like if i flipped the two colors on the sleeves and shorts and it just doesn't look as good or classic as the original look.

NYC x STL

As promised, here's an idea of what the city jersey could look like for the knicks, obviously inspired by the NYC subway mosaics. I'm experimenting with other possible designs for the city uniform, but let me know what you think of this one.

aUCjgCE.jpg 

NYC x STL

On 2/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, mattr1198 said:

As promised, here's an idea of what the city jersey could look like for the knicks, obviously inspired by the NYC subway mosaics. I'm experimenting with other possible designs for the city uniform, but let me know what you think of this one.

aUCjgCE.jpg 

Looks fantastic, but is a brick motif really a good idea for a basketball team? I'm sure they've been called "New York Bricks" before when they couldn't hit shots.

18 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Looks fantastic, but is a brick motif really a good idea for a basketball team? I'm sure they've been called "New York Bricks" before when they couldn't hit shots.

This takes me back a few years when Bill Bellamy, Queen Latifa, and Dean Cain would hit the hardwood for Rock N Jock Basketball on MTV.

0M3P4Xa.jpg

XcryMwi.png

On 2/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, MCM0313 said:

Haha I did not know of that. Well, I'll be developing another version of the city uniform that will not be incorporating the brick pattern.

NYC x STL

17 minutes ago, mattr1198 said:

Haha I did not know of that. Well, I'll be developing another version of the city uniform that will not be incorporating the brick pattern.

You've never heard anyone say "brick" when somebody missed a shot? Maybe they don't say that in New York. They definitely do here in Ohio.

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

You've never heard anyone say "brick" when somebody missed a shot? Maybe they don't say that in New York. They definitely do here in Ohio.

Nah we know what bricks are in basketball terms, but I've never heard my Knicks called the Bricks 

NYC x STL

Here's a very outlandish (and kind of crazy) concept I just threw together, invoking the design of not the subway platform but the subway itself. Namely, the all new R211s being installed in the NYC subway system in 2020. Let me know what you think, as I'll work on a more grounded city uniform design in the meantime.

Note the cutoff line, which is where the short would go and show there isnt nearly as much empty space as it looks.

kQEQjIz.gif

NYC x STL

Archived