Gothamite

Green Bay Voyageurs FC (USL League Two) unveil name, logo

Green Bay is getting a club in the USL League Two, and they now have a name and badge. 

GBVFC_PRIMARY_LOGO_011519.png

Details here:

https://www.greenbayvoyageurs.com/news_article/show/993574

The name Voyageurs is a reference to the earliest European settlers of Northeastern Wisconsin. The logo includes a four-paddle canoe symbolic of the early voyageurs’ preferred mode of transportation in the area, stars and a crescent moon and a sash representing the Fox River that connects Green Bay and Lake Winnebago.

The logo is by Matt Wolff, who was behind NYCFC and LAFC as well as PSG’s recent logo change.

The only thing that's bugging me is the staircase treatment for Green Bay and FC. I think a vertical shear, the way the script is presented, would've looked better. 

I rather like the staircase.  That's a selling point.

I do have one problem with it - the V sticks so far out of the shield, without a corresponding extension on the other end, that it unbalances the logo.  If you center the logo, as they invariably will do, the shield will be off-center.  

You can really see it here.

lQsXErsC_400x400.jpg

That same off-balance is also present in the Third Rail logo. 

jJYAVug.png

It's a small thing, doesn't detract from this logo, but there are times it's really going to stand out.  Like this avatar:

SPF2Ob1.png

I feel like the lack of balance works in an odd way... it ties into the vintage feel of the logo.

Either way, it's a drop in the bucket compared to everything they got right about it.  Especially the name.  A lot of early 20th century teams in the US took their name from whatever street or park they played in.  Voyageur Park right outside of Green Bay is one of the area's biggest parks and would have conceivably hosted a team like this.

As a Minnesotan I have to bite my tongue about the obvious joke with the name and acknowledge that this is a very nice logo for a soccer team.

Mega threads are cool, but they don’t replace or exempt single-issue threads.  Especially for something like a primary logo. 

10 hours ago, lbj273 said:

As a Minnesotan I have to bite my tongue about the obvious joke with the name and acknowledge that this is a very nice logo for a soccer team.

Guess I've been out of the Midwest too long.  Or am dense.  Obvious joke...?

50 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Guess I've been out of the Midwest too long.  Or am dense.  Obvious joke...?

Drop a couple letters from the name and you get a NSFW category.

I’m just glad to see that Green Bay is getting more attention in the sports world. Outside of Lambeau Field, that is. They got this, an indoor football team, and a baseball team. Do they have hockey yet?

1 minute ago, BigRed618 said:

I’m just glad to see that Green Bay is getting more attention in the sports world. Outside of Lambeau Field, that is. They got this, an indoor football team, and a baseball team. Do they have hockey yet?

The Green Bay Gamblers.  USHL.

GreenBay.0.jpg

gamblers-logo_3.jpg

1 hour ago, lbj273 said:

Drop a couple letters from the name and you get a NSFW category.

I'm not sure that's exactly an obvious joke.  Especially when the name itself is so common in Green Bay.

I don't get it, what's the joke, come on, I get mad when I don't get dirty jokes.

Gonna guess something to do with voyers or voyering.

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

The Green Bay Gamblers have been going strong for almost a quarter century.  They also had a previous USHL club in the Green Bay Bobcats.

It's not as if various attempts at other sports haven't been tried in Green Bay.  But Northeast Wisconsin is a market with a very decentralized population, with clusters throughout the region.  The biggest metro area in the region is actually the Fox Cities, which is about 30 miles outside of Green Bay.  It's a string of cities and towns along the Fox River clustered around Appleton (pop. 74,600) and continues for another 20 miles on through Oshkosh (pop. 66,000).  Yet Green Bay (pop. 105,000) still manages to be the single biggest city.  

Screenshot-2019-02-12-at-4-35-02-PM.png

Essentially, Green Bay never had a long-term baseball operation largely because the area was always served by the Appleton Foxes or Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in the Midwest League.  

Green Bay does have a D1 basketball team (UWGB) that plays in the arena across the street from Lambeau. But Oshkosh has traditionally hosted various minor league pro hoops clubs in leagues like the CBA.  Oshkosh is about equidistant from Green Bay and Milwaukee and far enough from each to operate without their toes being stepped on.  It's Oshkosh's past success with hosting minor league ball that lead to the Bucks establishing the Wisconsin Herd there (though the promise to build a new arena certainly didn't hurt).

Hockey in the area has always pretty much been limited to Green Bay, though.  Since no other city in the area has ever had a large arena with an ice plant.

It's gonna be interesting to see how soccer plays out.  Because Appleton has a couple facilities that could potentially host clubs (Fox Cities Stadium and the Banta Bowl), and there's a 9,000-seat football facility on the UW-Oshkosh campus.  I feel like we may potentially see three clubs playing within 50 miles of each other.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Gonna guess something to do with voyers or voyering.

It's "voyeur," and that's not even that funny. I feel cheated.

I know, right?

I’m not above a little smut, but it damn well sure better be clever smut. 😛 

Still can’t quite believe that’s good enough that a Minnesotan has to bite his tongue to avoid making the joke. ;) 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I know, right?

I’m not above a little smut, but it damn well sure better be clever smut. 😛 

Still can’t quite believe that’s good enough that a Minnesotan has to bite his tongue to avoid making the joke. ;) 

We make lots of bad jokes at our drunken neighbors expense.  I apologize that my inner 12 year old found it funny and others didn't get it or think it was funny.

Let's get back to the topic at hand which is a well executed logo.  Hopefully the uniforms will be as excellent in execution as this logo is

there’s quite a list of imperfections in the logo (that Y in Green Bay really has a mind of its own) but I suppose the imperfect, caddywampus nature of it leads to the charm. I can’t say I like it, but I can appreciate what it’s going for. I think it could reach its max potential sewn onto a wool sweater