NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Last one - Wolves updated!

Hoopskid

Just for fun. May turn in to a series.

First up - Sacramento Kings.

The baby blue, white, and red uniforms originally worn back in the 80's. Throughout the years the Kings have worn them as hardwood classic jersey and more recently they've been the inspiration behind the Kings' city uniforms.

46393785304_5cc259e9be_o.pngcollage by NBA Uniforms Project, on Flickr

I wanted to keep this trend going for the Kings. However, I also wanted to change it up a bit considering that we will likely see a new city uniform every year. For 2019/20 I designed the Kings city uniform to be predominately white. I was also inspired by the retro Kings' (Royals) jersey with bold simple piping. A little more modern by not including a wordmark - idea was that the colors and design should be easily identifiable. Retro Kings wordmark on shorts and regal emblem on waist band. 

Thoughts? C&C always appreciated.

40152839193_688ba4c93e_o.pngSacKingsCity by NBA Uniforms Project, on Flickr

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff as always. I really like the front of the top, but I think the back on the top is a little too complicated. Maybe just keep it solid white below the scapula? Also, I might put the dribbling lion logo large on one side of the shorts so you have a varied look on both sides.

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

For the back of the jersey, mimic the top of "crown" on the backside, bridging the number on back... Just like on the front.  Then just make the name on back a contrasting color.

I tried that but the back felt a bit too busy.

A couple more teams I'll post over the next couple days.

Here's one for Indiana. Going back to the royal blue and yellow. Shorts piping inspired by Indianapolis' flag and the top is fauxback themed. Thoughts on this one?

46224369335_e2741c6256_o.png

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Indiana Pacers added

Excellent work on the Kings set! It's a wonderfully simple and relevant design, and simplifying the back per Conrad's suggestion makes a big difference. The lion/basketball alternate logo stands out much better on the white uniform, but both sets look very nice!

The Pacers set is also nicely executed -- it reminds me a bit of a modern take on the Nike Rewind retail jerseys from the early 2000s. It lacks the typical contrast of a Pacers uniform given the lighter shade of blue plus the increased role of white over yellow, but it's a nice update to that mid- to late-'80s set that never seems to get the love it deserves.

Great work so far -- definitely looking forward to what's next!

Thanks for the comments!

Next up is...the Phoenix Suns!

Inspiration here was the city flag. This year they wore a jersey with the Arizona flag, so I felt inspired to mix it up and pay homage to the city itself.

I've shifted away from the Los Suns theme and instead "copied" Utah's landscape jersey by incorporating the McDowell mountains on the shorts.

The color is more in line with the Phoenix flag and actually the waist bad incorporates the city flag Phoenix.

The slight gradient is a nod to the 90s.

47086349122_34e743a4d1_o.png

Bumping because I have the next one done.

New Orleans Pelicans - following the tradition of Mardi Gras themed. I wanted this one to be wild and bold yet clean.
Inspired again by the city flag with a unique "wordmark" I intentionally left the number off the front. 1. It cluttered the design. I even tried it in between the Fleur-De-Lis and still didn't look right, but in today's NBA I don't think it's a necessity. The trim is not the typically even 3 lines, it's intended to mimic the dimensions of the city flag. 
Crescent City basketball logo on shorts and mismatching purple and green accents that pay homage to the original mardi gras uniform they wore.
The back has a faint detail inspired by the city's detailed architecture and old royal French garments. Bonus socks added.

32236653597_7e0f01c7ec_o.png

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Pelicans added

The color palette on that Suns uniform is wonderfully unique -- a perfect mix between the city flag and the team's identity. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the subtle gradient applied across all three horizontal elements on the uniform, and it's outstanding. Awesome work here!

The Pelicans concept is incredibly well thought out, too. There are infinite ways a Mardi Gras-themed uniform design can go awry, but everything from your flag-inspired trim to the way you've balanced the green and purple on the fronts and backs of the shoulders and the shorts legs is excellent. The sublimated pattern on the back of the jersey as well as the socks are very nice touches as well. I'm also on board with your decision to exclude front numerals -- it fits well in this era of uniform design and contributes nicely to the wild and bold, yet clean look -- which you nailed.

Fantastic work again!

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Blazers added

Not 100% sold on these so I'll post to get some feedback. The first is Orlando. Idea here was to step back from the sky pattern/gradients and simplify things. The intent of the wordmark is to mimic the reflection of Orlando's downtown over the water - which ties in to the black (night sky) top and blue jersey. The bold waist band was intended to add a little modern flair and the star on the shorts is a nod to Orlando's original jersey.

The next is Miami. I'll probably do another Miami one here soon, but thought it'd be fun to have a Dwayne Wade "the flash" tribute. Not necessarily something I'd like to see - but with the Lakers having a black mamba and magic jersey, and the Wolves and Nets both having uniforms inspired by people I don't think it's too crazy for the Heat to have a Wade tribute uniform.

This one obviously playing off of his nickname and drawing inspiration from the flash superhero outfit. Thoughts?

47233424841_0979452a2e_b.jpg

46509869404_ddb9e99226_b.jpg

The Blazers look nice and clean -- nothing too wild, but something unique enough only they could wear it. (I can't unsee the Iverson-era Sixers with the color palette, but that's a personal issue. Absolutely nothing against the design!) Would it be weird to include vertical pinstripes on the shorts? When experimenting with the Blazers I've attempted diagonal jersey pinstripes with vertical shorts pinstripes as sort of a stripped down version of their sash-and-side-panel design....I couldn't make it work, but it looks like it could work here!

I'm excited to see the Magic move away from the sky motif. It never quite fit to begin with, let alone to use again for a second straight year. I absolutely love the font you chose, and the treatment on the wordmark and shorts stars is subtly awesome. I've found it difficult to create something refreshing yet mature for the Magic, but I think you've done an excellent job of that here. My only suggestion might be to tinker with the shade of blue -- I can't quite tell if it's my monitor or if it's a bit dull.

The Flash-themed Heat uniform is awesome! Tribute uniforms seem to be very hit or miss, but this one is too fitting to be anything but a hit. I'll be excited to see what else you come up with for them!

2 hours ago, Hoopskid said:

Not 100% sold on these so I'll post to get some feedback. The first is Orlando. Idea here was to step back from the sky pattern/gradients and simplify things. The intent of the wordmark is to mimic the reflection of Orlando's downtown over the water - which ties in to the black (night sky) top and blue jersey. The bold waist band was intended to add a little modern flair and the star on the shorts is a nod to Orlando's original jersey.

The next is Miami. I'll probably do another Miami one here soon, but thought it'd be fun to have a Dwayne Wade "the flash" tribute. Not necessarily something I'd like to see - but with the Lakers having a black mamba and magic jersey, and the Wolves and Nets both having uniforms inspired by people I don't think it's too crazy for the Heat to have a Wade tribute uniform.

This one obviously playing off of his nickname and drawing inspiration from the flash superhero outfit. Thoughts?

47233424841_0979452a2e_b.jpg

The magic one is almost there. I like the stars by the numbers, I like the new retro-ish font. But the “reflection” doesn’t work tbh. In a theory it sounds like a good idea ig, and maybe with some tweaking it could, but it would reflect the top of the letters, for example the G, wouldn’t look like a g, it would be two top half’s, making it look like a C. I would suggest getting rid of the black part and filling in the font (getting rid of the ripple lines) and adding pinstripes to the whole thing bc the magic belong in pinstripes. And maybe model the shorts Stars after the Shaq era shorts.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback!

Still working on the Magic update but in the meantime here's a really bold Hawks uniform.

This is actually a design I did a couple years ago but I still love how the Hawks' logo can be seamlessly tied into the piping. Inspiration from that vintage Hawks set we all know from the 80s.

I wanted the black to pop off the volt and just have touches of red. TBH the uniform may look better in a graphite or red but for 2019/20 the color would be volt :P

Thoughts? 

32401635677_0aed6197a7_b.jpg

• Hoopskid changed the title to NBA 2019 City Jersey Concepts - Hawks Added

All great designs!!!!! Nice work.  Here are my opinions/thoughts/ideas:

Kings:  Wow, so much to love here. I love the treatment on the chest.  The Kings would sell SO many of these if these got the green light. No changes. 

Pacers:  Good not great, it's a nice design with a nod to the 90s but it needs something else.  Two suggestions. Maybe try to create some movement with the numbers by matching the italic font or look at the Pacers jersey from 85 - 90.  That wordmark across the chest could set this baby on fire. 

Suns: This has major potential. Couple of ideas here: Pay attention to how the orange chest stripe across the front finishes under the arm since there is no side stripe.  It might look strange if it just stops. Also, try to find more assertive peaks on the McDowell mountain graphic.  If you are doing a silhouette skyline it has to communicate mountain range even if they have never seen the McDowell. Might be cool to play with a cactus in the design somewhere.

Pelicans: The NBA requires a player to have a number on the front.  Not a huge deal for a concept but thought I would mention it. Nice touch on the socks. You nailed the colors but I would tweak the chest design.  There is so much history and culture to pull from in New Orleans.

Blazers:  Solid design, but almost exactly like every other one of their jerseys which I think was the point.  For a concept though.......I would push the limits a bit more.

Magic: This and the Kings are the best in this series so far.  Phoenix has potential to be on the same level as well. Outstanding.  I might try a slight stroke in black the MAGIC font on the front so the white doesn't get lost in the blue during the transition. (it may already be there and I can't see it)  This jersey is absolute fire.  One idea though:  I'd try to transition the black on top to the back neckline like the current Timberwolves jersey does with the blue. Nike loves to use design features that highlight that new jersey construction but I actually think it would make this design a little more unique.  This one would also fly off the shelves. 

Heat: Not feeling this one. I would go deeper into Wade's connection to the franchise and community.  Not sure how.  I do know what needs to go on the jock tag line:  Miami-Wade County.

Hawks:  Is it just me or does anyone else hate the Hawks highlighter color?  This design is really solid outside of the colors.  I love the line/bird design on the shorts. For a city edition, would love to see a version of this in the 70-72 blue/green alternates with blue as the primary.  Nike really likes to keep these outside the traditional team color palettes.

Overall I love these, amazing work! 

Archived